Dragon Ball Kai discussion

Koby

4kids made him blue.

The Nick airing is surprisingly not edited much or at least I haven't noticed much if any. To be honest I didn't like the new saying Goku said before transforming. I was a fan of the old "I am your worst Nightmare".

DAMMIT TO HELL!!! 4KIDS STRIKE AGAIN!!!!!! I will admit that the "Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" has to be one of the most badass lines in the original DBZ dub. But this time around, I just want to finally have a dub that sticks close to the script.

Well they did son Goku because they are going more to be more close to the japanese dub and how they said it in the manga. But yeah I dont understand why they change voices for each opening for each part, first it was sean, then it was justin, and now its vic. I dont mind the new versions, hell I love each one, im just waiting for part 5 since they will have the new ending :D

People are still pissed they didnt use super dragon soul when goku turned ssj since super dragon soul is his insert song when hes ssj. Oh well haha

Yea, just got the 3rd volume and wtf? Who is going to be singing in volume 4? Chris Sabat? lol This isn't a big deal but consistency would be nice

Its fullscreen, unless you manually change it to widescreen (letterbox) on your dvd/xbox/ps3

since only japan got their verions in widescreen >> oh well. Kai is still great :D

The Japanese version has widescreen but its cropped just like the DBZ Season sets were. The DVD version you can have the screen filled via PS3 settings but I have the Blu Ray version....so I have to use TV settings to stretch. Kai looks pretty damn good in 1080p

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL i can see chris sabat doing part 4, hell I can probably ask him at ohayocon 2011 since hes the special guest there. I so want to see if he san sign my 3 box sets since so far i have chris ayers signatures on part 1 and 2 since he was at sugoi, bummer i couldnt get his brother greg to sign since he did guldo. but ill have a second chance since the three of them will be at ohayocon :D

But man, im sorry people will bash me for sure, but imo, Kai to me is alot better than the original, yeah people will say but i loved the filler and the original cast and blah blah blah, thats fine if you want to think that, but dont take that and say that against me. I love the new cast for Kai, its time for changes, and im happy they did the changes, the new dub really goes well with the scenes more than the older versions. hell when gohan watched krillin get stabbed from frieza, oh hell his voice actor did such a great job matching his reactions and such. I loved the fights with the ginyu force, hell their intro song was amazing, sucks they couldnt use the japanese version of the song since its copyrighted. but hell they knew how to improvise.

But its like people are bashing chris because of his voice for frieza, hell just as sean and chris said, he just does a better frieza. He sounds more sinister and evil, and his second and thrid form sound OMG amazing.

But im really looking foward to see how much more Funi can make Kai more amazing than it already is. I guess my rant is over for now haha unless someone comes here and goes into fanboy mode XD

But yeah still cant wait for part 4 8D!!!!!

Being a die hard dbz fan meaning I've seen the entire original edited version by funi, the uncut remastered version in english and japanese, currently re-watching the dragonbox sets and hell I've even watched the series almost to completion in friggin Spanish once when that was all that was available to me, it was pretty much the main reason I got into anime, I have to say I agree with you that they did an amazing job with Kai, as much as I love the original voices as well, despite the differences in the script compared to the japanese version The Va's do an even better job in Kai and honestly it's one of the few series with an english dubbed opening song that I can't help but listen to over and over, I like how they change the singer for each set since they all do a very good job, So yeah I totally agree with you, Kai is better than the original. but as you said, Fanboy haters gonna hate, but what can you do?

Being a die hard dbz fan meaning I've seen the entire original edited version by funi, the uncut remastered version in english and japanese, currently re-watching the dragonbox sets and hell I've even watched the series almost to completion in friggin Spanish once when that was all that was available to me, it was pretty much the main reason I got into anime, I have to say I agree with you that they did an amazing job with Kai, as much as I love the original voices as well, despite the differences in the script compared to the japanese version The Va's do an even better job in Kai and honestly it's one of the few series with an english dubbed opening song that I can't help but listen to over and over, I like how they change the singer for each set since they all do a very good job, So yeah I totally agree with you, Kai is better than the original. but as you said, Fanboy haters gonna hate, but what can you do?

