Story of The Month Competition

The Welsh Paddy

I think Paddy is leaving it open to interpretation the age of the character, but had a younger person in mind when writing the introduction.

Why don't we stick with the general outline for the opening? You can write it in any way you want, provided it sticks to the whole "kid getting up and ready for college, but finds an unusual sheet of paper that he/she finds suspicious and decides to investigate."

In the UK it can mean both. That was the point I was trying to make. I was trying to show you that it isn't limited to an age group. It doesn't specify so. In truth I kinda feel that you're over thinking it too much. Paddy's intro was meant to be open ended and I was trying to point that out while being lighthearted. But if my little attempts at some dry humour didn't boil ever well then I suppose I shouldn't try to be funny anymore, I'll just make note of that for any future "rants" of mine... TnT

Also, if it is as easy as that, then why is it so difficult to just continue from where it was left? I mean, kinda double standard there. But meh, this conversation is starting to turn circles on itself, so do what you want I suppose. :/

EDIT: Also, EO basically pointed out what I was trying to get at...

Edited by Anras Rune

It's easy IF it's meant as a concept or outline for an intro, not as a complete intro like the initial post suggests.

No matter what definition of college is used, the setting still dictates the appropriate age group. Unless it's meant to be whatever school is appropriate for the age of the character, in which case, Paddy is the one that needs to reply and state that. The question has been asked, and the only one qualified (Since it's HIS competition) is Paddy. And those of us who aren't just assuming that it's meant to be open to whatever age group you want to use need to have an answer before they can continue.

Well, I meant college as in the college you go to after finishing secondary (high) school. :) This paragraph was mostly just copied from an exercise on some creative writing website, but I took a few details out to keep it very open ended.

In my case the main character could be someone aged 16 or over (heck, some people don't start college until their 20's in some cases, but you can start from the term following the end of secondary school which, over here, is when you're 16).

One thing I wasn't betting on was having people look into this paragraph so much. :D

But yeah...

Why don't we stick with the general outline for the opening? You can write it in any way you want, provided it sticks to the whole "person getting up and ready for college, but finds an unusual sheet of paper that he/she finds suspicious and decides to investigate."

The main character should mostly represent one main aspect of your own personality. (For example, if you're a bit shy, or got a big ego, or are generally just polite and friendly to everyone, then this would be the main characteristic for the main character.) And the other characters will still consist of a best friend, and a shady individual.

You can write however you want provided you stick to that outline for the outset. Rune did have a good idea with just starting your own writing from the end of that paragraph, so you could also do that. Or you could even use the paragraph and just finish it as a story.

With college, it seems everyone knows it as "the place you go for education after secondary/high school". That's exactly what it is in the UK as well. Because we finish secondary school at an earlier age, we can start college at the age of 16 onwards. I personally wouldn't have thought a difference of one or two years would have that much of an impact on the story itself. It was just meant to be really basic.

So yeah, have at it. :D

Whoever wins, rather than writing an opening paragraph, will give an outline for the story opening and the characters involved for the next competition. Cheers for all your input, and I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm. :D

• Like 1

2 years can make a huge difference in the maturity, knowledge and independence of the character.

In America, unless you drop out, you have 12 years of schooling (13 if you count the glorified daycare that is Kindergarten) before you're done with normal schools. Elementary, junior high (or middle school) and finally high school.

In the UK, unless you start earlier than we do... which would be really weird. You only have 10 before you're done with normal schooling. I assume they probably push you harder in those 10 years so you learn just as much (which would have been perfect for me, but that's hardly the point) but regardless, at the end of normal schooling, you go off to college.

We start full time education at the age of 4, so we also have 12 years of school before we can apply for college. But it's up to you what age you want your main character to be. If it's 18 when people go to college over in America, then he/she can be 18. It's rather irrelevant to the contest as a whole, but if you feel it's the sort of thing that will have such an impact on your own entry, then adapt. :) Your entry could be set wherever you like, and people can be in college at whatever age you like.

The age isn't so much the issue as the setting. College, at least the one I went to, lacks much of the drama that makes highschool so fun to write about. People tend to ignore anyone they don't know/don't want to know. There aren't nearly as many roaming packs of wild bitches ready to attempt to make other girl's lives miserable. People who skipped classes in highschool tend to show up a lot more when they're the ones paying for it, and in general, if the work wasn't harder, it would be a very boring place. Regardless, I think I'm with my lady on this one.. I'll just write something, and if it doesn't fit the contest. Too bad, I'll keep going anyway.

• Like 1

Why don't we stick with the general outline for the opening? You can write it in any way you want, provided it sticks to the whole "person getting up and ready for college, but finds an unusual sheet of paper that he/she finds suspicious and decides to investigate."

