PC Overheating

Koby

You should reconsider getting a custom liquid cooling system instead of brand name product for better performance like mine. I have 3 Dual Radiators, a pump adapter and 15 led fan on my pc

Edited by TokyoSama

You should reconsider getting a custom liquid cooling system instead of brand name product for better performance like mine

and where would you obtain/find custom made ones? IDK anyone who makes em.

You should reconsider getting a custom liquid cooling system instead of brand name product for better performance like mine

and where would you obtain/find custom made ones? IDK anyone who makes em.

These can be found on koolance site. My PC was build by professional and use koolance product 

Just get a Cooler master hyper 212 evo and save yourself some money  Air cooling  is safer for your other parts in the long run anyway.

I am going to have to agree with the new user on this one. The 212+ (plus) or 212 Evo (the one I currently own) is the best value for money cooler you can get. Full water cooling kits get too complicated are are just a mission and are only good for extreme overclockers/gamers. By the sounds of it either the Hyper 212 Plus/Evo will or H80i will do what you want it to. I am currently running an i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz (overclocked from 2.67Ghz), Idle temp is  ~30°C and at 100% load, it goes over no more than ~65°C .

Though the 212 Plus/Evo won't beat the H80i, the temperature difference negligible to the price difference IMHO.

Just get a Cooler master hyper 212 evo and save yourself some money  Air cooling  is safer for your other parts in the long run anyway.

I am going to have to agree with the new user on this one. The 212+ (plus) or 212 Evo (the one I currently own) is the best value for money cooler you can get. Full water cooling kits get too complicated are are just a mission and are only good for extreme overclockers/gamers. By the sounds of it either the Hyper 212 Plus/Evo will or H80i will do what you want it to. I am currently running an i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz (overclocked from 2.67Ghz), Idle temp is  ~30°C and at 100% load, it goes over no more than ~65°C .

Though the 212 Plus/Evo won't beat the H80i, the temperature difference negligible to the price difference IMHO.

How much of a difference? Because from what I see it's a $55 price difference. Though it comes with just one fan. Which fans would you recommend to replace with?

Anyone else have any take on this? Is air-cooling sufficient? Is air-coolers likely to last longer? My current liquid cooler isn't really that old, so if it's really bust... well IDK.

Air coolers are cheaper, sure. There are two major downsides though: cooling and noise. They're worse at cooling your shit and make a lot of noise doing it. You'll also have shoddy build quality if you get the el cheapo ones.

You should be aiming a little higher than anything Cooler Master, too. I've found their build quality is shit for most price ranges and products. I used to have various Cooler Master products, including a HAF X (holy shitbad) and a v8 CPU cooler (broken in a box). They have since been replaced by Corsair and Noctua.

Cheap coolers come with even cheaper fans. So you're right to replace them (which adds to the overall price if you want decent ones). The only problem you may face is getting the correct size and screw measurements. Some coolers will only support their own branded fans, i.e. Cooler Master fans for Cooler Master coolers.

My recommendation: if you want to go air, get a Noctua. They have a decent range. Just make sure to select one that fits your case (some coolers cover ram dimm slots, or may be too tall). It doesn't have to be expensive, but you may want to note the price difference to that of, say, an h80i.

If you go Noctua, you will not need to replace the fans. You may want to add another, though.

How much of a difference? Because from what I see it's a $55 price difference. Though it comes with just one fan. Which fans would you recommend to replace with?

Anyone else have any take on this? Is air-cooling sufficient? Is air-coolers likely to last longer? My current liquid cooler isn't really that old, so if it's really bust... well IDK.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/923?vs=937 (comparison at the bottom). This should give you an idea. You can also choose any other products you want to compare. So according to this, the temp difference is about 7°C between the 212 Evo and H80i... $55 for 7°C?? I wouldn't mind my CPU running that little bit hotter. Bearing in mind that Intel's (assuming you using Intel) recommended max running temp is about 90°C. Fan wise I would recommend anything from Noctua or be quiet!

John Flower makes a good point where mounting the new/differnt fans may become an issue. I am very happy with the noise level and performance levels of the stock fan I have on my 212 Evo. The fan only runs at about 75% of its maximum at 100% load. You are going to end up paying about half to the full price of the cooler for one extra fan...

Are air coolers likely to last longer?, yes most definitely. There are less moving parts, less variables to wear them down and less stresses on them. 

Air coolers are cheaper, sure. There are two major downsides though: cooling and noise. They're worse at cooling your shit and make a lot of noise doing it. You'll also have shoddy build quality if you get the el cheapo ones.

Not all of them... like you mentioned, look at some of Noctua's ranges, they beat things like the H80i and H100i. 

