Starting Universal Century

I've been a gundam fan for a few years and for awhile now I've been looking to get into the U.C. timeline. However there are so many OVAs, prequels, sequels, side stories etc.. that I'm a bit lost.

Normally, I prefer to start a series from the very beginning and go in order. But in this case, I would rather start with a well regarded sereis that I'll probably like and then jump into others.

If I have this correct, Gundam 079 begins the timeline (since Origin hasn't been released right?); while I've heard good things about the 08th MS team, Gundam 0080 (which happen at the same time?) as well as Gundam 0083.

So what do you think? Could I watch one of the others like 08th MS team or 0083 as a starter? Or do you really have to see the original first to understand/appreciate the other series in the timeline? Is there a particular U.C. series you thought was awsome and would totally recommend (or would recommend based on below)?

Quick background - I've seen SEED, SEED Destiny, Wing and 00. Out of those 00 was my favorite with SEED beeing very close behind, both outstanding. Personally I thought wing was Ok, not bad, but not that good- I know its well liked so nothing against it, just my exp.

-Sorry for the long post, I might be overdoing/overthinking this... :)

Thanks in advance for your replys!

Edited by Emotional Outlet

Seed is almost a direct copy of 0079 with different characters.

I honestly would still recommend seeing the original.

All of U.C. time line TV series however follow in plot very closely.

You can skip a lot of the OVA's and such though.

Definitely see 0079 and 08th MS Team at least though.

I'd suggest seeing Zeta and Gundam ZZ as well however.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the same boat as you (except i slightly prefer SEED to 00. Wing started off great and lost itself in the middle. I hope you've seen endless waltz though!). I'd watch the original just for the context. It feels a little slow and the animation is dated, but still worth it. The first half of SEED is almost a carbon copy of 0079. 08th MS team is a must see and 0083 Stardust Memory is fantastic. 0080 War in Pocket is quite different, i kind skipped it because i really want to watch Zeta, but i have since been convinced to double back and finish it.

• 4 weeks later...

For myself, when I was wading into Universal Century, I followed pretty much a chronological path and I think that worked out fine. Which means starting with 079 and then 8th MS Team and War in the Pocket. Personally, I loved 079 despite the age and somewhat dated animation. If you aren't liking what you see, though, you can switch over to the movie versions instead which feature somewhat better animation and eliminate alot of what some may call filler. As mentioned 08th MS team is a real highlight of UC so it's a good next choice. War in the pocket was also highly enjoyable. You may want to consider watching the various MS Igloo OVAs at that point if you're OK with CG anime - I enjoyed them all - they're basically vignettes for the war presented in 079.