Have you taken a break from anime?

GeekyAlex

My input may be a bit useless because I'm not much of an anime watcher, but I've taken many breaks from it, haha.

When I was a teenager and a much newer member here, I didn't watch much anime at all--some movies at most. I was more into manga.

Around sophomore or junior year of high school, I watched the entirety of Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo in the space of roughly two weekends. Those were the first series I ever watched the whole of. I didn't watch anime until I was at DLI (2008-2009 ish), when I randomly watched an episode of something I don't even know or care about any more (a lot of different kinds of nerds end up being linguists, big shocker).

When I became operational (2010), I watched all of FLCL with Java, although I had seen the episodes sporadically on CN before.

Last month or the month prior, I watched all of Madoka in about a weekend. Took another break and finally watched all of Panty and Stocking last week.

I've seen bits and pieces of Bleach, Naruto, .hack, and other shows that have ended up on Cartoon Network, but I don't consider those part of my "watched" list any more than I consider the hundreds of other shows I've flashed by over the years.

And that's all the non-movie animes I've seen in my entire life! o3o

I took off about 6 years at one point haha

LOL, how?

I don't think even I could go that much.

I was starting highscool in Sydney and I used to watch Cheese tv and stuff of a morning for an anime hit since it had DBZ and stuff like that on it, then I moved to a place where I couldnt get tv really so no hope of anime and shitty internet so I didnt really have a choice in the matter. That and I was kind of over it for a long time and then I moved back and a friend got me hooked on it again lol. I'm not an anime junkie but I watch enough to keep me happy lol

Well even though I have watched Anime off and on for years, but for about a year I have gotten completely hooked on Anime. From then, I have taken about 2 or 3 single one months off from Anime, and from recent months I have taken up to about 2 weeks of a break. But from that I don't usually take HUGE breaks like I've seen some of you state. Anime is just SO great...

Edited by Snowburden

I always take small breaks during test weeks. Gotta get A's on those exams so I can't have anything distract me much. After the exam is over, BAM!! I run to the computer(well, after I get home) and get rid of all my backlogged shows!!

As for long term breaks, never had one.

To justify the long breaks i can say only this, and anyone else feel free to weigh in with your thoughts. For me it is more so the act that anime just starts to bleed together after awhile so when it gets to the points when i'm mixing bleach with naruto or some other anime's i gotta take a break. I would also say nothing really interesting is out but that assessment seems to prove wrong for a lot of people. If you just dig deep enough you wil find something.

I stopped watching anime for a while now.. partly because Gurren Lagann just made everything else seem less interesting to me and also, I just got bored of watching the same recycled tropes over and over(the same applies to jrpgs) Also the fanboyism associated with mainstream shows like Naruto and the load of crap that comes out of people's mouth in the whole dubs vs subs arguements just finally got to me i guess. I want nothing to do with it. If I do watch any anime it will be the odd movie or short, but I tend to keep to myself about it mostly.

Also I guess a lot of the shows that really held my interest are over now. that's a list too long to write out but, for the past year and a half, nothing has really interested me.

Also, a lot of people here I would circlejerk my interest for shows with aren't on very much if at all anymore.

Also I don't have cable anymore..Toonami was the last thing keeping me interested if only for the sake of some of the best nostalgia I ever had.

• Like 1