Just make sure to select one that fits your case (some coolers cover ram dimm slots, or may be too tall). It doesn't have to be expensive, but you may want to note the price difference to that of, say, an h80i.

If you go Noctua, you will not need to replace the fans. You may want to add another, though.

I second all of the above. Just small things to keep in mind. The 212 Evo will fit in most case as far as Im aware, I will have to check on the case that you have, but it looks like it will. 

Are air coolers likely to last longer?, yes most definitely. There are less moving parts, less variables to wear them down and less stresses on them.

Yes, they have less moving parts, but that doesn't mean that they will last longer. It's a simple case of 'get what you pay for' when you buy cheap coolers. Oh, and don't forget to mention the risk of breaking your motherboard with those massive things...

Not all of them... like you mentioned, look at some of Noctua's ranges, they beat things like the H80i and H100i.

Beat? Link, please. An h100(i) (or similar) with push-pull config will beat any air cooler out there. Don't know about the h80(i), but I suspect it would perform well enough.

Yes, they have less moving parts, but that doesn't mean that they will last longer. It's a simple case of 'get what you pay for' when you buy cheap coolers. Oh, and don't forget to mention the risk of breaking your motherboard with those massive things...

Lol only if you went with something like the Noctua NH-D14 then yes, that thing sitting on a vertical motherboard would probably break something. Hence my suggestion for the 212 plus and Evo (they are just shy of 1Kg and dont need extra support). There are worse coolers though. . . 

Beat? Link, please. An h100(i) (or similar) with push-pull config will beat any air cooler out there. Don't know about the h80(i), but I suspect it would perform well enough.

Staying with the Noctua, it beats the H100i with stock settings:

"The CPU stock speed testing was conducted with the BIOS defaults set for the CPU and Turbo Mode disabled, equating to a 3.4GHz CPU speed, 1600MHz memory speed, and 100MHz base clock." 

01-ivy-stock.png

AND when it gets overclocked: 

"The CPU overclocked speed testing was conducted with known stable settings from a previous board review for the CPU with Turbo Mode disabled, equating to a 4.4GHz CPU speed, 1960MHz memory speed, and 105MHz base clock."

02-ivy-oc.png

Source

Edit: The H100i beats the H80i, so we will assume that the above also applies to the H80i, which is what Koby is looking at anyways.

Edited by Moodkiller

Your link is obviously rigged. Every review I checked said the h100 was better at cooling with stock hardware. This is for the h100, of course, but I doubt there is much difference in cooling compared to the i model. Note the cooling difference between the h100 and the h80 is ~5°C at full load.

Anyway, just needed to point out a few things...

AIO water coolers

Pros:

• More clearance/more room to work, which leads to higher airflow
  • Virtually silent at idle
  • Easy to clean
Cons:
  • More points of failure
  • Arguably more expensive
  • Louder with higher fan settings (i.e. full load)
Air coolers

Pros:

• Cheaper
  • Higher performance:dollar ratio
  • Quieter with higher fan settings (i.e. full load)
Cons:
  • Lower performance
  • HUGE. May have problems if user does not have low profile dimms. Slows airflow. May not fit in case at all
  • Potential to break things if pc is moved/dropped while installed
  • Harder to clean
Edit: Grammar? Who needs that shit. Edited by JohnFlower

Your link is obviously rigged. 

lol so are yours and aren't the all?? My link shows that the Noctua beats the H100i by 3 degrees and your link/s show that that the H100i beats the Noctua by 3 degrees... So you could say that they are both the same. This is from one of your links, the stock and load temps for the different coolers are both the same -_-

8ffac597ec.png

AIO water coolers

Pros:
  • More clearance/more room to work, which leads to higher airflow (agreed)
  • Virtually silent at idle (all fans are below 700rpm, or at idle speed)
  • Easy to clean (dont know, the radiator fins are smaller and closer spaced than the fins on air coolers)
Cons:
  • More points of failure (agreed)
  • Arguably more expensive (second that)
  • Louder with higher fan settings (i.e. full load) (yup, same with air coolers)
Air coolers

Pros:

• Cheaper (agreed)
  • Higher performance:dollar ratio (agreed)
  • Quieter with higher fan settings (i.e. full load) (agreed)
  • Easy to clean as well (agreed) <<that edit>>
Cons:
  • Lower performance (arguably)
  • HUGE. May have problems if user does not have low profile dimms. Slows airflow. May not fit in case at all (Noctua, yes, Cooler Master, not in comparison)
  • Potential to break things if pc is moved/dropped while installed (same with AIO)
  • Harder to clean (sill disagree, especially when its only one fan and heatsink wide)

Good summary and points though, I think we should leave it up to Koby now to decide.  

Edited by Moodkiller