Sites and Manga Recommendations

McLEMUR

Hello!

I only recently decided to venture out into manga would so i decided to ask for some advice...

• What websites to you use to search for new manga with tags (not MAL) (like AniDB for anime)

Also I read few stories like Sundome, Mx0 and some others. So I realized that i dislike Coming of Age, High School/Club/School Life and a lot of drama stories.

While everything else is okay and hence a second question

• What would you recommend to read for a beginner? and something that is completely finished and scanned (I prefer to read finished stories but if you would tell me when to stop it would be okay)
  • Or something popular in manga world like Code Geass or Death Note in anime?

Please to criticize because i realized that going thought MAL database without any idea of what to look for is pointless.

and so Thanks in Advance!

P.S. If its wrong place to post this question please move the topic

Edited by Emotional Outlet

I use Baka-updates to find my manga if I have a certain genre or what not in mind. I.E: 'Martial Arts' or 'anti-protagonist'. Otherwise, if I'm not sure what I'm looking for I'll go on a scanlating/translating/editing manga group thingy, one which I like and choose one of their older projects for a completed manga or one of their current projects for on-going.

And to recommend manga... Well, I'll list my favorites but keep in mind some of them might fall under one of those genres you dislike.

Bakuman - done by the same mangaka as Death Note! It's a manga about writing manga, manga-ception!

Working!! - A 4-koma manga about some weirdos at work. I think it's incomplete, I find it good for a laugh. Not serious at all.

K-On! - Pretty much exactly above, 4 koma about a high school girl band. it IS complete, nothing serious here, good for a laugh.

Teppu - Super talented school girl starts MMA, gets her arse handed to her so she ends up joining the MMA world for revenge. It's NOT complete, comes out VERY slowly, but my god I love this manga.

Full Contact - I guess this one kind of counts as Coming of Age, School life, and a karate club? (lol) It's short, maybe good if you don't want a dense manga.

The Breaker - Super good Manhua, It's about Martial arts, well worth the read. The first season is complete and it's ending is good enough to stop on, the second season is still coming out so it's up to you whether you read them both at once or wait.

Veritas - Another good manhua, again it's about martial arts. ugh... why are all the manga I'm recommending about martial arts, I don't even read this genre often, honest!

Psyren - Shounen-fantasy-scifi. A nice length of manga, doesn't drag on.

Mirrai Nikki - A horror-mytery-psychological manga. Very good! Also doesn't drag on.

Ibitsu - Want to get creeped out? Yeah? Okay here you go.

Hanged Doll - also another creepy series, it's a webtoon. (one long strip per chapter, rather then page by page)

Elfen Lied - Seinin manga, alot of blood and gore.

Tenjo Tenge - Seinin manga, Boobies! no, seriously though It's a good manga, (martial arts)

Shin Angyo Onshi - Seinin manga, fighting pow pow. Damn... my explanations suck!

Black Cat - Shounen action manga.

Variante - One of- if not my favorite manga ever. Horror, Mystery.

Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan - Slice of Life, Mystery, Psychological, tragedy manga! Very short, nice for a quick read.

Suugaku Girl - 'Math Girl', a romance about a girl who's crazy about math! There's actually some math in there, I enjoyed reading it but I didn't understand the words half the time! (quite short)

I bolded what I think you may enjoy the most out of them but honestly I'm just guessing. I mainly read manga which are all about coming of Age, High School/Club/School Life so it was a little tricky, haha! Alot of these have an anime counter-part too so you may have seen them before - or might want to see them.

Also... I'm not sure what manga are suited for beginners, so I just picked some of the ones I like, which may turn you away from manga. Good luck!

• Like 1

I use Baka-updates to find my manga if I have a certain genre or what not in mind. I.E: 'Martial Arts' or 'anti-protagonist'. Otherwise, if I'm not sure what I'm looking for I'll go on a scanlating/translating/editing manga group thingy, one which I like and choose one of their older projects for a completed manga or one of their current projects for on-going.

And to recommend manga... Well, I'll list my favorites but keep in mind some of them might fall under one of those genres you dislike.

Bakuman - done by the same mangaka as Death Note! It's a manga about writing manga, manga-ception!

Working!! - A 4-koma manga about some weirdos at work. I think it's incomplete, I find it good for a laugh. Not serious at all.

K-On! - Pretty much exactly above, 4 koma about a high school girl band. it IS complete, nothing serious here, good for a laugh.

Teppu - Super talented school girl starts MMA, gets her arse handed to her so she ends up joining the MMA world for revenge. It's NOT complete, comes out VERY slowly, but my god I love this manga.

Full Contact - I guess this one kind of counts as Coming of Age, School life, and a karate club? (lol) It's short, maybe good if you don't want a dense manga.

The Breaker - Super good Manhua, It's about Martial arts, well worth the read. The first season is complete and it's ending is good enough to stop on, the second season is still coming out so it's up to you whether you read them both at once or wait.

Veritas - Another good manhua, again it's about martial arts. ugh... why are all the manga I'm recommending about martial arts, I don't even read this genre often, honest!

Psyren - Shounen-fantasy-scifi. A nice length of manga, doesn't drag on.

Mirrai Nikki - A horror-mytery-psychological manga. Very good! Also doesn't drag on.

Ibitsu - Want to get creeped out? Yeah? Okay here you go.

Hanged Doll - also another creepy series, it's a webtoon. (one long strip per chapter, rather then page by page)

Elfen Lied - Seinin manga, alot of blood and gore.

Tenjo Tenge - Seinin manga, Boobies! no, seriously though It's a good manga, (martial arts)

Shin Angyo Onshi - Seinin manga, fighting pow pow. Damn... my explanations suck!

Black Cat - Shounen action manga.

Variante - One of- if not my favorite manga ever. Horror, Mystery.

Lying Mii-kun and Broken Maa-chan - Slice of Life, Mystery, Psychological, tragedy manga! Very short, nice for a quick read.

Suugaku Girl - 'Math Girl', a romance about a girl who's crazy about math! There's actually some math in there, I enjoyed reading it but I didn't understand the words half the time! (quite short)

I bolded what I think you may enjoy the most out of them but honestly I'm just guessing. I mainly read manga which are all about coming of Age, High School/Club/School Life so it was a little tricky, haha! Alot of these have an anime counter-part too so you may have seen them before - or might want to see them.

Also... I'm not sure what manga are suited for beginners, so I just picked some of the ones I like, which may turn you away from manga. Good luck!

Thanks for that info! (sorry it took so ling to get back to you)

Variante is indeed awesome manga! finished fast and enjoyed a lot, now im on Psyren and it looks promising!

Baka-updates is exactly what i was looking for! already added 64+ title on my to read list :exciting: all whats left is to read them

And no worries i would not turn away from manga at this point. Im already hooked :dribble:

Edited by McLEMUR