Do you think cussing affects a person's vocabulary

Minkseru

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think it's pretty weird if you literally can't control yourself from dropping the F-bomb every other word, regardless of how you're feeling. It's one thing if you're mad or frustrated, but if you're just ordering a number 5 at Wendy's and you can't stop yourself from swearing even in that short exchange, there might be a problem.

I keep it clean at the library, even to the point of saying non-explicit words when I do stuff like stub my toe or have books fall on my head--usually I just say "no", but "monkeys" is a popular one too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I cuss all the damn time, in any given situation, not because I can't use more appropriate word choice, but because, 1. I don't believe in censorship of any kind, 2. my speech sounds retarded & non-fluent without it, and 3. I really don't give a fuck what people think of me because I'm kind of anti-social, after all I constantly blow off requests to socialize so I can watch anime and play video games by myself, hell, I've even blown off many opportunities to have sex to do those very things, just because I don't like being around other people.

Another reason why I'm completely comfortable cussing around any and all company is because, with me, what you see (or in this case hear) is what you get, because I don't know how to be anyone but myself so that's all I can give you. For example, If I'm interviewing for a job, I'll cuss during it, and I don't get the job because the employer feels that how I talk is more important than my ability to actually do the job and make them money, then I'd have to call them a bunch of ignorant dumbasses because they're obviously not in the business of making money, which is the whole point of a business, and in all honesty I wouldn't want to work in that type of environment, because if I can't be myself at work then I'm nowhere near as efficient as I could be, which, as a result, would end up in my job security being severely impacted in a negative way, and ultimately, lead to my position at that job getting terminated.

So at the end of the day, think of me what you will, because your mind isn't in my body so your opinion is null and void.

Edited by Shinigami King

It's definitely your choice and, by all means, if it affects your productivity in such a manner...

Still, I don't understand how swearing is so vital to your person that you are unable to work at full capacity without it. Even when I was in the military and spent most of my time in a joint environment, I've never heard anyone say they felt they couldn't be at their best unless they were swearing, and uniformed folk are some of the most foul-mouthed people I know (I am one of them).

It's not to say we never swore at work, but there's a time and place for everything--if it's ten in the morning and the commander is within earshot, you keep it clean. If it's two in the morning and you know the NCO who's in the back doesn't care, then it doesn't matter if you drop an F-bomb or two. And when you answer the phone, you answer it politely--even if it's your personal cell phone. (My roommate answers with his rank and last name when he knows it's work.)

I mean, appearances are important, and having employees, especially ones that have to work with customers on any level, swear--even just a little!--does look remarkably unprofessional. It reflects poorly on the company. If I went into Walmart and the cashier was swearing conversationally while ringing up my purchases, I'd feel like they weren't being professional. Maybe not enough to want to talk to a manager about it (unless they were dropping some especially offensive language), but it would definitely make me feel awkward at the least, and there are people who would find even a single "shit" to be grounds to say something to a manager.

I can call someone a wackass shitsponge of a prolasped dicknipple and still have a strong conversation about a wide variety of subjects, so no I don't think that swearing and vocabulary strength are correlated at all. Anyone who's spoken to me in a private space has seen that I swear like a pirate but it doesn't affect my intelligence at all. Does it affect my appearance if I behave like that in public internet space? It's up to the person who sees me use such language.

Edited by Loki

• 1 year later...

Most of the people in my familly cuss like sailors, but they speek better english then most americans do now adays, they also use terms and words that are used a lot in britain, but aren't used in america.

You just got to know how to cuss the right way, not like your bandit keith.

Example of the wrong way [in spoiler because I will use the words]

Fuck this shitty fucker, fucking how are we fucking kicking this shitty little son of a bitch's damn ass, this ass hole is a fucking super sayain.

That is the wrong way.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I believe swear words are filler words, that serve best in speech rather that written form, because the emphasis provides a lot of context.

Example case:

Someone says "You staring at me?"

You reply "Fuck" - Regardless of above context, can be:

-Sexual invitation with upwards inflection,

-Resignation to inevitable perceived conflict said long and drawn out

-Questioning when said quickly and in a higher pitch (more often with "da" in front)

The context can go in many directions beyond this, and I often find those who are so against swearing, are usually narcissists who have issues understanding these context cues.

Rather than admit a potential flaw in their self, they would rather relegate things they don't understand as "stupid" than to admit this lack of comprehension.

And so they label them words of ignorance, as that's all they have the capacity for. This is most clearly evidenced by the ones that show hostility at swear words in conversations they are not a part of.

The irony of this statement is that some of them will be offended, and in being offended confirm their own narcissism. Ain't it some beautiful shit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't really think it hurts anything to be honest, if everyone talked like they had a stick up their ass the world would be really fucking boring... Dipshits these days get offended over everything too, it really pisses me off... I even had someone say to me on DA "please don't use profanity i don't like that" the thing is, he/she wasn't even part of the conversation, they just came out of nowhere just to tell me to not use profanity and then crawl back into whatever shithole they crawled out of... I'm just wondering what the hell they thought that was gonna do, sure didn't stop me, if i where to take everyone's likes and dislikes into consideration i'd be a fucking robot! I believe people should be able to swear whenever they want! I might swear alot, but i still know how to be friends with someone, people shouldn't be instantly dismissed just because they dropped a fuck or a shit, or maybe a cunt, whatever!

• 1 year later...

The only time cussing is obnoxious is when people use it in place of filler words like "uh".

"I fuckin' went to the fuckin' store to fuckin' pick up some...fuckin' milk!"

No joke, my uncle talks just like that. Other than that I think it's kind of goofy to concern yourself with "swear words". Western society has gotten a lot less puritanical about such things.

Edited by ShinPhuzz