THANK GOD someone finally agrees with me 8D haha :)

Well another thing is that the biggest hate about Kai is that they didnt reanimate the show, just the opening,eyecatches, and endings. Hell even if they did redraw the show, people would still complain about it, trust me, they would. Oh they shouldnt look like that blah blah so to me sorry it would be pointless, maybe if later on down the road he makes a new show and it would have the HD looks. but for me, Kai is perfectly fine as it is.

first off, I don't know what's the difference between the Old Dragonball series and the Ongoing Dragonball Kai. If Kai has better fight graphics and enhanced animations then as a Dragonball fan, I say it's great but if it is like the Old Dragonball series then I say that I should just stick with the old one because I don't see the need for downloading the new one if there is no major difference between the two. If someone could explain the difference for me, then by all means enlighten me :D

For the millionth time this will be explained since it appears google is no longer as well known as once was lol XD. Kai is a directors cut of the original dbz with better sound, cleaner picture(as close to dbz Hd as you'll get) fully reanimated opening and ending sequences and in the case of the english dub, a script that stays closer to the japanese script, it has a little less blood here and there, but this was necessary since Toei wanted to keep it for teenagers, but honestly, the only place you'll really notice this is when Goku gets pierced by Piccolo and it doesn't impale him, if you somehow find something else to complain about, then you're just bitching, there's also no filler in Kai. Overall it's better than the original DBZ especially when it comes to the english version.

Kai is overall better than Z in terms of animation, sticking to the script, range of voice acting, no fillers, etc.

However to me, DBZ will always be a classic and where the heart remains of this series. I still recommend people to watch DBZ before watching Kai because while Kai is better, it is missing something it can never take from DBZ.

For the millionth time this will be explained since it appears google is no longer as well known as once was lol XD. Kai is a directors cut of the original dbz with better sound, cleaner picture(as close to dbz Hd as you'll get) fully reanimated opening and ending sequences and in the case of the english dub, a script that stays closer to the japanese script, it has a little less blood here and there, but this was necessary since Toei wanted to keep it for teenagers, but honestly, the only place you'll really notice this is when Goku gets pierced by Piccolo and it doesn't impale him, if you somehow find something else to complain about, then you're just bitching, there's also no filler in Kai. Overall it's better than the original DBZ especially when it comes to the english version.

Kai is overall better than Z in terms of animation, sticking to the script, range of voice acting, no fillers, etc.

However to me, DBZ will always be a classic and where the heart remains of this series. I still recommend people to watch DBZ before watching Kai because while Kai is better, it is missing something it can never take from DBZ.

Wow! What should I say. "I have finally seen the light!" hahaha Thanks for enlightening me! Now, I'll definitely going to Download this series hahaha! I couldn't even distinguish what are the filler episodes in the old Dragonball because I was too young when I watched it! Now, I'm ready for some Supah Saiyan action again! Thanks!!!

Wow! What should I say. "I have finally seen the light!" hahaha Thanks for enlightening me! Now, I'll definitely going to Download this series hahaha! I couldn't even distinguish what are the filler episodes in the old Dragonball because I was too young when I watched it! Now, I'm ready for some Supah Saiyan action again! Thanks!!!

Same here, lol when I first saw Z I never even knew there was filler , all I knew was that it was awesome, even now I still enjoy most of the fillers.

Same here, lol when I first saw Z I never even knew there was filler , all I knew was that it was awesome, even now I still enjoy most of the fillers.

Hahah The MORE reason why we should take a sneak peek of this "Dragonball Kai" hahaha! Glad to know that someone else never forgets his old school animes :happy:

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since we've really had any news updates around here, so we might as well get all caught up with what's probably the biggest story on everyone's mind... Is DragonBall Kai ending after the Cell arc? The brutal answer is, yes, yes it is.

