PC Overheating

Koby

Just get a Cooler master hyper 212 evo and save yourself some money  Air cooling  is safer for your other parts in the long run anyway.

This. Hyper 212 EVO is like $35. People saying the H80i cools better: Well, duh. Did you look at the cooling surface area and the price difference? It's an $85 cooler.

This is just my opinion, but based on my experience, unless you need to use these closed loop coolers (zero maintenance) for lack-of-space reasons, don't bother. They are expensive and don't work all that well from my experience (owned a H50 and a H100).

You're much better off going one of four routes:

1. stock cooling. works just fine when not overclocking.

2. Hyper 212 EVO or similar, $25-40

3. Large heatsinks. These work extremely well and are very quiet. They honestly have worked better for me than my H100 or H50 ever did. Examples are Thermalright Silverarrow, Akasa Medusa, Noctua NH-D15/NH-D14, Phantecs TC-14 (or similar models).

4. A full liquid cooling system. Do not jump into this in a hurry. You have to plan everything such as: pump, reservoir, tubing, fittings, waterblocks, coolant, etc. I buy my liquid cooling parts from FrozenCPU.com. Warning: This is a very expensive option and a full system of parts is knocking on $200 starting price.

Hope this helps you. if your corsair cooler is indeed dead, get it replaced under warranty.

EDIT: These closed loop systems really are a bad idea--mixing copper parts with an aluminum radiator is a big big no-no.

Edited by FMA1394

No budget was mentioned, so I don't know why you bring up price.

We don't know the previous model of cooler (that was my original question). If it was Corsair, send it for an RMA. They all have 5 year guarantees.

Big nono? I'm pretty sure Corsair would use measures to prevent corrosion...

@MoodKiller, have you ever owned an AIO water cooler?

The point being, which would be the most effective wallet friendly cooling. Not looking to spend $100s, but I need to do something as my current setup is obviously not working right.

As for warranty with Corsair, what if I don't have any receipt or anything about it?

The point being, which would be the most effective wallet friendly cooling. Not looking to spend $100s, but I need to do something as my current setup is obviously not working right.

As for warranty with Corsair, what if I don't have any receipt or anything about it?

Every time I have dealt with corsair warranty support, they have never asked for a receipt.

Source: I have warrantied a M60  once and a Vengeance 2000 headset twice.

Edited by FMA1394

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo then is still my recommendation, and you could buy an extra fan from them to give you more performance if you really need it :)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo then is still my recommendation, and you could buy an extra fan from them to give you more performance if you really need it :)

and which fan would you recommend?

I thought there would be more obvious choices for cosmetics, but don't really see anything besides some color-bands that come with some corsair fans.

I'm tired of my PC shutting itself off and want to get something done about it quickly, yet cheaply. No job currently and raising a baby so...

I have money put back though, but the less spent the better.

Last time I tried a liquid cooling system it leaked and destroyed my PC, they look cool but you are way better off with some good fans.

I wouldn't say the brand matters as long as it can provide good cooling for your system. A small tip but some computers from the factory don't come with good thermal pasting for the CPU, if you redo it with a better paste you can reduce temperatures slightly without adding extra fans.

Last time I tried a liquid cooling system it leaked and destroyed my PC, they look cool but you are way better off with some good fans.

Fun act: almost all leaks are caused by the user who installed the system, or the one using the system.

@Koby, if you have to get the fans separately, you will quickly end up paying a lot more. Price the D14/15 or Thermalright's SilverArrow.

and which fan would you recommend?

Just the same default fan that comes with the cooler. So another one of these http://www.cmstore-usa.com/hyper-212-evo-120mm-fan-oem-package/. Doesnt look like it comes with the mounting brackets, but I have a feeling there are spare in the CPU cooler box. (Just double check in case)

I thought there would be more obvious choices for cosmetics, but don't really see anything besides some color-bands that come with some corsair fans.

I'm tired of my PC shutting itself off and want to get something done about it quickly, yet cheaply. No job currently and raising a baby so...

I have money put back though, but the less spent the better.

Yeah unfortunately Cooler Master isn't big into cosmetics with their lower ranged coolers, but unless you have a windowed case, its pointless at this stage.

Just thinking, and TokyoSama touches on it, but are you sure its over heating??? Something like a power supply, motherboard or CPU all on the brink of breaking would cause what you described in your OP. But in the same breath, over heating also fits the bill...Though it would be every time you startup your computer and would happen at almost the same time after boot up (if it gets that far), not one or 2 weeks late as you described. 

are you sure its over heating??? Something like a power supply, motherboard or CPU all on the brink of breaking would cause what you described in your OP. But in the same breath, over heating also fits the bill...Though it would be every time you startup your computer and would happen at almost the same time after boot up (if it gets that far), not one or 2 weeks late as you described. 

