Gravity Rush Review

Gravity Rush

Gravity_rush_US_cover.png

This game is the reason I was going to buy a PSVita. Even after reading a bad review from a popular site, I decided I would buy it anyway, and this game is awesome.

In Gravity Rush you play as Kat, a girl that fell from the sky and has no memories. With the power to control gravity with the help of her cat, Dusty, she must protect the city of Hekseville against the Nevi. Meeting all sorts of people and making friends along the way, all the elements are there for a "manga-ish" superhero origins story.

The game was said to have a bande-dessiné (France/Belgium "comic-book" drawing style) look, but it looks to me like manga, and it is made in Japan, so I'm just going to say manga from now on. The cut-scenes are manga panels and some of them have animation. There is a little of voice acting, but the voices are in Japanese, most of the game is text, which could be a downer for some people. I think it works well with the art-style, I had the impression I was reading a superhero manga while still playing a game at the same time.

The gameplay goes like this. You press "R" to go in no gravity mode, and then you aim where you want your gravity and press "R" again to fly (or fall) in that direction. When you hit a wall, it becomes your floor. I should say, there is no falling damage, that would be silly. The combat is kicking, if you are on the ground you kick your enemies, when you are flying, you do a flying kick. There are no big combos, but there are special attacks that come in later in the game, which I didn't use that much. When the bosses are weakened, thouch the blue circle in the screen and Kat does a finishing move. In another review, there was complaining about the gameplay, because the reviewer wasn't able to hit the enemies each time. I call that difficulty. Missing a kick is part of the game, maybe he just wanted to keep on reading, not playing.

Kat's powers can be upgraded by spending Gems, which are spread in the world. They can also be obtained by completing challenges. Kat's reputation affects how much her powers can be upgraded. You can get reputation by doing the main story and side quests.

Gravity Rush has a 10 hour story along with small side quests, challenges and some exploration. There are DLCs that will be coming, because the achievement Trophies are already installed. Since this is an origins story and how it ends, it makes me hope for a sequel. This may just be me talking, but I think this is a must-buy for every PSVita owner.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

• 5 months later...

I own this game and love it, I havent finished playing it but as far as I've played I enjoys it, for me there was a somewhat challenging boss fight but beyond that the game is Epic, yes there are DLC that is out for Gravity Rush,I havent gotten the DLC yet cause I'm not that far into the game the only reason I bought my Vita was just for Gravity Rush, I can't play the game for more then 30 mins at a time due to the Gravity manipulation I get nausea but after that goes away I play more ^-^

• 4 weeks later...