Multiple sources and blogs in Japan are now reporting that the series will indeed be ending this month. The most damning evidence comes from TV Pia magazine in Japan which publishes a regular feature looking at the upcoming Kai episodes. In the latest copy of the magazine an interview with Kusao Takeshi (Trunks) was published where he stated, "I hope they'll remake the Buu arc as well if they get a chance". The magazine also noted that there are only four episodes left, confirming an episode count of 98 for the series. Thanks to our buddy kei17 for snagging a copy of the magazine for us.

th_tv_pia-dbk-lg.png?t=1299482122

Fuji TV has also posted a list of all new programming which once again confirms that Toriko will be taking the Kai time slot at 9:00am every Sunday starting in April. The official Toriko website has also launched which contains an interview at Jump Festa with Toriko's voice actor, Okiayu Ryoutarou, in which he confirms that Toriko will be airing alongside the popular One Piece anime. It was also recently revealed that a cross-over special featuring Toriko and One Piece will be airing on Fuji TV on 3 April 2011. So with that, the final episode of Kai will air on 27 March 2011.

Unfortunately, there will most likely not be any official announcement from either Toei Animation or Fuji TV that Kai is indeed ending. Now that we finally know the fate of Kai, the most intriguing question is, why? There are multiple rumors flying around across the internet, but we'll probably never know the actual reason, or at least not from the horse's mouth. The most likely explanation is the massive decline in anime and manga sales across the board in Japan has forced companies to go with something that's massively popular to bring in a higher profit. This is especially true when you consider that Kai relies heavily on older fans of the series, while Toriko is a current Shounen manga with a rapidly growing young fanbase in Japan. This very well may be a "sink or swim" moment for a lot of companies in Japan, but that's enough speculation for now... there's a podcast for that which you should definitely check out toward the end of March, or so I'm told!

Source: http://www.kanzentai.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1299126637&archive=&start_from=&ucat=4&

I think it's retarded they are planning to leave the Buu saga out. Now if people go to watch GT after Kai they will be wondering who the hell Majin Buu and Uub are. They play a part in GT which continues the story from where Z left off, which is essentially where Kai should end as well.

With them leaving the Buu saga off I can officially state I will not buy the Blu-ray sets of Kai. I'll stick to my original Remastered Dragon Ball Z-- thank you.

I really Hope to God that they do the Buu Saga and this is hoping is a Hiatus. I posted this to Chris Sabat, so I wonder what he thinks about all this.

5 biggest shames with no Buu Arc in Kai:

5. We never see Kuririn and 18 really get together. Kuririn had lost all importance fighting, but seeing him find happiness in this arc with a family brought some needed closure to all the "oh crap, I'm in love with her, I can't kill her" stuff from earlier in the Cell Arc.

4. No Earth go boom. Just one of my favorite scenes from the Arc, and pretty memorable, even if it's back a few episodes later. This seemed to be the natural progression for Toriyama considering the development of the baddies powers and the urgency growing from arc to arc on what could possibly happen to everyone and everything Goku was trying to protect.

3. No Gohan/Videl. Videl was exactly the sort of character that story-wise worked to get with Gohan. All their antics and the growth of their relationship and love for each other go's at a nice pace, and it's probably the most well done romantic relationship in the Dragon Ball universe.

2. No Vegeta development. While Vegeta helping out Gohan in defeating Cell was pretty friggen' awesome, Vegeta ended up needing the Buu Arc to finish his 180 as a character. It was very believable, and the Majin Vegeta story twist was way too good, and easily the best part of the Buu Arc.

1. The Falling action of the Cell Arc just isn't all that great an ending to the story. I know a lot of people didn't like the DBZ ending, but looking past the fact that I loved it, it was better than ending the story of the DBZ universe with Trunks saving the future, the final episode doesn't even get to be about the time line we have followed the whole show. As for Episode 97(What I'm assuming is the Shenron wishes stuff) seemed to be a "middle-ending" and not "THE ending", because of where we are left off with all the characters. Toriyama seemed by that point to be committed to another story arc, so he didn't care too much about giving you some big ending. Too bad, we'll see what the next 4 episodes gives us in the way of closure.