Spring 2012 Anime Season

Koby

Chart:

iIrw2JgoAX24G.jpg

Well hell. I tend to try and pick no more than seven series a season, usually aiming for four or less actually. However the Spring season rarely allows for that as it's the biggest season of the year for anime. Of like the sixty shows being aired this season here is what has piqued my interest and what I'll be checking into.First things first,

Obligatory sequels/prequels/spinoffs:

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean - Being a huge fan of Eureka Seven I can't pass this up. I only hope it doesn't become another failure like that shitty ass movie.

Fate/Zero 2nd Season - Haven't actually seen any of the Fate/ series although they've been on my plan to watch for a really long time. I will someday get around to them as as such I will be grabbing this show as well.

Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden - I have absolutely no hope for this, but being a fan of Naruto I'm obligated to at least give it a try. I can foresee myself likely dropping this after the first couple episodes.

Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2 - Still haven't watched season one, but going to be grabbing this just the same.

Queen’s Blade: Rebellion - Not a big fan of Queen's Blade but I like it enough that I haven't decided to stop watching all the sequels they keep doing. I still need to watch that last OVA series so I probably won't be watching this as it airs, but I will get to it at some point.

Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A - A big fan of the original Saki anime. I'm a bit disappointed we haven't seen a season two yet especially since the story was just getting to what it had been building up to. I've been excited about this spin-off since it was announced. I can only hope it does the show justice, although I have been told it likely won't focus on mahjong. :'(

High Expectations:

Accel World - The first of two Kawahara Reki light novels to be adapted. Summer 2012′s Sword Art Online being the other (which I am also really anticipating, probably even more so than Accel World). In 2040, the Internet has evolved to a point where everyone uses neuro-interfaces to interact inside virtual worlds. Sounds like my kind of place!

Ozma - This was the early bird of the season and at only 6 episodes it's already a third of the way complete while most of the season hasn't even began. The story "in the distant future where the elevated radiation from the sun has destroyed the environment on Earth, covering the planet in sand and drastically decreasing the birthrate of humans" sounds like my kind of series and I'm really digging the artwork so I couldn't pass it up.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - I’m a big fan of supernatural mystery shows and this seems to be somewhat in the same vein as recently aired Another. It also raised my interest in this show when I found out Oonuma Shin, best known for directing the anime adaptions of Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two, is who will be bringing us this anime adaption. If you know me at all, you likely know that ef ~ a tale of memories is one of my all time favorite series.

Uchuu Kyoudai - The story of this show is about like any young boys dream. How many of you wanted to be an astronaut and travel through space as a kid? Hell I still want to go space exploring. I often dream of it being like Star Ocean, etc.. This tale of one man’s personal development while on the road to following his dreams is a heartwarming one with many themes that can be easily identified with. It could easily become the sleeper hit of the season.

ZETMAN - For those of you looking for a dark and brutal series this spring, the adaptation of Katsura Masakazu’s manga will probably fit your bill. In an age that is sadly devoid of brutal violence and badass protagonists, ZETMAN is a very promising breath of fresh air this spring season.

Low Expecations:

Hyouka - This show sounds like another mystery anime that will fall on either end of the spectrum — really, really good or really, really bad. Beginning when the shy Oreki Houtaro decides to finally join a club after a bit of nudging by his older sister, he meets its three members: the perfect girl Chitanda Eru, who turns into a mystery maniac the moment something interests her; the amazingly smart Fukube Satoshi who can’t put two and two together; and the hot-headed Ibara Mayaka. It sounds a bit too much slice of life for me so I'm a bit weary of this. I've grown tired of the slice of life genre as they seldom are unique.

Jormungand - Takahashi Keitaro‘s manga is a dark ride. It’s the story of child soldier Jonah who joins a group of arms merchants led by the charismatic Koko. This could be one of the most challenging and disturbing shows of the season, and it’s being adapted by White Fox, who worked on Steins;Gate (which I still haven't seen but have heard everyone talk about it). Jormungand so far though hasn't really left any expectations from the plot or previews so I'm a big undecided on it still.

Medaka Box - Extremely low on expectations, I may actually end up not picking this up in the end, but at least for the moment I figured I may as well give it a shot for a few episodes to see how it goes. Although I gotta say it does have me curious, with it being a Gainax original (Gurren Lagann comes to mind). Gainax’s original series are always a treat to behold, even if they tend to do funny things to your mind.

Sankarea - High school boy meets high school girl. Sankarea follows Furuya Chihiro who is obsessed with all things undead. He meets Sanka Rea and they become friends. Together they try to resurrect Furuya’s dead cat. One things leads to another and Rea turns into a zombie! Might as well give it a go, but it if turns into anything like Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? I'm gonna be dropping it.

