What Media Player do you use to watch downloaded videos?

Kid Ryan

What Media Player do you use to watch downloaded videos?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. What Media Player do you use to watch downloaded videos?

• Winamp
    • Media Player Classic and/or Home Cinema (MPC-HC)
    • BS Player
    • GOM Player
    • MPlayer and/or MPlayer Extended
    • Windows Media Player
    • Zoom Player
    • RealPlayer (this not dead yet?)
    • DivX Player
    • KMPlayer
    • Quicktime
    • VLC Player
    • Other (Tell Us/Please Explain)

Wow...The Poll says that VLC is bad. I love it, it runs everything I need including DVD's and runs them well. I don't have any problems with it and it's very easy to customize to my own personal settings that I like to use.

Media Player Classic on the other hand, I've used it, I'll admit it helps me sometimes when I have issues with a video that for whatever reason doesn't open in VLC(It's honestly only happened to me once or twice). But it's slow in starting up, I don't feel like there are as many options with it, and sometimes it just doesn't run the subtitles or the audio, so I have to exit out, restart the video, and Wait for it to load back up again.

Windows Media Player??? An Acceptable Option??? It's the reason I switched to VLC in the first place, it's just bad and doesn't play MKV's.

I agree with all the others though.

Wow...The Poll says that VLC is bad. I love it, it runs everything I need including DVD's and runs them well. I don't have any problems with it and it's very easy to customize to my own personal settings that I like to use.

Media Player Classic on the other hand, I've used it, I'll admit it helps me sometimes when I have issues with a video that for whatever reason doesn't open in VLC(It's honestly only happened to me once or twice). But it's slow in starting up, I don't feel like there are as many options with it, and sometimes it just doesn't run the subtitles or the audio, so I have to exit out, restart the video, and Wait for it to load back up again.

Windows Media Player??? An Acceptable Option??? It's the reason I switched to VLC in the first place, it's just bad and doesn't play MKV's.

I agree with all the others though.

The mini-review in the poll of the players were based on some review site that tested with 100 people. It was reliable but now that is a little outdated. VLC is no where near as buggy as it was years ago but it's still one of the shittiest ones out there. It uses old versions of codecs that are often broken and it's playback setup allows the ability to play incomplete or broken files which at times could be a bad thing as fail encoders believe their encodes to work when it's only working cause of bad VLC settings.

I get too many people emailing or contacting me with video problems on the main site and 90%+ of the problems are solved just by getting rid of VLC and switching to CCCP. Which is why I REFUSE to give tech support on such a bad player.

This world is full of ignorant people, but hey if it works for them they think it's perfect because they really don't know any of the behind the scenes technical babble of anything at all. Good so it works for them, they are the lucky 1% or so that just haven't found something that didn't.

By the way if you had problems with CCCP it was either a faulty install or a bad video file. I've ran at least 22,000 video files through it without a problem and I've never out of all the hundreds of problems people have had, had a problem with CCCP that wasn't either a faulty install or a crappy computer trying to run it, or an incomplete download.

I really only use two media players on any OS I'm using. MPC-HC, VLC for windows, and Mplayer, VLC for linux. While I won't debate that mpc-hc has better playback then vlc, I do not believe that vlc is as bad as it's being made out to be. Like any other player out there vlc has problems, but the one thing I do like is that it is intended to be completely open source while mpc-hc (using cccp) requires microsoft's dxva. As for the player review, I recognize it almost word for word from cccp's wiki. I have no idea if this is the original source, but if it is I would personally call it a bit bias.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that if you use vlc and like it, then there is really no need to change players. If you are however interested in testing the difference in playback between the two (or you're having playback issues). Then I would recommend watching a video, side by side, in both players that has alot of solid black in it. You will clearly see that mpc-hc has a brighter and sharper image. I guess I should also say that I'm in no way a professional, but in my 7-8 years of watching videos on my pc. I have failed to ever have any problem with vlc that caused my to say "this player is evil".

