Random Talk.

Talena Mae

I still find the tags helpful if I understand how someone views them. My friend would recommend an anime to me and tell me "It's like a shounen version of kimi ni todoke" and I'll have a general idea of what the anime would be like.

Using Aoi Bungaku as an example. It's a dark-as-heck anime, and I would 100% it's seinen. It's not that a children or girls can't enjoy it, but if they do it's more so a tribute to their taste.

Animes like Girls Bravo and H.O.T.D wouldn't normally be classified as shonen, but it is. So that whole thing about shojo, seinen is pointless.

I would say that they are shounen even if they were made by a seinen/shoujo company. haha.

Ah well, I didn't mean to blow it so out of proportion. I was just pretty surprised that my mind-set was the minority.

It's has a kind of romanticism feel to it, but it can be a bit strange in practice. When I see someone get out of a car, walk on the other side just to open the door for a girl, it seems a little bit odd.

But I have a big thing for old-styled houses, buildings and even towns. I think they're quaint and cute as hell.

From wiki

Seinen manga (青年漫画?) is manga marketed to a male audience aged roughly 17 on into their 40's. In Japanese, the word seinen means "young man" or "young men."

This was my understanding of the meaning up until now. (Basically, I had it registered in my mind as 'older then shounen', and shounen being children to 18)

And seeing as how the anime was rated R - 17+ in Japan, I had assumed that this would fall under seinen.

Though the internet does disagree with me. Damn you internet. But I still stand by my feelings in saying that it's a mix between the two.

----

Now I'm curious as to how you guys define an anime as 'shounen' or 'seinen'. (and for that matter, 'shoujo' and 'josei')

That is the technical definition. I normally just say that shounen is less mature and seinen is more mature. Shoujo is typically where the cast is female, reverse harem, or magical girl series. Josei is really just seinen in a different way, or its single women series where they complain about life being unfair a lot.

How dare you have opinions that aren't exactly the same as mine.

Unrelated note: What do you guys think about the people who want to bring back things like being a true gentlemen/lady? Any of that kind of nostalgic stuff.

I know! Only I am correct!

And being a gentleman/lady is really just about how you act, not about all that Victorian stuff. Leave it to the steampunkers for that.

I really like steampunk, but it always seems like when people bring up codes of conduct it's just to be a dick about it and act like they know everything. Especially when the stuff they're talking about isn't even historically accurate it's just rose-tinted revisionism but that's a different rant entirely lol

Steampunk is basically a genre in which the combustion engine either never got invented or never became popular. It pulls a lot from Victorian England technologically and culturally because that's where a lot of the inspiration comes from.

Ah thanks. I was a bit confused at how it linked to being gentlemanly and what not. :3

I really like steampunk, but it always seems like when people bring up codes of conduct it's just to be a dick about it and act like they know everything. Especially when the stuff they're talking about isn't even historically accurate it's just rose-tinted revisionism but that's a different rant entirely lol

That's part of the genre, everyone is supposed to know everything. So of course steampunkers are pretentious. Its like asking members of the Flying Spaghetti Monster cult to not wear strainers.

Wait, isn't steampunk like... steam-powered machinery - genre? Like steamboy?

And on another side note, am I the only one who doesn't use Kametsu's download section?

It is, but also backstory and such. I like hextech more anyways.

And I don't use it, I originally came for the downloads, but then stayed for the community.

That's part of the genre, everyone is supposed to know everything. So of course steampunkers are pretentious. Its like asking members of the Flying Spaghetti Monster cult to not wear strainers.

I was talking more about the people that aren't into steampunk, lol. Those people that always complain about how humanity is falling apart and how back in the olden times everyone was so morally proper and no violence and bla bla bla bla. Your steampunk displeasure saddens me though :'(

I was talking more about the people that aren't into steampunk, lol. Those people that always complain about how humanity is falling apart and how back in the olden times everyone was so morally proper and no violence and bla bla bla bla. Your steampunk displeasure saddens me though :'(

I actually quite enjoy the genre, I just dislike the people who LARP it.

And those are also people who believe that monarchy is the way to go. I just try to ignore those opinions and just let them be.

I actualy like the steam punk genre too, but I haven't run into anyone who is a big fan of that genre, or anyone talking about a code of conduct, ect.

since it is a genre, I don't think there is realy any code of conduct the story or characters need to follow.

What do they consider olden day, and were they even alive yet back then to see what things were like back then, because there was just as much violnce now as there was back in every olden day, the only thing that is different is the context why people act violent.

Most of that sounds really pretentious that those steam punk fans you haerd were saying.

As for ratings in japan and shounen and seinen

In japan the ratings are mostly effected by the amount of violence a manga or show has and less on sexual content unless it is realy explicit or hentai.

Shounen and Seinen, before seinen genre was made, many manga that are clasifide as seinen now, used to be considered shounen.

Since seinen genre exist now, anime and manga with explicit violence and or realy explicit sexual content is labled as Seinen, and are most of the time recomended for ages 15 and up.

Shounen are most of the time recommended for ages 7 to 15.

It doesn't mater if the series is dark or has innuendos or implies anything violent or sexual, as long as the violence of sexual content is not explicit, then it is shounen or shoujo.

The same rules aplys to Shoujo and Josei.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

Shounen and Seinen, before seinen genre was made, many manga that are clasifide as seinen now, used to be considered shounen.

Since seinen genre exist now, anime and manga with explicit violence and or realy explicit sexual content is labled as Seinen, and are most of the time recomended for ages 15 and up.

Shounen are most of the time recommended for ages 7 to 15.

It doesn't mater if the series is dark or has innuendos or implies anything violent or sexual, as long as the violence of sexual content is not explicit, then it is shounen or shoujo.

The same rules aplys to Shoujo and Josei.

You could go on the whole day couldn't you.

First of all, though some are true, Seinen are targeted towards the age group of 18 and above. Not all seinen fall under the catagory of explicit violence and or realy explicit sexual content. It's just who it would be more apealing to.

Like naruto, it's more apealing to boys then men, though a lot like it including men, girls, women.

The genre has nothing to do with the level of violence and sex. It's who would find it most apealing.

Ugh... One of my friends just spoilt Nobunaga the Fool for me and I'm really mad about it lol. I was going to watch the last episodes all in one go because I was getting really tired of it and then I load up Skype and I get flooded with what's happening in all the episodes it is a load of crap