Shining Hearts ~Shiawase no Pan~ - I don't know why (considering I've never played the game it's based on) but ever since I originally heard it was to be animated and I saw the artwork I have been interested in this adaptation. It doesn't rank high for me, but it's enough for me to really want to check out a few episodes and see how it goes. Based on SEGA’s Shining Hearts RPG, this adaptation features an emotionless anmesiac girl named Kaguya who washes ashore on Wyndaria after a storm. There she meets the swordsman Rick, and his three coworkers at the island’s bakery. Trouble starts brewing as a sudden onslaught of pirates invade the island in search of Kaguya’s necklace. Wanting to restore peace to their island and restore Kaguya’s memories and emotions they set out on their adventure.

Plan to watch the following

Accel World [promo video looks good]

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean [Must Watch being an Eureka Fan]

Fate/Zero 2nd Season [Must Watch because i watched the first season]

ZETMAN [promo video looks good]

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [hope its something like ghost hunt or another]

I plan on getting all the sequels to series, mainly Eureuka 7, Phi Brain, Queens Blade, and Fate/Zero. The Eureka 7 probably wont be as good as the first series, but should still be enjoyable. Fate/Zero and Phi Brain will be just as masterful as the first seasons. I am on the fence about Queens Blade, but really its just an ecchi fest so it cant exactly be bad...

As for series that I havent heard about before, theres three in particular that I plan on at least following and seeing how they go. First is Accel World, really sounds like a great concept and I can see lots of possibilities with the anime. Second off is Zetman, mainly because it sounds like it will become another Gurren Lagann except more mature. The third would be Jormungand. It seems like an interesting idea, and I have a feeling that it will be better than the hype for it. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Also, I might check out Upotte!! if it gets some good reviews, looks like it will be fairly entertaining to watch but only if they do it properly

Really excited for the second season of zombie.

Biggest worry is the new Eureka Seven. It's being called a sequel, but the events of the manga so far throw that into serious question. I don't think it'll suck as hard as the "movie" did, but hard core fans expecting a true sequel may be in for a very unpleasant surprise.

are my eyes deceiving me? Another football anime? :o

Another promising season, ones that interest me:

ginga e kickoff: football, must-watch

Ozuma: wow. the story sounds very, very interesting

Kuroko no basuke: another interesting sports anime, Japan seems to be producing a lot recently

Eureka Seven AO: Massive, massive fan of E7, must watch.

Fate/zero 2: big fan, gotta watch after the first series was so great

zetsman: something as crazy as elfin lied?

accel world: interesting premise

fate zero and kenichi ovas too

I actually am quite intrigued by a number of shows, very promising season, hope it delivers

• 2 weeks later...

Probably gonna watch Kore wa Season 2 sometime, after I get around to finishing season 1.

Want to watch Fate/Zero as it looks pretty awesome, but again haven't watched the first one.

Started watching Sankarea today, and it has just that kinda of twisted humor I enjoy.

Medaka Box might as well go on the list, it's Gainax so I'm sure it'll have it's moments.

(As well as ARRRRGGGHHHHH WTF rage).

Some of the others look interesting, but might wait a bit on watching them unless they grab my attention enough.

All in all, looks like a decent season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chart:

iIrw2JgoAX24G.jpg

Well hell. I tend to try and pick no more than seven series a season, usually aiming for four or less actually. However the Spring season rarely allows for that as it's the biggest season of the year for anime. Of like the sixty shows being aired this season here is what has piqued my interest and what I'll be checking into.First things first,

Obligatory sequels/prequels/spinoffs:

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean - Being a huge fan of Eureka Seven I can't pass this up. I only hope it doesn't become another failure like that shitty ass movie.

Fate/Zero 2nd Season - Haven't actually seen any of the Fate/ series although they've been on my plan to watch for a really long time. I will someday get around to them as as such I will be grabbing this show as well.

Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden - I have absolutely no hope for this, but being a fan of Naruto I'm obligated to at least give it a try. I can foresee myself likely dropping this after the first couple episodes.

Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2 - Still haven't watched season one, but going to be grabbing this just the same.

Queen’s Blade: Rebellion - Not a big fan of Queen's Blade but I like it enough that I haven't decided to stop watching all the sequels they keep doing. I still need to watch that last OVA series so I probably won't be watching this as it airs, but I will get to it at some point.

