List of possible suspects for Tobi's identity

RikuoAmero

Okay people, just thought I'd lay this out. It's a list of possible identity's for the character Tobi. Now SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't caught up with the most recent manga chapters, please leave now.

A couple of chapters ago, it was revealed that when Kabuto and Tobi were shooting the breeze, and Kabuto had resurrected the five Akatsuki members at once, he summoned a sixth coffin that scared the shit out of Tobi. That sixth coffin's occupant was not revealed to the reader, but two chapters ago, it was. Turns out, it was Madara Uchiha.

Now, unless your brain cells were killed long ago, this means that the guy who's been running around since Chapter 280 is NOT Madara. He's someone else. Who is he? Well, take a look at this list. Each possibility does have its own problems

1) A heretofore unnamed character that we haven't seen yet. Has no strengths or weakness, just someone completely unknown to us.

2) Izuna Uchiha. That's Madara's younger brother. Tobi has revealed that both Izuna and Madara were the first Uchiha to awaken the Mangekyou Sharingan. Let's just assume that Tobi was telling the complete truth. He also mentions that Madara eventually went blind from Mangekyou over-use and that Izuna gave him his own eyes, thus awakening the Eternal Mangekyou.

Problems with this are...that if the story about the eye transplant is true, then Tobi shouldn't have Sharingan eyes at all. He was shown to have had Sharingan eyes at least as early as the Nine Tailed Fox attack. A counter to this is that maybe at some point in time, he killed a random Uchiha and took their eyes.

Strengths for this are...that it explains why Tobi knows so much about the history of the shinobi world. He's lived it.

3) A time travelling Sasuke Uchiha. Time travel has been shown to be possible in the Naruto universe - one of the Shippuden movies has Naruto going back in time and meeting his father. So one possibility is that perhaps during the inevitable final battle between Sasuke and Naruto, Sasuke will somehow be blasted back into the past, where he assumes the identity of Izuna (perhaps there never was a real Izuna to begin with) where his lust for vengeance consumes him and he sets in motion the very events that ultimately destroyed his clan. Perhaps his twisted thinking will be that he tells Madara to reject the First Hokage's offer to found Konoha, thinking that if he can ensure the village is never built, then the Uchiha clan will be saved.

There are no strengths or weaknesses with this theory, at least not as far as I can see. If there are, please let me know.

4) The elder son of the Sage of the Six Paths. The elder son is said to have been the founder of the Uchiha clan. If this is who Tobi is, it explains his knowledge of the shinobi world, especially his knowledge of the Rinnegan; he'd know all about it, considering his father was the first person to have it. It would also explain Tobi's belief that brothers are destined fight each other, and about how strength is the way to peace; he did fight his younger brother.

5) The weakest theory in my opinion, but one I've heard from other forums, is that Tobi is actually just a piece or remnant of Madara. I don't believe this at all, since Kabuto says that for his Impure Summoning Jutsu to work, the person being brought back must be dead and have their soul in the afterlife. That to me means that if Tobi is a piece of Madara, then the Impure Jutsu wouldn't have brought back Madara.

Well that's all folks! If there are other possibilities, let me know.

Koby has already said what needs to be said:

Try to avoid using spoilers in topic titles. I've edited it.

Anyways to answer your question... yes. He really is Madara. It was confirmed in the manga long ago. Even the anime has confirmed it.. at least if you watch the subtitles.

Now while he is Madara... he's more or less a shell of his former self. He doesn't have near the strength he once had since he was injured in his fight against the first Hokage. He plans to resurrect the 10-tailed beast in a plan to pretty much hypnotize the world into unity with him as the worlds god or something along those lines. At least that is what he has claimed in the anime.

I have to agree with him on this one (i wastch the subbed anime and i read the manga)

Koby has already said what needs to be said:

I have to agree with him on this one (i wastch the subbed anime and i read the manga)

Didn't you read what I wrote? If he's Madara, then who was it who was resurrected? The Impure Summoning Jutsu needs the target to be dead and in the afterlife: ergo, Tobi can't be Madara, because if he is, then he couldn't have been resurrected!

You didn't get to hear about the full fight betweent he 1st hokage and Madara, so something could have happened in that fight, something the 1st did (or maybe even the 2nd as he is the 1st brother and the maker of the Impure Summoning Jutsu).

Plus i dont see the point in a thread like this, as only the writer knows what is going to happen and sometimes not even then! So i really dont see the point in trying to work it out as in the end everyone will find out anyway, so really it is just the game of "wait and see"

I notice you left off Obito Uchiha.

I know the chances of it are slim but at this point, the only thing we're positively(?) sure of is that the masked man is an Uchiha. Now I'm not saying that Obito himself is the guy behind it but it may be his body that's been taken over.

What's there to say that this new guy isn't just another body snatcher like Orochimaru trying to make Sasuke strong enough so he can take over his body and Mangekyo for himself.

Also, there's a chance that he's really really old because if you remember, Itachi said that the Mangekyo Sharingan eventually evolves into the Rinnegan. So, that lends credence to him being the second son of the Sage of Six Paths whose survived so long by jumping between Uchiha bodies.

I notice you left off Obito Uchiha.

