Yet Another IQ Test Thread

Dae314

So I'm sure this kind of thing has been posted numerous times in the past on every forum that's ever existed ^^. However stumbleupon gave me this site which is basically a no-strings attached fun iq test thingie that doesn't try to over glorify itself. Under normal circumstances I would've taken the test (max time is 40 min), looked at the result, said "cool", and then moved on.

However, this one got me thinking... It's a fun easy test that doesn't force you to give away any information. It gives you a score based on how well you did at the end, and it doesn't restrict you from retakes (since the answers aren't given) so technically you have unlimited tries at it. Do any of you think this can be used as a base for a forum game?

I'm thinking something similar to the Good vs Evil game, and so instead of +/- 2 your IQ score is the number you get to add/subtract (honor code for your scores of course). Other easy things involve stuff like "guess the IQ of the next poster" or using your IQ score as the number of words you need to add to a story.

I can also see more complex games coming out like using this game and maybe a few others that I know of to generate initial stats on a small rpg type of forum game. Or using initial IQ to rank members who want to play and stage debates that moves members up and down the rankings (something like "who's the smartest" I guess...). These kinds of complex games require an arbitrator though.

I don't know, I'm just bouncing ideas around right now, what do you guys think?

Oh, in case you're curious I scored 112 with that test on the first try. Took about 25 minutes for me to finish. I probably could've scored more if I went back and checked some of the questions I rushed on. I wasn't exactly going for a high score in this, just curious to see what I would get ^-^ (then I thought hey what if this could be made into a forum game xD).

edit: second try (basically what would've happened if I went back and checked my work with the time I had remaining the first time), I got 122.

---------------------------------------edit----------------------------------------------

Games in this thread moved up here for easy access:
/>http://forsvar.fileflat.com/english/
/>http://www.flashninjaclan.com/zzz5884_Skill_test_2.php
/>http://www.missionred.com/games/reflexte.html
/>http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/floats.htm
/>http://armorgames.com/play/11152/multitask-2

Edited by Dae314

Ahhh, what. I clicked on menu and then I guess I accidentally clicked on "Home" and now I'm going to cry. creycreycrey

Anyway, I took it again (I'm pretty sure I picked the same answers--except for the last one because I guessed completely randomly) and got 126, which is unexpected because after like twenty of those, I stopped understanding what I was doing. What is.

I don't know if a story game based on this would go over well, but any sort of counting game would be doable.

After like the 5th question I was like are all of these just pattern based. So I stopped since it didn't seem very balanced. :P

Patterns from HELL. Some of the ones based on rotations were boggling my mind because my spatial skills are subpar. At least there weren't any 3D ones to make my head explode. Or maybe there were, and I wasn't clever enough to catch it.

• Like 1

Yeah I've never taken an IQ test.

After like the 5th question I was like are all of these just pattern based. So I stopped since it didn't seem very balanced. :P

If you think about what you just said that's a terrible reason to stop. Pattern recognition is probably the most important aspect of intelligence. Lots of problem solving is rooted in recognizing patterns, and I'll bet that nearly every major discovery ever made by science is based on recognizing a pattern, analyzing it, and proving that the pattern is consistent with reality. Although I understand your point that some people can be bad at recognizing those kinds of patterns yet still be "intelligent". However, I don't think that test has any type of official notices on it saying "this test is 100% official, if you score too low men in white shirts will be knocking on your door". The point of this was really to have fun. See what you can do. Don't take the result personally. Don't use it to compare against others in any type of serious discussion. Most other IQ tests you find on the web are either scams to get your information (like they'll only text you your score) or you have to pay to see it.

I don't know if you noticed this, but in the instructions it says "if there's more than 1 right answer pick the simplest one" or something to that effect. That sentence implies that the test isn't just right-wrong answers. It's evidence that the answers in that test are weighted. Answering in a certain way may seem wrong, but perhaps that answer reveals a deeper recognition of the overall pattern than the more obvious answer. I'm honestly treating this more like a puzzle game than an IQ test ^-^.

I think the "guess the IQ of the next poster" and "IQ based GvE" are probably the most solid ideas for simple games.

For a more complex game though, what if I added in tests like:
/>http://www.missionred.com/games/reflexte.html
/>http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/floats.htm
/>http://armorgames.com/play/11152/multitask-2

And used that to generate starting stats. Then I'd just need to come up with a game framework that would allow interaction between players in an organized but fun way that doesn't require much arbitration...

What's crey? Is that cry with a silent e?

Also those were skills related games. They have nothing to do with your IQ. Most RPG games have you start with a set of attributes (str, dex, int, luk, etc.). And lol your scores are low because it's your first try at the games xD. Floats is amazingly hard till you get used to it. The reflex game isn't too hard. The multitask game isn't too hard, but it requires practice. Hmm... lets see I could also add in this game that I just remembered:

/>http://www.flashninjaclan.com/zzz5884_Skill_test_2.php

The problem with using all these games is that they're not all on the same scale as the IQ test -_-. Lets see... I think I can normalize the scores with a simple equation something like this that I found online:

(scale_max - scale_min)(score - game_min)
------------------------------------------- + scale_min
game_max - game_min

I'm going to go for a 0-200 scale so that I can keep the IQ score raw, and I can assume all games have a min score of 0 so...

basically the equation would amount to (200*score)/assumed_game_max

reflex assumed max = 300,000

floats assumed max = 10,000

multitask assumed max = 150

skill test assumed max = 300

Hmm so then IQ = int stat, multitask = dex stat, skill test = str stat, reflex = speed stat, and floats = luck stat.

Now how to string all this together...

• 2 weeks later...

lulz.png

I don't know what the recruitment rates are in Sweden, but if they're anything like the US's, I suspect these results might be a little buffed up to make you feel like you'd be a totally awesome officer, haha. Interesting tests, though. Not that I needed a test to tell me my short term memory and spatial abilities are garbage. I wept copious tears.

tumblr_m9gcuhiQl11qzckow.gif

• 1 month later...

I did pretty good, apart from the word search where I didn't hear one of the words :(

I can't believe that one of the highest scores I got was for memory, which I consider to be pretty terrible. Maybe it is because it was super short term memory.

I am always forgetting things in my day to day life!

f4eex1.png

Edited by zx0

I can tell you, that this isn't a substitute for an actual Mensa test. I took that test three times when I was younger, at three year intervals (for some reason they told me to wait that long in between tests), starting at 9, and ending when I was 15. The lowest I ever got on them was 146. A Mensa test would have far more than just pattern recognition: it would have code solving (I remember doing one where there was no key provided; I remember feeling proud of myself for solving that one at 12); mathematics etc.

Guys don't feel bad if you get a low score here. This one tests only pattern solving. I did the test and got 105. That only means that pattern solving isn't one of my strongest skills (neither is spatial orientation).