Room cleanliness

lemmingllama

Probably a 3 or something lol, I'm pretty messy i have random piles of DVD's, CD's and Games everywhere, A over flowing rubbish bin with some soda cans and screwed up paper on the floor around it and a pile of clothes that need washing by the door, lol.

sir, you have just described my room ._.

my room has random books, xbox games and dvds all over the place, plus I also have shoes or some clothes in front of my door. But right now its only one can of orange soda, 3/4 empty, I've been drinking mostly orange juice lately. mines a 4 or 5.

• 1 year later...

I've been living anywhere between a 1 and a 5 for the past few years because of crippling depression. Rotating shift work didn't help much either. It just made me even more tired and limited my spoons by that much.

There was a point where I didn't fold laundry for several months. I just piled it on top of the dresser after washing it. Finding anything in that massive pile was the worst.

Piles of papers everywhere (that seems to be the bane of most everyone's existence, it multiplies when no one is looking and you can't just throw it out because your friggin' social is on it), couch is completely buried with garbage, there's a huge sag in the couch because of my depressed butt lying on it for days on end. Kitchen a total disaster, there's just stains and old food everywhere. My desk would always be covered in papers and food wrappers and whatever. Hair ties and bobby pins. Mould everywhere, surprised I haven't died yet.

This was also the state I lived in while living at home. To be fair, I also lived in the basement and I was surrounded by unpacked boxes because depression apparently runs in my family. And totally legit, one of the houses we used to live in were condemned a few years back for black mould.

Since we moved last summer, we've been living roundabouts a 4-6, depending on the day and whether we were expecting company. We would clean up a little before my roommate's girlfriend would show up because listening to her talk shit about how I keep my living space was terrible. The only reason we weren't living in a total tornado (other than the occasional emergency clean up) was because we actually hadn't unpacked a lot of stuff.

Like there was a pile of clothes on the dresser that I hadn't touched until recently. There were bins filled with random unpacked stuff clogging up the entry way. They seriously took up over half the entryway and they were the first things you'd see coming up the stairs. Our bedroom was the worst--stuff everywhere, clothes all up on the floor, garbage hidden in the headboard cubbies, and there's legit a spiderweb on one of the spare monitors we have lying around. There were books and notebooks on the floor. Hair everywhere because I shed like no one's business.

Recently I started unfucking my habitat because, wow, being depressed sucks and being in a messy environment doesn't help at all! It makes me extremely stressed out and I'd get so mad about how shitty everything was and how little energy I possessed to do anything about it. It's been slow going, but I did a lot in a single week!

• Cleared out the entryway
    • I also hung up my tote bags and shopping bags
    • And some hats

• Cleared off the side console in the dining area (it was covered in papers and random bullshit)
    • Fixed up the drawers and actually set up the shredder properly

• Actually cleared off the laundry from the dinner table
    •  This one was pretty bad because I regularly used it as a storage station for clean clothes. Right now I'm still using it as a folding station, but I'm trying not to let clothes languish there for weeks on end any more

• Cleared out the bedroom
    • Getting Java on board with making the bed regularly has been a struggle, since I get up earlier than him
    • We also set up my PS2 in the bedroom, which gives me further impetus to keep the area stress-free and clean

• Cleared out the car
    • Legit cleared out two garbage bags' worth of junk mail from the backseat

• Cleared off my desk
  • And obviously I vacuumed, a task I neglected to do for many many months
    • It was so bad that you could hear all of the garbage being vacuumed up no matter where I went; and because we have two cats, there was just kitty litter everywhere

There's some stuff I still have to do.

I still have to clean the top of the headboard. Still have to clean the kitchen. Still have to clean the bathroom. (The kitchen and bathroom actually stress me out and I haaaaate cleaning those spaces.) Still have to clean out the bookcase attached to my desk. Still have to sort and organise random stuff I put aside in storage bins for later.

But compared to how it was before, it's not that bad. Instead of continuing to live in that 3-5 range, we're closer to the 7-9 range overall. Doubt we'll spend a lot of time as a 10 because entropy, haha.

• Like 1

I would say my house is about a 6 or 7.  I keep the trash in the trash can and most everything is out of the floor, but Mink, Sakura, myself, and our 3 cats live in a one bedroom apartment that has no storage space at all. So we have no room for anything.  So achieving a spotless level is clearly impossible and now we are about to have another child in a few months.  Our livings condition are very clearly to small...we are desperately trying to have the money to move into a bigger place, but that is proving to be very difficult...almost improbable.

Rei! You changed your name!!! Nice look to the whole thing^^^^

My room which I share with my mum would be somewhere around 7, 6 or even 5......looking at the state of it right now. If I had my own room, I might be neater and more methodical with the way I arrange my stuff but I've run out of space and all my free space is slowly getting invaded so yea, some of my things will be all piled up one on top of the other, especially books and magazines. 

1. My room is a fucking tip. piles of unwashed clothes amidst heaps of clean clothes (I have adopted a 'smell the armpit' policy before putting my shirts on). Books EVERYWHERE, I ran out of shelf space a while a go so the books just stay on whatever flat surface they last touched. Wires: I have extension cables snaking about on the floor. My xbox is rigged up to an old hi-fi system and a computer monitor. Xbox games follow much the same rule as books. Pot plants in various states of unwatered-ness. Unpacked boxes from when I moved in (which have mostly been used to stack books upon, and contain books themselves). The whole glorious ensemble is brought together by a ramshackle collection of furniture from the 'dead relative' range or the 'shit from our recently closed cafe' collection.

oh, and enough glasses of water and mouldy cups of tea to reenact that scene from 'signs'.

Oh man, speaking of mouldy cups of tea, at my tech school one of my classmates totally had mould growing in his friggin' mug because he never cleaned it and he'd leave in the classroom over the weekends. AND HE KEPT DRINKING OUT OF IT LIKE WHAT THE HELL BRAH???? It's a miracle he's still alive, though drinking that crap probably bolstered his immune system, haha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh, this is a hard one because it varies on what time of day it is. From the moment I wake up until I get off of work and about 2 hours after it raises to a perfect 10. All the bottles, cans, and glasses get thrown out or cleaned and the trash is taken out. The laundry goes in the laundry bag and the computer and gaming area is reorganized. The ashtray get's emptied out the window and cleaned in the sink, all the pizza boxes go in the trash as well. When I get off work, I'll take off my blouse and throw on my headphones and clean the bathroom, shower, floor and rug. The mop bucket is filled with bleach and pine sol. I vacuum with a hoover because it's usually the cheapest one I can find. I clean the surfaces with 409 and put use wet wipes on all the hard wood surfaces. I will then turn on the fan and put dryer wipes behind it they will stick from suction and blow the smell of smoke (because I'm not supposed to smoke in there any ways) out the window. After all is said and done the finishing touch is flipping the ashtray so it looks like a coaster instead. I will hang up my work clothes and if it's summer I will don a wife beater, with Hawaiian shirt combo, a pair of khaki's with some timberland boots and a pair of Oakley's.

Here's where the scale roles back to zero. I am something of a party animal and I smoke a lot and forget that I have an ashtray because it does a good job of disguising itself as a coaster. As the night goes on and the bottles stack up, the games come out, friends come in friends go out, the TV goes on and starts blasting 70's rock, someone pukes, everyone laughs, I may or may not leave and come back 3 to 6 hours later. 5 card stud or Texas Hold Em may happen and by the time I wake up the next morning the room is back at flat 0. Then begins the process of rinse and repeat.