Saki Achiga-hen episode of side-A - A big fan of the original Saki anime. I'm a bit disappointed we haven't seen a season two yet especially since the story was just getting to what it had been building up to. I've been excited about this spin-off since it was announced. I can only hope it does the show justice, although I have been told it likely won't focus on mahjong. :'(

High Expectations:

Accel World - The first of two Kawahara Reki light novels to be adapted. Summer 2012′s Sword Art Online being the other (which I am also really anticipating, probably even more so than Accel World). In 2040, the Internet has evolved to a point where everyone uses neuro-interfaces to interact inside virtual worlds. Sounds like my kind of place!

Ozma - This was the early bird of the season and at only 6 episodes it's already a third of the way complete while most of the season hasn't even began. The story "in the distant future where the elevated radiation from the sun has destroyed the environment on Earth, covering the planet in sand and drastically decreasing the birthrate of humans" sounds like my kind of series and I'm really digging the artwork so I couldn't pass it up.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - I’m a big fan of supernatural mystery shows and this seems to be somewhat in the same vein as recently aired Another. It also raised my interest in this show when I found out Oonuma Shin, best known for directing the anime adaptions of Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two, is who will be bringing us this anime adaption. If you know me at all, you likely know that ef ~ a tale of memories is one of my all time favorite series.

Uchuu Kyoudai - The story of this show is about like any young boys dream. How many of you wanted to be an astronaut and travel through space as a kid? Hell I still want to go space exploring. I often dream of it being like Star Ocean, etc.. This tale of one man’s personal development while on the road to following his dreams is a heartwarming one with many themes that can be easily identified with. It could easily become the sleeper hit of the season.

ZETMAN - For those of you looking for a dark and brutal series this spring, the adaptation of Katsura Masakazu’s manga will probably fit your bill. In an age that is sadly devoid of brutal violence and badass protagonists, ZETMAN is a very promising breath of fresh air this spring season.

Low Expecations:

Hyouka - This show sounds like another mystery anime that will fall on either end of the spectrum — really, really good or really, really bad. Beginning when the shy Oreki Houtaro decides to finally join a club after a bit of nudging by his older sister, he meets its three members: the perfect girl Chitanda Eru, who turns into a mystery maniac the moment something interests her; the amazingly smart Fukube Satoshi who can’t put two and two together; and the hot-headed Ibara Mayaka. It sounds a bit too much slice of life for me so I'm a bit weary of this. I've grown tired of the slice of life genre as they seldom are unique.

Jormungand - Takahashi Keitaro‘s manga is a dark ride. It’s the story of child soldier Jonah who joins a group of arms merchants led by the charismatic Koko. This could be one of the most challenging and disturbing shows of the season, and it’s being adapted by White Fox, who worked on Steins;Gate (which I still haven't seen but have heard everyone talk about it). Jormungand so far though hasn't really left any expectations from the plot or previews so I'm a big undecided on it still.

Medaka Box - Extremely low on expectations, I may actually end up not picking this up in the end, but at least for the moment I figured I may as well give it a shot for a few episodes to see how it goes. Although I gotta say it does have me curious, with it being a Gainax original (Gurren Lagann comes to mind). Gainax’s original series are always a treat to behold, even if they tend to do funny things to your mind.

Sankarea - High school boy meets high school girl. Sankarea follows Furuya Chihiro who is obsessed with all things undead. He meets Sanka Rea and they become friends. Together they try to resurrect Furuya’s dead cat. One things leads to another and Rea turns into a zombie! Might as well give it a go, but it if turns into anything like Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? I'm gonna be dropping it.

Shining Hearts ~Shiawase no Pan~ - I don't know why (considering I've never played the game it's based on) but ever since I originally heard it was to be animated and I saw the artwork I have been interested in this adaptation. It doesn't rank high for me, but it's enough for me to really want to check out a few episodes and see how it goes. Based on SEGA’s Shining Hearts RPG, this adaptation features an emotionless anmesiac girl named Kaguya who washes ashore on Wyndaria after a storm. There she meets the swordsman Rick, and his three coworkers at the island’s bakery. Trouble starts brewing as a sudden onslaught of pirates invade the island in search of Kaguya’s necklace. Wanting to restore peace to their island and restore Kaguya’s memories and emotions they set out on their adventure.

Wow I can't wait for these animes!! >u<

Man, I can't believe Japan comes out with so many new animes each year. One thing puzzles me. How do they do it in time? I look forward to seeing.

I'm always wondering that too XD

But... I'm not complaining X3

Another anime that has announced another season is Hetalia XP I don't know exactly when it's coming out though ;W;

I have no clue why but this is one of my favorites XD

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...