4tb seagate hard drive- your opinion

Reptoholic

I am looking at getting a /Seagate GoFlex Desk 4TB USB 3.0 Black External Hard Drive STAC4000100/ and was going to see if any of y'all have had any experience with them. It's gonna be $280 and I was going to get y'alls opinion. Have you had any experience with them? what do you think ?Just let me know, any advice would be appreciated.

Pretty much only thing I can say here is that this is a bad idea,

a few weeks ago my dad sent me a 4TB drive and man was I happy. So I pretty much moved everything I had on my other externals to it, everything was going fine until for some reason a bloody message came up telling me I had to format it in order to use it, now this use to happen with my other drives sometimes and I'd just switch PC's and run a virus check on them and they would be fine but not this time. I figured it was no problem so I switched to another PC and the same message came up so that when I started to worry lastly I tried it on my desktop and what do you know the same message came up once more, I might have went into a little mad rage nothing much. In the end I had to format the drive but luckily for me I had not gotten around to wiping out the source of those files from my external and PC's. I returned the drive to my dad he took it back but I still haven't herd from him since then. I've also herd many different people complaining about drives this big crashing, even all computer stores I go to always advice me to get drives below 4TB.

My advice would be rather get two 2TB or get a maximum of 3TB but nothing above that, cause imagine losing over 2TB on data you can't get back. I'd just take the radio with me to the shower after that.

Couldn't have said it better myself Lemming but imagine carrying around a 4TB usually drives that big it's best to get the ones you plug into the wall.

But I just noticed something the price of that drive is rather small compare to how much my dad had paid for mine damn I have to start ordering my stuff of online more.

AVOID IT!

I own a Seagate 2TB FreeAgent and it keeps making the "Clicks of Doom", clicking noises that are made because the writer heads keep resetting themselves. Maybe I'm lucky, I've had it for over 4 months and it hasn't died yet but nearly 50% of the people who bought it on Amazon say differently.

a few weeks ago my dad sent me a 4TB drive and man was I happy. So I pretty much moved everything I had on my other externals to it, everything was going fine until for some reason a bloody message came up telling me I had to format it in order to use it, now this use to happen with my other drives sometimes and I'd just switch PC's and run a virus check on them and they would be fine but not this time. I figured it was no problem so I switched to another PC and the same message came up so that when I started to worry lastly I tried it on my desktop and what do you know the same message came up once more, I might have went into a little mad rage nothing much. In the end I had to format the drive but luckily for me I had not gotten around to wiping out the source of those files from my external and PC's. I returned the drive to my dad he took it back but I still haven't herd from him since then. I've also herd many different people complaining about drives this big crashing, even all computer stores I go to always advice me to get drives below 4TB.

That message usually happens when the computer recognises the hard drive but there's some kind of a glitch in the connection so the drive appears to be unformatted. The only way to get rid of that was to 'Safely Remove USB' every time you plugged it in. If that gave you an error and you took it out anyway, you'd have to restart the computer every single time you want to access the files.

Every.Single.Time

Trust me, its better to look for another manufacturer.

Thanks all for the responses, I did not know all of that. I was planning on getting one that plugged into the wall though, I have plenty of room on my mac to take my favorites and what I am watching with me, so I was just going to put all the rest in a big hard drive in my desk. Is it true the the ones that plug into the wall run faster?

I bought two of my 2 TB Western Digital hard-drives for $79 each.

Where did you get these at?

Also What Kind of Hard Drive do y'all recommend ? Any Ideas? I am trying to get a good deal with plenty of room. I need something to put my anime, movies,music and Pics on. So I need plenty of room.

are they usually at the price you got them at or was that a sale price? I mean $80 is an amazing deal.I know they usually jack prices up near christmas time and Im willing to wait till after if they have better prices then.

are they usually at the price you got them at or was that a sale price? I mean $80 is an amazing deal.I know they usually jack prices up near christmas time and Im willing to wait till after if they have better prices then.

Well normally the price is around $99 for them. I did catch both on on different sales nearly a year apart.

I'd probably wait if I was you if you can as it seems ALL HHD's on NewEgg, Target, Walmart, and BestBuy have had their prices skyrocket way beyond normal.

Don't buy immediately afterwards unless you see a bargain (2TB were going for ~$110 at one point; use as reference), 4TBs as they come through will push down the price per GB of HDDs, that will naturally decrease the price of the other HDD sizes.

SSDs wont be replacing HDDs for storage for a while (2-3 years at least) and will always have a place as they seem to last forever (i.e. indefinite time till fault) whilst SDDs will die eventually (case in point, I had some HDDs that were 15+ years old (magnetic) still working).

I would avoid buying hard drives in general right now, since the prices are outrageous due to the flood in Thailand. Also, higher capacity drives are still a little iffy. While hard drives as a whole have been around for a while, single drives with capacities that large are a relatively new trend, and have a tendency to be unreliable. Also, If I remember correctly, the 4TB drives actually have high density 2TB platters, and the chances of one of those platters failing is greater, and it would more than likely knock out the entire drive if one goes. All in all, I say it's a bad idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the other posters and someone advised me also never to really go past 1TB as if you lose all the data it can be a long hassle to get them back.

Also Fat 32 IIRC has a limit of 1.5 or 2TB, so you wouldnt be able to connect a 4TB to hardware that only accepts Fat 32 such as a PS3 or most HD TVs etc...