~Ideas Corner~

Dark_Angel13

I have a problem with developing a character. I'm at the point where I'm just going to scrap her and use her parts to make something better, but I feel kind of bad because I've written with her. You see, a few months ago, I started plot and character development for a story, and I wrote page after page of background for the story, spent many sleepless nights on developing everyone just right-everyone but the main character. I've tried to do sketch stories that are about her or have just her in them, but it doesn't work. I simply can't write with her. I'm not entirely sure what to do. Do I scrap her and start over or try to make it work? At this point, she's unstylistically plain for my writing style, and almost seems like a shell for the reader to slip into and get husbando with the opposite main, which is definitely what I don't want. It's been quite a while since I've worked on this project any, so it might be worth it to give it another shot after leaving it for a while, but I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

Readers will accept any level of complication in a story provided it is meaningful.

The Song of Fire and Ice books are endlessly complicated and people devour those books, in addition to the show, with gusto. Homestuck also has a(n unnecessarily) large cast in addition to a lot of time shenanigans, but I can name all of the characters and keep the plot mostly straight in my head. Conversely, of course, you have people who hate that kind of thing. Then they become unimportant because they aren't really your audience.

There's nothing wrong with a large cast any more than there's something wrong with cutting out a POV character who doesn't serve their purpose in the story.

An omniscient narrator would likely know names, at least the ones the POV character would know (like their own), so I wouldn't devote too much energy in being coy about that kind of thing (especially if it's the POV character's name). No more than I would try to spend time explaining things to the reader that the character would already know--presume your readers are smart enough to catch on. (Even though 90% of the stuff I cut in editing is unnecessary exposition, ha. I am not very smart.)

ETA: Damn my slow posting ability! If you've already spent a lot of time trying to salvage her, I'd say it should be fine to scrap/rebuild her. You can keep your notes for later, in case inspiration strikes, but there's nothing wrong with setting her aside to allow a different character to step in, especially if she's supposed to serve as the main character.

• Like 1

I have a problem with developing a character. I'm at the point where I'm just going to scrap her and use her parts to make something better, but I feel kind of bad because I've written with her. You see, a few months ago, I started plot and character development for a story, and I wrote page after page of background for the story, spent many sleepless nights on developing everyone just right-everyone but the main character. I've tried to do sketch stories that are about her or have just her in them, but it doesn't work. I simply can't write with her. I'm not entirely sure what to do. Do I scrap her and start over or try to make it work? At this point, she's unstylistically plain for my writing style, and almost seems like a shell for the reader to slip into and get husbando with the opposite main, which is definitely what I don't want. It's been quite a while since I've worked on this project any, so it might be worth it to give it another shot after leaving it for a while, but I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

I can actually relate to this as it happens with me all the time. When I'm doing stuff for a project I generally go for background, then fit characters into the details, like you've been doing. So it often happens the planned main doesn't work or fit. What I normally do is keep the character close at hand or merge it with someone in a more relevant plot point or with a different function, similar to what EO said.

If not you could always tweak a little. Maybe tweak the character's relevance in the story and downplay their importance till some later point, or something. If that really isn't an option then I'd say scrap her. Keeping the notes of course, but if she won't fit and you can't write with her then maybe tis time to try with something fresh, blank canvas. At least that is what I'd try to do...

I've stopped with my fanfic for now, mostly because I'm unsure of how to do the next part. I was thinking of giving them some more horrorific moments and not so much combat, kind of go into depth more and stuff. Thoughts?

Well, my only quarrel I had with the fan fic so far was that it seemed to be much more action orientated and less suspense ridden horror. So going that direction will certainly change that. Not to mention you'll be closer to the source material and that means you can draw a lot more inspiration from it.

Also, depth is always good. Nothing can't benefit from a bit of depth, lmao.

A change of pace is usually good.

It can get pretty tiring if things are just a never ending progression of high octane action and adrenaline. And it is also tiring if things never pick up the pace--you're left wondering why the story was written in the first place (slice of life, I am looking at you).

But yeah, slowing things down a bit to zoom on the details should be good.

• Like 1

I do too, haha. It's fun and light, a good palate cleanser. And I think most sitcoms tend to be slice of life.

Most of the stuff I'm cutting out in edits is slice of life, though. Like I have to really consider if I need an entire chapter devoted to a scene where things aren't really going anywhere. I mostly blame NaNo and the need to meet word count, haha.

You can develop character and still move the plot forward, haha. The stuff you mentioned sounds to me like plot-moving revelations and thus make the scenes purposeful. I'm not against it entirely, and like I said, changes of pace are good. But I think people should make sure each word counts. Perhaps not go so far as to justify every word you write, but to trim the fat when possible. Everyone has their own style, though. I'm not saying you should have absolutely no slice of life in your writing, just that it's not really my cuppa.

Sure, there was probably character development in the chapter I had about my characters going to lunch and there was world building and all kinds of things. But really, if I were a reader and I came across a chapter like that, I wouldn't enjoy it. I'd wonder what the point it is, why any of it matters. I don't want to read about characters getting ready for bed unless it's the calm before the storm, that something specific is going to happen to the character while they are sleeping or something--if you're ending every chapter with characters brushing their teeth, drinking a glass of milk, using the toilet, and reading for a half hour before falling asleep, I would also be falling asleep and then never picking up the book again.

In a sitcom or a book I know is kind of goofy, like Diary of a Wimpy Kid or something, I don't mind that kind of stuff so much. But if I'm reading a novel, I usually want the story to move forward, to find out what happens next, not spend a hundred pages following the author through world building that doesn't progress the plot. It's part of the reason why I'm not super big on some older fantasy/sci fi novels.

