PC Overheating

Koby

Drivers can affect things like video cards. Not so much CPU (which is apparently the problem).

Reinstalling everything would be another step after you've checked the cooler (i.e. taken it out, listened to it, touched it, cleaned it, sniffed it, kicked it) and it is indeed still working as intended.

It just instantly shuts off. Then sometimes I when I turn it back on it goes to the screen about windows not shutting down properly and perhaps try safe mode, etc..

I have to wait a while for PC to cool down before turning it back on though. Otherwise it just shuts back off before it even loads windows.

Just another option... read this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356311-28-overheats-apparent-reason#3252485 (should be the 4th post from the OP)

Though thinking about it, IF this was the case, your water cooler should handle it just fine and shouldn't cause the automatic shut down to trip. But yeah just more food for thought?

Just curious because a lot of reviews on Cnet's Download.com speak about it being bundled with a lot of malware...

I have used Speedfan once before, and while the only malware may come from cnets side of things, AVG and Malwarebytes did not detect anything when I was running it. 

There is a DDL on Speedfan's website that you linked, to be safe, I would use that.

Also (I don't know if it applies to  AMD chips, but going to assume it does), you could check the CPU temp in the BIOS, as the BIOS pushes through the maximum voltage when you enter it. I.e. This would run the CPU at the maximum voltage set to it, and higher voltage equals higher temperature. Might also be worth resetting all the CPU settings to factory defaults unless you have specifically overclocked for something?   

• 2 weeks later...

You can turn on logging. Open SpeedFan > Configure, then highlight the temperature you want to monitor (in this case, the CPU and its cores). When highlighted, a checkbox labelled 'Log' will appear in the section bellow this list. Tick it for each temperature you want to log.

With the 'Configure' window still open, jump to the Log tab. Tick enable.

You will now have a nice csv file in SpeedFan's installation directory~

Edit: Picture to make things pretty:95eec6add6.png

Edited by JohnFlower

Can you screenshot the entire SpeedFan > Configure window? The 'Temperatures' tab.

3bb1f4d0cc.png

My cpu has 8-cores... but I only see 3 temps... and the rest is hard drives and gpu...

which it appears it's not reading the fan speed of the fan attached to the gfx card.

I would now be checking:

a) where the thing is plugged in and

B) drivers (specifically chipset).

Make sure the CPU cooler is plugged into the CPU fan port. It should be right next to the CPU socket.

The CPU fans are plugged into some other wires that run around and plug into other shit and back to my modular psu. looks like the cpu fan ports aren't being used.

I was looking at RealTemp but it seems to only support Intel chips.

I use an AMD FX-8150.

I don't like AMD processor it always give problem. I have 2 build normal PC run on AMD FX-6100 and AMD FX-8150 it is bound to crash or shutdown easily.  I prefer Intel better since I never have any problem mine is Intel Core i7-3970X Processor Extreme Edition and it is expansive to get it

Edited by TokyoSama

looks like the cpu fan ports aren't being used.

Just double check this.Windows/your motherboard can detect when there isn't a fan "plugged in" for the CPU, and thus will shut down your PC as it thinks your CPU is overheating. This will specifically be the case if its a 4 pin compared to a 3 pin. Like JF said:

Make sure the CPU cooler is plugged into the CPU fan port. It should be right next to the CPU socket.

Going by the temps that you posted though they do seem higher than what they should be for the cooling you have and what you are doing. So there may still be an issue there.

Just double check this.Windows/your motherboard can detect when there isn't a fan "plugged in" for the CPU, and thus will shut down your PC as it thinks your CPU is overheating. This will specifically be the case if its a 4 pin compared to a 3 pin.

During POST, most (all? Citation needed) motherboards will automatically turn off if they do not detect a fan in the port labelled 'cpu_fan'. Windows wont tell you anything if you manage to boot without a CPU cooler.

Going by the temps that you posted though they do seem higher than what they should be for the cooling you have and what you are doing. So there may still be an issue there.

Not if they aren't being controlled by anything... If you have connected the fans for the CPU cooler to regular fan ports on the motherboard, they will not be controlled by the temperature sensors inside the CPU unless you have specified to do so in some software package. (This assumes you already have the main CPU cooler unit plugged into the cpu_fan port.)

I don't like AMD processor it always give problem. I have 2 build normal PC run on AMD FX-6100 and AMD FX-8150 it is bound to crash or shutdown easily.

I'm just going to ignore this...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing a bit of reading up on the issue and such and learning a bit more about how to troubleshoot the issue and such...

I also looked up more information on my CPU; which apparently is designed for a max temp of 61°C.

I'm beginning to wonder if my issue is actually a problem of overheating or not.

I've taken a look at Even Viewer and this is what it shows under Critical:

db229ff1f7.png

Which if you go into shows this:

29f2614e79.png

and it just keeps going and going till back in October 2013, which if I remember correctly would have been around the time the issue started arising with the PC shutting itself off.

This is the general info tab:

b249e61a2b.png

This is the details it shows:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-07-21T04:15:35.500000000Z

EventRecordID 104687

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4

[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer MAGE-FX

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0

BugcheckParameter1 0x0

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress false

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Now if I'm understanding this correctly... does that mean there is likely an issue with my PSU (power supply unit) or could all this be caused simply from overheating?

Googling the issue seems to suggest three things that could be the issue: Overheating, ram issue, or PSU failure.

run the logger keep it going for awhile then intentionally run the pc to overheat nad check the log file if youve hit like 61 then you're probably overheating,

on further checking i found this on your critical error

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem.

it may or may not be the psu thats your computer logging everytime your system bombs

Thinking more on it, there is definitely a heating issue here; but whether it's the only issue I haven't determined. BIOS was reporting my CPU temp at 82°C earlier and the case was really hot to the touch. The PC when it's like this after initially shutting off, will sometimes shut off when you turn it back on before you even get to the welcome/login screen for Windows. Waiting a bit seems to help, which I assume is simply because it gives time for the PC to cool back down.

Also, if I install an extra fan to the top of the case, should it be blowing air down into the case, or pulling air out of the case? Right now there is one fan in the front of the case pooling air in, then there is the two CPU fans on the radiator for the cpu cooler which is then attached to the back of the case to push the air out the back.