Well it's happening pretty much anytime I extensively use the PC for. Even just going crazy with tabs in FireFox or playing a game... when the PC gets really hot, the case is hot to the touch close to where the cpu is located... that's when it shuts off..

When I first got the liquid cooler.. the air coming out the back of the case was ALWAYS cool.. now it's warm just booting up PC; then it's really hot just before it shuts off. The air is never cool like it use to be even when idling. I have noticed the fans speed up or slow down depending on how hot things are. The fans also are not directly plugged into the mobo; but instead plugged into the other wiring if you know what I mean.

are you sure its over heating??? Something like a power supply, motherboard or CPU all on the brink of breaking would cause what you described in your OP. But in the same breath, over heating also fits the bill...Though it would be every time you startup your computer and would happen at almost the same time after boot up (if it gets that far), not one or 2 weeks late as you described. 

Well it's happening pretty much anytime I extensively use the PC for. Even just going crazy with tabs in FireFox or playing a game... when the PC gets really hot, the case is hot to the touch close to where the cpu is located... that's when it shuts off..

When I first got the liquid cooler.. the air coming out the back of the case was ALWAYS cool.. now it's warm just booting up PC; then it's really hot just before it shuts off. The air is never cool like it use to be even when idling. I have noticed the fans speed up or slow down depending on how hot things are. The fans also are not directly plugged into the mobo; but instead plugged into the other wiring if you know what I mean.

Hmm I see, alright, well going on that then, I think its safe to put it down to overheating. If it was something else, I think it would have given up by now. Its interesting that you say the air is warm/hot now, as you would think if the cooler was working, that air should normally be warm as the coolant in radiator is being heated up by the CPU and blown "off" the radiator. If that makes sense. Like the radiator in a car.

Anywho, one final question, how does the computer shutdown? Does it shut down as if you have clicked shut down button? Or does it turn off as if the power cord had been pulled out?

Without taking the thing apart, you may never know what the problem is. You cant judge whether the cooler is broken based on the temperature of the air coming out >_>

Edit: oh, and install speedfan or something. Maybe it can log temperatures to a file so you can monitor whether it is the CPU cooking itself.

Edited by JohnFlower

It just instantly shuts off. Then sometimes I when I turn it back on it goes to the screen about windows not shutting down properly and perhaps try safe mode, etc..

I have to wait a while for PC to cool down before turning it back on though. Otherwise it just shuts back off before it even loads windows.

I have a liquid cooling system which is suppose to require no maintenance. When I first built the PC, you could feel the air coming out of it and it'd be cool. Now the air coming out is always warm or hot.

My PC keeps shutting itself off; which I assume it's overheating.

I've taken the two fans off of both sides of the radiator-thing and cleaned it all with canned-air. It helps, but it doesn't take but a few weeks before I seem to be in the same problem again.

Is there something I can do to prevent my PC from getting overheated and shutting off?

Is there something I'm missing about the whole liquid-cooling system (it's my first)?

It's to the point my PC will overheat and shut off while simply idling sometimes. So doing any real work such as gaming or video encoding is completely out of the question. :/

Here some steps that helped me. For me it was faulty drivers.

1. Remove dust if any

2. Do a driver sweep and reinstall drivers.

3. Reninstall Windows and drivers.

I have a liquid cooling system which is suppose to require no maintenance. When I first built the PC, you could feel the air coming out of it and it'd be cool. Now the air coming out is always warm or hot.

My PC keeps shutting itself off; which I assume it's overheating.

I've taken the two fans off of both sides of the radiator-thing and cleaned it all with canned-air. It helps, but it doesn't take but a few weeks before I seem to be in the same problem again.

Is there something I can do to prevent my PC from getting overheated and shutting off?

Is there something I'm missing about the whole liquid-cooling system (it's my first)?

It's to the point my PC will overheat and shut off while simply idling sometimes. So doing any real work such as gaming or video encoding is completely out of the question. :/

Here some steps that helped me. For me it was faulty drivers.

1. Remove dust if any

2. Do a driver sweep and reinstall drivers.

3. Reninstall Windows and drivers.

...why would you reinstall drivers when the computer is shutting down automatically due to over-heating? Drivers would have no effect on this problem. Neither would a reinstall of Windows, since the auto-shut down feature would be controlled by the motherboard's BIOS and not the OS.

Also if you had read the earlier posts, Koby said he already cleaned out dust.

Edited by RikuoAmero