Like I love Homestuck, but there's just so much fluff, apparent one-shot characters, and loose storytelling. I don't blame people who think it's too unwieldy to get into, because it is kind of a sprawling mass. The first act of Homestuck is as slice of life as it gets (before things really start to pick up). To some new/potential readers it looks like a bunch of kids doing random stuff for no reason and it goes on so long that people just give up or, possibly worse, skip to the "good part".

so i got struck by an idea while i was talking to EO on skype and i'm after some feedback for it. it's still very much in the earlier brainvomit stages of development, so i'm going to do my best to summarize it.

The basic idea of it is that there are a group of three magical girls in the late 18th century France. I'm not sure about the force that would even grant them powers, but their powers get awoken by seeing something that goes against something they believe in their heart that would be their reason to fight.

One of them is a vicecountess, and her reason to fight would be justice of the heart, for everyone, therefore the trigger to her power would be seeing a beggar get killed on a street corner with no one stopping it at all.

One of them lives in the countryside near Paris, and her reason to fight would be to protect the forest she lives in, so her trigger would be witnessing a woodsman cut down an ancient tree, and she would lose her shit so bad over it that she would transform and kill him right way.

For the last one, I'm not entirely sure. I'm entertaining the idea of her actually being one of their enemies,who would join later on, but I like the idea of her being as a kind of guide whose power awoken first? But I can't decide on what would have triggered her just yet.

It definitely takes place in Paris, and there are three? But that could change to be more or less I guess. I'm debating on what kind of item they would have to use to transform too. Maybe lockets?

Their enemies are pretty much spirits called Fantômbre that manifest themselves in the hearts of people facing great despair that possesses them, but they have to find the source because they know that it would be Very Very Bad if one of them possessed someone with political power, like the king. They have to find out who's responsible for unleashing them in Paris and stop them, but there are also vampires attracted to the despair creeping around. But for that, they have to be in contact with a group of vampire hunters who think they're just weak little kids roaming around and causing messes that /they/ have to clean.

That's about all I've got so far, though.

Edited by Loki

The costumes for this sound like they're gonna be so fantastic. And the vampire hunters sound a bit like the outer senshi of Sailor Moon, haha.

Would it be around the time of the Revolution or before that? Maybe the third one would have some sort of political leanings that the other two aren't too happy with, or at least they wouldn't be if her machinations were ever revealed. The other two sound pretty idealistic, so having her be a foil to their mindsets would be interesting.

But yeah, I really like the idea of having more of a "grey" character who, while part of the power trio, still provides friction.

ahahah i didn't even think about that! Maybe two of them should be a couple but get referred to as """cousins"""

re their costumes: i'm not even sure about that yet. i'm torn between functionality and making it totally ridic because fashion at that time was quite ridic.

I think it would take place just before the revolution, because what if the fantombre possessed someone with political importance and set it off?

yeah the first two do seem idealisitic, but they wouldn't have much knowledge of what's really happening anyway. this could lead up to a moment where they see what's really going on with everything and then shit would get real and character development would happen.

Edited by Loki
  • Like 1

Like I love Homestuck, but there's just so much fluff, apparent one-shot characters, and loose storytelling. I don't blame people who think it's too unwieldy to get into, because it is kind of a sprawling mass. The first act of Homestuck is as slice of life as it gets (before things really start to pick up). To some new/potential readers it looks like a bunch of kids doing random stuff for no reason and it goes on so long that people just give up or, possibly worse, skip to the "good part".

*Raises hand* I'm guilty of this. I tried reading Homestuck so I could have some context when reading your fanfics. I didn't even make it half way through the first arc. >__< It's actually a terrible habit of mine. I always have trouble getting into stories. I find it a lot easier reading educational kind things than stories.

The basic idea of it is that there are a group of three magical girls in the late 18th century France.

How has this not been written already!!?

On a more serious note, it sounds good so far. I love fantasy's, and if you do pair it up with politics that's my favorite mix-up! I'm really interested in this. And yeah, like EO said friction is always good. I know personally I dislike reading stories where all the characters get along. That is, unless I want to cheer myself up after some dark NTR story or something. I'm really liking the sounds of the second girl. Characters going ape-shit crazy are always fun to read!

Edited by Breathless
  • Like 2

/Edit: (Merge the posts if that's what should be done. I just think it may have gone unnoticed if I didn't make a new post)

Double Posting because I just love to see more of myself on this forum! No, But seriously, I just got this idea.

Here's what I'm semi-planning; I want to have two stories which are based in the same world / have the same Lore, and have them run side by side. I'll later merge them, once the characters and plot have already developed a fair bit. Sort of like how Marvel characters have their own personal stories, only to later merge to form The Avengers, or the Justice League, or whatever they merge into, haha.

I'm not completely sure if I want to follow through with this, it seems like a lot of hassle but it might be super-rewarding? *Shrugs* The problem is, I don't know how this will work, I don't even know if this will work. Does anything think this is a good idea, or am I just being silly?

Edited by Breathless

Haha, it's fine. It's been a few days and you were adding new content. If you want your posts merged, I can do that, otherwise you're okay.

If you like large, interconnected worlds, then I say go for it! You'll definitely want to plan, take notes, and have a "bible" for your book where you store all your world-building. If you're in the market for some organisational software, you might want to take a look at Scrivener or maybe some mind-mapping software, if you're more of a visual thinker.

When creating your own world, it is always best to have at least the parts of it you will use and mention all completely detailed, even just for your own mind in keeping things consistent.

Also plan for how those areas fit into the larger world (if there is a larger world), that way when your protagonist from Magic School meets up with Bob from Techno's playland, you know how they will feel about the other's homeland.

• Like 1