SOTW #116: Rain

Apollo

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Please see this post for voting instructions.

Note: I'm sorry, playlamegetfame, but since you didn't have a theme submitted with your entry, you were not included in the poll.

ATTENTIONYOU MUST HAVE A THEME SUBMITTED WITH YOUR ENTRY AT THE TIME OF VOTING! OTHERWISE YOUR ENTRY WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE POLL!

Edited by Apollo

Apollo

firedogx

Kora

These three were very hard to choose which got which place.  They were done very well.  So I ended up going with what I liked most.

godonizuka - you're animation seemed broken...it definitely seemed off.  It was still good thou.

Breathless - It was hard to see your animation...I had to look real close in order to notice it. 

Although your two sigs are good, I just felt it wasn't enough to beat out the others.  Still great job thou.

I still find it funny that everyone's is animated except mine.  I was beginning to think I had the theme wrong.  LOL

Edited by Dreamcastor Rei

not a big fan of slanting rain r we lolz !!

i wanted it to make it like that .......the way the clouds were drifting around i said to myself why not wing it like that a little drizzle not to make the scene much gloomy and thinking happy time were ahead lolz...

anyways !!!

- firedogx10 > i liked your sig from the whole lot nice touches !!

- Kora > even though i cant make out much from the BG ..even so nice job adding in the lightning ^_^b

- Dreamcastor Rei > it was nice *.*

sweet job every one o.o\m/

• Like 1

Apollo - Woah. I know I wasn't checking every day but this one totally went under my radar. It's sooo good.
Dreamcastor - I liked yours. Was always either the best or second best for me. It's very well done.
Firedog - Another well done signature. Colours blend nicely, Render sits there nicely. Everything was good, just a matter of preference between 1-2-3 for me.

-
Everyone did a great job this week. I couldn't wait for the voting to begin! xD

Dreamcaster rei - my personal opinion is that a signature shouldnt rely on animation to make it look good, all graphics should mirror the skill of the artist and not use one aspect as a krutch for the graphic, that is why im voting yours as first =)

apollo - great job, some of the rain doesnt move though and it kinda bothers me (kinda like an ocd, this number isnt an even number kinda bother)

korra - idk what to think about your text, maybe you could have made it to show up like a shadow with the lightning idk but it just seems out of place to me

----------------------------------

firedogx10 - your text ruined the whole picture for me, it could have been blended into the sign alot better, it just pops out way too much ruining the overall picture in my opinion

breathless and godonizuka - both of your sigs would have been perfectly fine without animation. if your gonna use animation, it should compliment the picture and not be obvious at first glance that the animation is just looping betwean two points.

breathless - your rain looks more like a stainless steel texture overlay, you should try and put more depth into it by making different layers of thicker and thinner raindrops. atleast thats what i would have done. and if it was just an overlay, the same technique could have been used just by upscaling and downscaling the texture with different layers.

----------------------------------------------

i was gonna enter but i wanted to challenge myself by actually painting the background and not use any other picture than the render itself, but i just couldnt live up to my own expectations and in my opinion the peice isnt finished, therefore i didnt submit it.

(im horrible at painting so im practicing lol)

• Like 1

korra - idk what to think about your text, maybe you could have made it to show up like a shadow with the lightning idk but it just seems out of place to me

Yeah that you for that I forgot to make changes to it when I added the whole animation lol I'm still new at this stuff but I'll be sure to pay closer attention next time around :P

It was pretty hard to choose the order of these since they were made really well but here goes:

Apollo - Awesome sig overall. Blends well and the rain looks great. Good thing you decided to finish it after all lol

Dreamcastor Rei - I really liked this one as well. The everything blends well and even though it was the only one not animated, it really didnt need to be.

Breathless - Looks good, really liked the text although I dont think you should have animated it since its pretty hard to look at and takes away from the rest of the sig. But still overall it was well done.

--------------------------

firedogx10 - Would have definitely placed higher if it wasnt for the text =/ I feel like it took away from the sig and doesnt really match the rest of the sig. Everything else was done pretty well.

godonizuka - not bad but definitely didnt need the animation. Also adding a shadow to the render felt kinda weird to me, but maybe its just me.

Once again, good job to everyone who submitted stuff. You all did great.

• Like 1

Aw I was hoping to see some big rain drops. Oh well. :P

Kora - Like the lightning.

firedogx10 - Rain blends in nicely.

Dreamcastor Rei - Most unique! (Isn't a .gif)

Honorable mention: playlamegetfame - If only you had a topic! You would have been top 3! D:

my personal opinion is that a signature shouldnt rely on animation to make it look good, all graphics should mirror the skill of the artist and not use one aspect as a krutch for the graphic, that is why im voting yours as first =)

Are you saying you specifically voted for that entry because it was the only one that isn't animated, or that you didn't give any special consideration to animation? Because I don't think any of the entrants were using animation as a crutch or doing so in an attempt to sway people's votes with fancy tricks.

firedogx10 -- Everything except the text, which I barely noticed, just fits together well for me. I especially like the appearance of steam coming from the bottom of the signature.

Apollo -- A+ would look at again. I like the colours and how compact it is. Not a wasted pixel. ouo

Breathless -- I like how most everything is flowing in the same general direction, but the twitchy animation kind of ruins the flow. That said, I like the colours and the text!

Everyone did a fantastic job. o3o

I have no clue how to animate rain. DAMN THOSE TUTORIALS AND THEIR LIES. ( I was more thinking about flow, and rule of thirds. It's a work in progress! )
Thanks everyone for the useful CnC!~

I can't stress enough though, that this weeks SOTW is at a pretty darn high standard. I thought everyone did a real good job~. I hope the sotw keeps this up. It's super fun, even especially the voting part.

Are you saying you specifically voted for that entry because it was the only one that isn't animated, or that you didn't give any special consideration to animation? Because I don't think any of the entrants were using animation as a crutch or doing so in an attempt to sway people's votes with fancy tricks.

i voted for it as the first because it because it was put together very well and was simple. animation would have ruined the whole thing. just like what happened with godonizuka's entree, in fact i would have voted godonizuka's entree ${x}th place if his/her's animation was a bit better or if it had no animation at all. (i like the coloring and the overall mood of it. when you think of rain its usually dark and stormy that comes to mind whereas this entree does not conform to that, which i like.)

so i really just didnt give much consideration to animation because its only another aspect to a graphic.

and me saying the krutch part was just me sharing my opinion on animation all together, wasnt trying to say anybody was trying to do that.

i also think that it takes more skill to make a beautifull graphic without any animation because animation can be very pretty and stylish most of the time you use it where as a piece that is naturally beautifull and awe-inspiring would be much harder to accomplish but worth it.

• Like 1

With the exception of Dreamcaster Rei, every sig is relying on rain effects. There either are no other effects used or they're used poorly. I'm not sure why anyone would be influenced to believed the gif animation would make their sig look better in the first place.

Kora - The animation is more than rain falling, which objectively puts your entry above the others.

Dreamcaster Rei - A solid entry all around. The text bothers me, I think it's unnecessary and takes away from the overall composition.

Apollo - Your entry would look good without the rain animation, which is good either way. The render is actually in line with the theme instead of being shoehorned in after the fact.

I think everyone would have been better off had you worried about standing out rather than going with the crowd. What made voting difficult (for me) was the fact I almost had to disregard the rain altogether since mostly every entry used it [abused] the same way.

Edited by Write
  • Like 1