Watching Anime Online vs Downloading Anime

UpsyDaisy

I'm sure most of the people here download, but i have a lot of friends who watch online. I find watching anime online is not bad, if youre low on time and want to quickly get into action watching online is actually good. But watching downloaded ones are more sharp and choppy. i would watch anime online but after seeing an HD one i always find a noticible difference :D

So what do you think about watching online vs downloading?

Streaming Pros: Quick access.......That's all I have.

Streaming Cons: Ads, pop-ups, buffering, the chance of the video being broken into two parts, and lacking quality.

Downloading Pros: Full quality, you can choose how big a file you download, and you can change the audio and subtitles.

Downloading Cons:  Wait time, (In my case) Conversion time......That's all I have.

• Like 1

the last timed i streamed an anime episode was when i was about 15 years old. Strictly download for strictly HD. Besides every streaming sites has pop ups like CRAZY and sometimes the episode is chopped into 2 parts.....really annoying for me

Exactly this. Plus the quality sucks and there isn't as many dubs available on those sites. And the chatboxes can get on your nerves, even if it's muted (if you're not fullscreen, and you probably aren't unless you're okay with further reducing the quality).

If I knew of good streaming sites that had okay quiality video and good quality subs and a really good selection (for my tastes anyhow) that worked well, I'd personally use it a good bit.

... feel free to list any if you know them! ;-) Crunchyroll is okay, but I don't know anything better and personally they have very little that's my style.

This more applies to regular TV shows for me, but...

I use online streaming like 90% of the time. I like being able to (basically) watch while it's downloading; my internet speed is less than stellar, and I'm too impatient to wait for things to download. And yes, the quality can be pretty bad and sometimes links are broken (and you don't know that until halfway through an episode), but I find streaming to be more convenient.

I do try to avoid Hulu and similar websites that have commercials though, so that's not something I take into consideration.

And hey, if I really like the series, I'll buy a box set.

Oh, and for people asking for links...

I'm not sure if they have much anime, but I use Couch Tuner, Project Free TV, and TV-Links.

Edited by poetictragedy

I'll check out the others... but yeah for non anime I did find Project TV a while back which is quite nice for the wife and I since we have no cable or satilite. We don't watch a whole lot of TV shows generally but being able to keep up with the few we do while waiting on the DVD or blu-ray to come out is quite nice and of course finding out about new shows as well.

I personally think all networks should just start streaming all there content, put advertisments if they want at the beginning or whatever to make some extra money as well. I really feel it would make them more money in the long run since it get the extra ad revenue and pull in a lot more people buying their shows when they are released. I could be wrong but it how it works for me, I need to know I like something, but if I do like really like something someday when it's cheap enough or maybe sooner depending on how much I like it and if I have any spare money I'll get it. Just like games, music, ect. being able to sample and know makes all the difference. 

I definitely prefer download over stream. I'm sure that if you look deep inside the infiniteness of the Worldwide Web, you would be able to find some decent streaming quality but, still, I don't wanna waste time, just download however you prefer it, LQ, HQ, HD, Dual-audio, subbed, dubbed, or whatever…

• 2 weeks later...

the last timed i streamed an anime episode was when i was about 15 years old. Strictly download for strictly HD. Besides every streaming sites has pop ups like CRAZY and sometimes the episode is chopped into 2 parts.....really annoying for me

You do know they have Adblock Plus for your browser, it eliminates ALL ads there are, I've been using it for years (best used on Firefox, can on others, but you can see a difference). You and everyone else should look into it.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Main: http://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

As for the question:

I mainly prefer to download, because it will be in great quality, plus I prefer quality over crap (which you will find in most from streaming online, unless from a website that gives HD like Hulu or Funimations, but others, no they don't sadly...). For me it does take a little bit just to finally start watching the Show after downloading, because when I download it, I usually (not all the time) wait until I download all the Episodes of the Show, if they range in from 1-26 Episodes, anything more, I usually just do about 10 downloads at a time, then watch. After I download, I convert from .MKV to .MP4, which takes the MOST of the time I spend doing this, because I watch my Anime over the TV on my PS3. MKV can't do that... So usually I download at night, and the before I go to bed I convert about 10-15 episodes at a time over night (don't have a external graphics card to boost the speeds, just CPU sadly). And yeah, either I wait until I'm done converting everything to finally start watching or just convert so much and then start. Usually I do so much downloading and converting that I will do about 2-4 shows, and won't even watch them until WAY latter when I can, usually because so when I feel like I have a great Anime day ahead of me I can watch all sorts of shows I haven't yet instead of, "Oh I've watched all these, except one that I recently downloaded and converted", no I have variety so I don't get bored. 

About streaming:

I no longer watch Anime online really anymore, since now that I download almost everything I can find. Mainly because of the fact that I get really irritated because I'm sure you all know this, but websites that you can watch from will be websites that their uploaders just recorded from the TV or something, so you see the logo of the channel and such. Not only that but a lot of the time it's just crappy quality or you see errors in the videos, or the video player and mirrors are just crap, because they take either too long, or something of that line; while others are good. Watching online is a real hassle because of the above mentioned and other things (as I'm sure most can think of), so I avoid watching online as much as I can.

The only show at the moment that I actually watch online since I started downloading is: Naruto Shippuden. Other shows, I try to download or not download the show at all if I can't find it.