The main character should mostly represent one main aspect of your own personality. (For example, if you're a bit shy, or got a big ego, or are generally just polite and friendly to everyone, then this would be the main characteristic for the main character.) And the other characters will still consist of a best friend, and a shady individual.

As long as it sticks to those elements, it's fine. You needn't question me on all this. Provided you work from the above points, then you can write whatever you want. It doesn't have to be set in the sort of college you'd get in the U.K. The character doesn't have to be aged 16.

It's set in college: It can be American college, European college, Asian college... Whatever. Just use what you know rather than trying to clarify everything with me. I left this as open as possible while still maintaining a concept for everyone to work from, so write what you want. Just stick to the opening theme and character concepts. :)

Besides, if I was to say that I had to dictate what everyone writes, it wouldn't really be fair as it would give me a much greater advantage.

Sorry if I misunderstand, but it's just coming across like everyone's trying to base their story from what college and everything was like for me. Just use your own personal experiences. :) For those who haven't attended college, all it is is a place of higher learning. You got primary school (Elementary school in the U.S, I think), secondary school (High school), college, and finally university.

As for the college setting, you can make it any way you want anyway. :)

• Like 1

why not have something short and ambiguous?

"He/She woke. The dampness of the forest floor had saturated his/her clothes. [character] lifted his/her head, a layer of grimy leaves remained stuck to her/his face. The sun was hidden beyond the unyielding columns of tree trunks. He/She had no recollection of entering the forest, or of the last-however many had actually passed- hours."

The opening given to people should be as unintrusive as possible, whilst at least making the reader want to see what happens in the next [your] paragraph.

although, I don't know why I'm bothering to say any of this as I probably won't have time/too bloody stressed to enter

That intro would be much easier to work with. It's short enough that any details it's lacking in wouldn't be noticed, and has just enough detail that it wouldn't be entirely out of place. However, we've got our outline for this time.. and I'm already really into the story it's created for me now. Still not sure if it will fit exactly.. but since the only requirement seems to be college, I think it will fit in just fine.

Huh. That intro that drum wrote actually has a narrative style, an pretty good style as well. The only reason I can see it being better would be it is more descriptive, yet that in a sense is a double edged sword. lol. But meh, no matter now.

Just thought I'd say my final piece, people seem to think that paddy is/was putting a lot of restriction on it. I really don't think he ever was. It kinda just seemed like a pointless venture trying to convey that, hence why I may have came off as hostile. But, in truth I couldn't care less.

Also it seems like we are nitpicking over something that really doesn't need to be looked into or broken down so much. I, for instance, plan to make my character 28, having just lost his house to a fire and needs to stay at his mothers to continue attending college while his house is rebuilt, and there is nothing in the intro or requirements that restricts that. I'm sure Paddy doesn't care if thats my entry, as long as it make sense.

Anyhoo, happy writing peoples!

• 4 weeks later...

GUYS WHY CAN'T YOU BE HAPPY WITH SOMETHING!? it doesn't matter what the competition thrown in front of you is you find something wrong with it!

paddy is trying to encourage some creative writing and something interesting to happen and i for one and interested, even if i am a little late. I will certainly participate in a future competition if poor paddy hasn't given up because he got nothing but grief from people who could write potentially brilliant pieces if they'd only given it a chance instead of nit picked.

• Like 4

Haha, it did kinda take a bigger turn for the worst than I expected. I just don't see why people couldn't have just continued on from the opening paragraph I supplied, as Rune suggested. :D I mean, it was just meant to be something really simple, and not to be taken so seriously. :)

But yeah, my inactivity had been down to an unexpected turn of events in my own personal life, which were obviously of higher priority. xD If anyone has completed an entry for this month's attempt, feel free to pm them to me and I'll post them up for voting. I won't put down any names until voting is finished and a winner announced. :) It'll be good to at least try and keep the ball rolling as there evidently is a lot of interest in this.

GUYS WHY CAN'T YOU BE HAPPY WITH SOMETHING!? it doesn't matter what the competition thrown in front of you is you find something wrong with it!

paddy is trying to encourage some creative writing and something interesting to happen and i for one and interested, even if i am a little late. I will certainly participate in a future competition if poor paddy hasn't given up because he got nothing but grief from people who could write potentially brilliant pieces if they'd only given it a chance instead of nit picked.

Amen to that sister! *clicking finger noises* lol

Unfortunately my mind, like EO, has been elsewhere in my writing. I actually have about 400 words typed out for the intro of the story, but was completely side tracked by the WriMo and other ventures. If you want to try and start again fresh then I'm definitely game to get something done. If not then that is a shame.

No worries, guys. :) I probably won't be able to whip anything up myself this time 'round, but don't mind attempting to manage things. Err, why not have an extention 'til Dec 31st and have the voting on the 1st of January until the 5th? Get things going for a January Story Of The Month and hopefully the ball will roll on from there?