I really do feel for koby over the endless emails he has to deal with because of vlc, but instead of taking it out everyone that uses vlc. I would just make a comment on the main home page, that no one can miss, saying "VLC is not supported on this site, any person asking for help regarding VLC will be ignored". "If you are having problems with playback, please switch to a supported player like MPC-HC." "Failure to adhere to this rule could result in being banned."

The mini-review in the poll of the players were based on some review site that tested with 100 people. It was reliable but now that is a little outdated. VLC is no where near as buggy as it was years ago but it's still one of the shittiest ones out there. It uses old versions of codecs that are often broken and it's playback setup allows the ability to play incomplete or broken files which at times could be a bad thing as fail encoders believe their encodes to work when it's only working cause of bad VLC settings.

I get too many people emailing or contacting me with video problems on the main site and 90%+ of the problems are solved just by getting rid of VLC and switching to CCCP. Which is why I REFUSE to give tech support on such a bad player.

This world is full of ignorant people, but hey if it works for them they think it's perfect because they really don't know any of the behind the scenes technical babble of anything at all. Good so it works for them, they are the lucky 1% or so that just haven't found something that didn't.

By the way if you had problems with CCCP it was either a faulty install or a bad video file. I've ran at least 22,000 video files through it without a problem and I've never out of all the hundreds of problems people have had, had a problem with CCCP that wasn't either a faulty install or a crappy computer trying to run it, or an incomplete download.

It's not that it didn't work, it's just slow to load up files, and everyone in a while fails to load the subtitles. And this is the second computer I've installed it on, and if it's as you say and it's installed incorrectly twice, then it's not all that great.

I doubt it's my computer because I can run the same files much quicker on any other media player(As long as it plays the format). If I have no other options I'll use it, but I'd rather not.

As for the whole codecs thing, yeah I've had a few problems with that, but as I said, I do use other players as a Back Up. VLC is just the main one I use. I don't think any of the other players are bad, just VLC is the one I prefer.

I really do feel for koby over the endless emails he has to deal with because of vlc, but instead of taking it out everyone that uses vlc. I would just make a comment on the main home page, that no one can miss, saying "VLC is not supported on this site, any person asking for help regarding VLC will be ignored". "If you are having problems with playback, please switch to a supported player like MPC-HC." "Failure to adhere to this rule could result in being banned."

Um...if this were facebook...I would have hit the like button on that. XD

@Rob you can fix alot of the things I mentioned in my last post by playing with the filters. Mainly the Image Adjust and Sharpen filters are the ones that I would recommend. Regardless of how much playing you do, you will still get artifact lines in vlc that won't show up as bad in mpc-hc. VLC still doesn't preform as well when playing HD video either.

I personally think mpc-hc with the YV12 Chroma Upsampling shader is about as good as video will get on your PC. The thing that keeps me going back to vlc is mpc-hc's right click menu, it's not as thought out as vlc's. I think mpc-hc is designed more for keyboard shortcuts, which I personally have no desire to learn.

The thing that keeps me going back to vlc is mpc-hc's right click menu, it's not as thought out as vlc's. I think mpc-hc is designed more for keyboard shortcuts, which I personally have no desire to learn.

Whats to learn?

a - audio track

s - sub track

space - pause

Other then that I don't need any other shortcuts and all of those are obvious.

Well I was referring to the less obvious ones, like the snapshot which in the menu is listed as save image. For someone who has had the term snapshot imprinted into their head for taking video snapshots, trying to remember that it isn't snapshot can get annoying. It's easier to remember the shortcut. There are also other good ones that are buried in the menu like the increase/decrease shortcuts for size, width, and height. Those are ones that vlc doesn't even offer, but they're like two submenus in. All I'm trying to say is there are alot of handy things mpc-hc can do, but to use those features without a hassle you have to learn the shortcuts. I guess I'm just so use to vlc's set up, that moving to something totally different is to much of an annoyance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...