What Media Player do you use to watch downloaded videos?

Kid Ryan

What Media Player do you use to watch downloaded videos?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. What Media Player do you use to watch downloaded videos?

• Winamp
    • Media Player Classic and/or Home Cinema (MPC-HC)
    • BS Player
    • GOM Player
    • MPlayer and/or MPlayer Extended
    • Windows Media Player
    • Zoom Player
    • RealPlayer (this not dead yet?)
    • DivX Player
    • KMPlayer
    • Quicktime
    • VLC Player
    • Other (Tell Us/Please Explain)

Just because a lot of people use it doesn't mean it is the best. Look at IE :P

Your point is invalid. According to our server stats, less than 9% of our 20,000+ daily visitors use IE. While 56% use FireFox, 14% use Chrome, and the rest is for the other random browsers. Anyhow CCCP was one of the first to update for full support of 10bit encoded playback, and I've had absolutely 0 problems with it in all the years of using it. While I've had to refer Shark, K-Lite, and VLC users to CCCP to solve their playback problems.

Your point is invalid. According to our server stats, less than 9% of our 20,000+ daily visitors use IE. While 56% use FireFox, 14% use Chrome, and the rest is for the other random browsers.

I would like to think that Kametsu users are a bit more tech savvy than your average internet user. Here are some representative stats:

IE - 55%

FF - 23%

Chrome - 16%

Source: http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=0

Dan Den, here are the links:

CCCP: http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp

Shark: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Win7codecs_d5959.html

x64 pack: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5535

I've never had a problem with VLC but I'm curious to this "Doesn't play HD in HD". Any examples of playback comparisons using the latest Shippuden dubs?

I'll probably give MPC-HC a try. I've heard most praise here from Kametsu about MPC-HC.

VLC downscales videos and then upscales them back to reduce CPU load and therefore making it seem like it runs smoother, especially on low-end PC's. It will never render an HD file in true HD. Also you're asking for comparisons of Shippuuden? Shippuuden is only animated in 480p and released to DVD. Anything higher is upscaled and therefore not true HD either.

Again, as zolockit mentioned:

VLC isn't good. The devs haphazardly compile the libraries for portability with playback compatibility. What is that? Well, they want the player to play anything on any system, out of the box, with minimal need for the user to configure it. That is a terrible concept. So of course crashes and horrid playback ensues.

Mmmm, I will definitely give it a try. Thank you for your input/advice

As for Shippuden, wasn't the animation changed around episode 60 to HD(720p) or is that upscaled too by the likes of Venom, Foxmlg, etc?

As for comparison, I was just going to see what looked better while playing with MPC-HC or VLC for example: Foxmlg's encode of episode 99 with MPC-HC vs. Foxmlg's encode of episode 99 with VLC.

I can even do other videos for testing, not just shippuden, maybe 1080p of Inception, Toy Story 3, Ip Man, etc?

I watch shippuden eps on a 25.5" Samsung LCD so I don't know if it will matter or not. Gotta go test :byebye:

As for Shippuden, wasn't the animation changed around episode 60 to HD(720p) or is that upscaled too by the likes of Venom, Foxmlg, etc?

As for comparison, I was just going to see what looked better while playing with MPC-HC or VLC for example: Foxmlg's encode of episode 99 with MPC-HC vs. Foxmlg's encode of episode 99 with VLC.

I can even do other videos for testing, not just shippuden, maybe 1080p of Inception, Toy Story 3, Ip Man, etc?

I watch shippuden eps on a 25.5" Samsung LCD so I don't know if it will matter or not. Gotta go test :byebye:

It was switched from 4:3 to 16:9 but they did not go HD with the series. Same with Bleach, both of them are SD only. Venom, Foxmlg, etc... just take the Japanese TV station broadcast upscales and sync the English Dub audio to them. So what they release is an upscaled HDTV. Which can look better than SD if done right, will never actually be the same as something truly done in HD.

It was switched from 4:3 to 16:9 but they did not go HD with the series. Same with Bleach, both of them are SD only. Venom, Foxmlg, etc... just take the Japanese TV station broadcast upscales and sync the English Dub audio to them. So what they release is an upscaled HDTV. Which can look better than SD if done right, will never actually be the same as something truly done in HD.

Aight, no point on trying to compare the Dubs with different players. Movies it is!!! :byebye:

As I'm testing/watching HD content for MPC-HC vs. VLC, is it important that I install this CCCP thingy or k-lite blah blah blah, does it improve quality?

My guess is I only need one of them, CCCP or k-lite

I have to say so far, because of my powerful build there's only a bit of difference when comparing MPC-HC and VLC

You'd probably be better off using cccp over k-lite, but that just my opinion.

As far as the difference between vlc and mpc-hc, I have only ever noticed a small difference. Mpc-hc has always produced a brighter more vibrant image in my opinion, and I notice a bit more banding with vlc over mpc-hc. The colors to some degree can be fixed with the image adjustment filter but there won't be a debanding filter until vlc 1.2.

I have yet to tweek vlc to a point where it matches or beats mpc-hc with cccp.

After careful consideration and watching left to right with multiple videos, I was able to conclude that in fact CCCP (That includes the latest version of MPC-HC) has a better picture quality than VLC player.

The picture is brighter and the colours are more vibrant. I could even see the difference when playing Venom's encode of Naruto Shippuden episode 100 tonight.

Using MPC-HC from their current website will not show you the true power of MPC-HC. That was why I couldn't see the difference before when comparing MPC-HC vs. VLC

I'll going to keep VLC however. Reason being is that CCCP isn't recognizing any of the subtitles with any of my media although there's probably some setting I gotta look at. Also with the film Ip Man, VLC picture was better than CCCP/MPC-HC. Lastly, when I change the audio track, it doesn't show the text that the audio changed, you have to listen to see what audio track is playing.

Happy to give MPC-HC(with CCCP) my vote:byebye:

• 2 weeks later...