Forgiveness or Not?

Ferocia Coutura

So, a little 7-year old boy was found decappitated early today with his body dumped in a garbage bag, his head not far away. This boy had mental and physical dissabilities and was wheel-chair bound, hated by most of his family. The primary suspect is his dad, who was knowned to hit the boy before this.

Now my question to all of you is: Should this man be "forgiven" for his actions, if he did it? Supposedly, we are supposed to forgive people for doing bad things, right?

Or maybe, should someone say screw forgiveness, and do unto him what he has done to the little boy?

Me, I say screw forgiveness, I'd kill his ass if I had the balls to do it. Its people like him that make me sick to my stomach.

No matter what, he's gonna go to jail, that's not the question. What I'm asking is if he should be forgiven for his actions, like the church says people should do.

I find the 'church' having no role in me forgiving someone or not, I mean I find the question confusing, If he did it, he should be punished.You don't forgive people like that , forgiveness has little to do with situations like this its a horrible murder.If it was something like a robbery or even assault then yeah maybe, but murder isn't knocking into me and saying sorry and me forgiving you,I don't believe in redemption after you've done something like that.

I find the 'church' having no role in me forgiving someone or not, I mean I find the question confusing, If he did it, he should be punished.

In a way I agree because this is more of the truth. However a devout religious individual will pull the "The victims of murder only suffer so much so that one day they may become closer to their deity." Etcetc.

Imho, the world has gotten to the point where people have begun to divide their thoughts about logic and the control of religious organizations and that is where the problem lies in society. In a non-religious society, I am sure people will go with the more obvious answer as to not giving forgiveness for the actions that this man has committed, but as long as there are "silly" loopholes in religious faiths, man can easily justify their actions and note that a "higher power" believes it was the right thing as well.

Me? I barely practice religion so I'd go with the most logical decision, no mercy.

This issue is a little more complex than mercy or no mercy. The answer really should be "both." It is the government's job to administer punishment, and to do that most effectively the citizens must relinquish there right to punish. Mob justice does not contribute to society, so it is the citizen's duty to stand aside and allow the government to do their job.

Now, as to how the government and citizenry should do that is a different story. In the USA, we try our criminals in a court made up of citizens, so citizens remain somewhat involved in the process. Outside of this process, however, I think it is best to forgive. It's not good for a person psychologically to hold on to hatred, and it's kind of pointless to be outraged over something you really have no control over. Certainly, we shouldn't condone these actions, but to harbor a grudge holds no purpose. As for the government's role, I'm personally against the death penalty in most cases. I hold to a belief that life is important, and that if we start adding conditions to that it becomes a slippery slope. I do, however, have an extreme bitterness towards pedophiles because of people I have known, and tend to want them dead (which, I admit, is completely inconsistent with my earlier conclusions). Considering the brutality of this particular murder, and that it was perpetrated against a child, I would not argue too passionately against the death penalty in this case.

Also, I find it kind of funny that the Christian church and religion is perceived as more merciful in this case, as most Evangelicals I know are actually devout about their belief in the death penalty, and most other mainstream religions hold similar beliefs (as far as I am aware).

I can be moved to forgive almost any person in time, HOWEVER, you can't always forgive their actions... you shouldn't not forgive the person , because that continued loathing is something you will carry in you and not a load he will have to carry on his shoulders. Forgiveness is not just for the person you are forgiving but also for the strength of your own spirit, there will come a time when he will have to pay for what he did, and it will be quite an expensive toll, but it's wrong for YOU to try to impose any further taxes on him !

i agree with DuLake about how its damaging to you're own self and body to hold grudges and unforgivenes, yes some times you can't forget what he or she did, but no one said you had to and yes just because you forgive it doesn't mean you are making little of what happened to you or anyone all's for that matter. its a personal choice that we must all make in some point or another.

personally I think unforgiveness, and grudges damages our body physically and mentally and is one way we get sick or get cancer or something or at least more vulnerable to getting sick, but that's only what I believe.

i agree with DuLake about how its damaging to you're own self and body to hold grudges and unforgivenes, yes some times you can't forget what he or she did, but no one said you had to and yes just because you forgive it doesn't mean you are making little of what happened to you or anyone all's for that matter. its a personal choice that we must all make in some point or another.

personally I think unforgiveness, and grudges damages our body physically and mentally and is one way we get sick or get cancer or something or at least more vulnerable to getting sick, but that's only what I believe.

There actually is strong evidence that negative emotions lower your immune system, so I think you're pretty accurate there. I also definitely agree that you're not making little by forgiving. Forgiveness isn't a get out of jail free card, it's about refusing their influence. I liked a quote I heard at a church conference a while back "You may have taken my past, but you can't have my future." If we hold onto grudges, we're letting that person influence into our lives and forms who we are. Why would I allow someone evil to decide how I'm going to act?

People who do things like that are the ones that most cops really hope will pull a gun so they have an excuse to put a bullet in them. Me? I'd rather see them get convicted, and executed according to the law. After spending some quality "bonding" time with some of the other inmates.

As for forgiveness. That ain't up to me. If it were, I wouldn't forgive.

I wouldn't wish death upon him nor would I forgive him. I'd like him to suffer as long as possible for the rest of his life until his spirit and mind are broken. And his body adapts to all sorts of pain before death took its hold on his now useless existance. However, this is just how I feel. It doesn't mean I'm in the right but I can't see myself ever having a change of heart towards that sort of person.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, apparently, the man did it to get back at his girlfriend/ the son's mother. She was leaving him, so he killed the kid and waited for her to get home and find him. Only thing is, a nieghbor found the kid instead. Thank goodness the mothers last image of her child wasn't him dismembered like that. BTW, this is happening in the town I live in.