I know the chances of it are slim but at this point, the only thing we're positively(?) sure of is that the masked man is an Uchiha. Now I'm not saying that Obito himself is the guy behind it but it may be his body that's been taken over.

What's there to say that this new guy isn't just another body snatcher like Orochimaru trying to make Sasuke strong enough so he can take over his body and Mangekyo for himself.

Also, there's a chance that he's really really old because if you remember, Itachi said that the Mangekyo Sharingan eventually evolves into the Rinnegan. So, that lends credence to him being the second son of the Sage of Six Paths whose survived so long by jumping between Uchiha bodies.

I left off Obito because as in your theory, it wouldn't actually be Obito per se, just his body. So that would still leave the identity of his possessor in question.

In any case, I highly doubt Obito anyway. He was an unremarkable shinobi, whose only claim to any kind of fame was that he was taught by the Fourth Hokage. Whereas for Sasuke and Orochimaru, Orochimaru says that Sasuke at that point in time is stronger than he was at that age. So a body snatcher wouldn't be likely to snatch Obito...plus there's the fact Obito died. What we know of the body snatch jutsu is that it requires a living body. You can counter this by saying maybe they resurrected Obito...but I would again counter that by saying why? What makes Obito so special?

And Mae, I just thought I'd make a list and have a discussion. Yes, it doesn't really serve a purpose in that all will eventually be revealed...but hey, its harmless.

Well the post I had said that was quote above is rather old and doesn't take into account recent events. Although everyone was always wondering who was in the last coffin I thought it was obvious it'd be Madara. Others agreed, but they all assumed as soon as Tobi claimed he was Madara and showed an eye.. that he must be telling the truth and they all forgot about the last coffin being Madara. Kabuto has made it pretty clear that with his Jutsu there is no way for Tobi to be Madara since he successfully resurrected Madara.

Obito is out as well because he wouldn't have been fully grown at the time of the Nine-tails attack and would have absolutely no reason to attack the village or anything of the sort.

Someone above said all we know is Tobi is definitely an Uchiha. Well that statement is false as well. We do not know that for sure. For example look at Kakashi or Danzo-- both of them made use of the Sharigan without being an Uchiha. Kakashi showed it's possible for non-Uchiha Sharigan users to still evolve into Mangekyo.

As for the time traveling theory. I don't think you could call that movie canon so I wouldn't really consider this either.

• 6 months later...

Here I have to go with Izuna Uchiha for various reasons. The reasons are:

1. Tobi knows way too much about the Madara and Izuna, and up until now all the data on those two given by Tobi has been proven to be correct.

2. It's true that if Tobi's story is true then Izuna should have been blind. But just like Rikuo said, for all we know Izuna could've killed any uchiha and taken his eye. It shouldn't be hard for a guy who could go toe to toe with Madara. Also I believe that at some point Izuna might have found Obito's body and took the right eye. This will also explain two things:

i). The reason Tobi can carry out a time-space based jutsu with his right eye.

ii). The reason Tobi never used Mangekyo Sharingan.

3. I know many people say "Tobi is the first son of sage of six paths". But it always seemed to me to be a little absurd. For all we know the Sage of Six Paths could've lived about a thousand years ago. So to think that some guy can live for that long is just a little absurd. On the other hand we have already seen a guy who has lived from the era of the 1st Hokage up until the current time line.......it's Kakuzu. So this proves that Izuna can somehow be still be alive.

Well these are just my own opinion.

I can't wait until Tobi's mask is busted off and it ends up being someone completely unexpected. I think that Tobi is really the Ichiraku Ramen guy.

That would be the greatest strategy ever for Tobi lol Cooking poison ramen for everybody in Konoha so once he starts fighting them they'll be easier to kill lol And since Naruto has the Kyuubi inside him and he seems to go to the ramen place the most it would make even more sense lol

Anyway, I think it's possible that Tobi is secretly Madara's brother cos he knows a lot about the Uchiha clan, its secrets, and their powers. He might also secretly be the Sage of the Six Paths himself for the same reasons I just stated and he has previously stated the Rinnegan originally belonged to him, not Nagato. However the Sage of the Six Paths has generally been portrayed as a good guy so that might rule him out.

It might also be possible that Tobi is not even from the Uchiha clan and just stole the eyes and implanted it himself similar to Kakashi (except it was given to him) and Danzo. As for his knowledge about the Uchiha clan, he might just have an extremely long lifespan and possibly even switched bodies to continue living longer and was there for majority of the Uchiha clan events.

That would be the greatest strategy ever for Tobi lol Cooking poison ramen for everybody in Konoha so once he starts fighting them they'll be easier to kill lol And since Naruto has the Kyuubi inside him and he seems to go to the ramen place the most it would make even more sense lol

LOL, Naruto fans will kill Kishi if that were to happen. Kishi would only do this if he had a death wish.

Anyway, I think it's possible that Tobi is secretly Madara's brother cos he knows a lot about the Uchiha clan, its secrets, and their powers. He might also secretly be the Sage of the Six Paths himself for the same reasons I just stated and he has previously stated the Rinnegan originally belonged to him, not Nagato. However the Sage of the Six Paths has generally been portrayed as a good guy so that might rule him out.

I myself think that Tobi is actually Izuna(Madara's brother) for some reasons. As for Tobi being the Sage of Six paths, I highly doubt it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...