Your thoughts on the new PSP Vita?

nemarious

Are you interested in the newly announced PSP Vita? Would you buy one?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the newly announced PSP Vita? Would you buy one?

• Yes, this announcement/console really interest me. I would buy one now, no matter the price.
    • I'm somewhat interested in the announcement/console but will wait for more information before deciding what to do.
    • My feelings towards to announcement/console or neither positive or negative.
    • I'm not that bothered about the announcement/console. It's likely that I will buy one at some point if a feature is changed/added.
    • I couldn't care less about this. I will not be buying one no matter what.

My biggest gripe with the PSP was always Sony's own - seeming - lack of support for their own system. Sure, at first it had a few games from them to kick start it but after that all we got was spin-offs and ports.

While Golden Abyss looks great, I can't help but feel like the opening line-up for the Vita is appallingly weak.

As for the launch line-up, they are always pretty shocking. The trouble with them is that no developers want to spend their resources on a product if the product is going to bomb on release.

I must say, the chances of me buying one are admittedly high as my 3DS has seen little playtime so far with a lack of games I find interesting. Indeed, the whole of the UK at the minute seems more interested in Zumba Fitness ffs.

Having said all that, my psp remains in a box. I've only ever had 4 games for it. I think that shows the problem. There are some games I would buy for it now but my interest had fallen away a long time before now.

My biggest doubt about the PS Vita is that Sony don't seem to have changed strategy, its still all about having console graphics on a portable. Which, in itself, is of course fine, but I think Nintendo will always have the edge on them for the reason that they support their consoles. This, presumably, comes down to them always being a software maker. They were a software maker long before they revitalized the industry in the mid 80s and moved into hardware. Converse to this Sony and Microsoft, have the fingers in so many other pies that it doesn't matter that their gaming arm can make hundred of millions of dollars of loss because they can subsidise it with profit from other areas.

This ignores the argument for Nintendo being stuck in their way because of the above but that's for a different thread. Can't believe I typed all that on my phone, and with no typos :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the vita looks good from a technology point of view. it does a lot and the price is very reasonable considering what most believed it would cost.

however how the thing actually does is dependant on how they manage to distribute the games, other than digital downloads they haven't said much about how you'll be buying games and that seems a little odd to me. particularly when the majority of home consoles aren't even connected to the internet let alone hand helds.

the vita looks good from a technology point of view. it does a lot and the price is very reasonable considering what most believed it would cost.

however how the thing actually does is dependant on how they manage to distribute the games, other than digital downloads they haven't said much about how you'll be buying games and that seems a little odd to me. particularly when the majority of home consoles aren't even connected to the internet let alone hand helds.

Most (all?) have access to some form of Wi-Fi at the least. The PSP-Go had Wi-Fi 802.11b access so I'd assume the PS Vita would have at least that. As far as I'm aware, I may be wrong, but a 3G connection requires a sim card so I wouldn't have thought you'd get that without having to pay for a contracted sim like iPads and other such devices.

• 2 weeks later...

PSVita release date in US and UK pushed back to 2012.

It doesn't really have a release date anyway but Japan seem likely to be the only country to get the device before the end of the year with Sony president Kaz Hirai himself saying that Japan should expect the device "before the end of the year" and the rest of us "early next year".

He also said the following:

'We packed so much into the device and made it very affordable, there is no need to lower the price just because somebody else that happens to be in the video game business decided that they were going to lower their price.'

This was based on a question following the recent worldwide price cut of the 3DS and subsequent fall of Nintendo's share price.

Definitiely loving the two analog sticks, though I can't say I approve of the touch gaming, judging from the uncharted demo, it pretty much looked like cheating, the only reason i'll be getting a 3Ds first though, is the same reason I got a DS..for Golden Sun.

• 6 months later...
Looks very interesting but i'll wait for a price drop.

I feel exactly the same. I could use my sim card for 3G but it seems pretty dodgy of Sony to still be needing memory cards when they could easily have - at least - 64gb of storage inside the console. Even the 3DS has in-built storage now.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its a cool new addition to Sony's Line. Though it still has a few flaws. For one the price. Its way to much for my blood right now, and also for most people I would think. Also just like when the PS3 first came out there is next to no games developed. Thats something I've noticed Sony tends to jump the gun before the developers can catch up. Therefore leaving us in the middle waiting for games to come out. More then we're playing them.

I would really care less about Sony 'cause all they do is rage when a new Nintendo console comes out, for example:

when Nintendo DS came out, Sony responded by the PSP.

Move was Sony's response (and rage) at the Wii.

Lastly, Sony responds to Nintendo's 3DS unit with the PSVita.

Also, the system is a SCAM among many other things. You have to pay for Internet if a Vita game is purchased used. I'm skipping.

Sooner or later you will have to pay $20.00USD just to load the damn game.

considering I already have one I can tell you that its a big improvement from the psp in plenty of way's; the graphics are definitely better, it has 512 MB of ram, and it feels thinner and lighter than my old psp phat. But it makes it really hard to like Sony when they have hidden costs like the mem sticks that are required to play almost any game or let alone do anything with your PS Vita. And if you want to put files on the PS Vita you'd have to have a PlayStation network account, install content manager and be connected to the internet all at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I like my PS Vita but to have memory sticks that only work for that handheld and charge you up to $100 for them is bs. So far it takes about $300 to $400 dollars just to enjoy the Vita.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought one Monday along with some games. The two thumbsticks, the touchpad and the touch screen are really cool, they make it possible to have a lot of different gameplay in games. The motion sensor though, can be a little annoying when they are active, but you are not using them. For example, I was playing Gravity Rush and I was aiming with the right thumbstick, but I moved my psvita a little bit by sitting differently and I missed my shot. The touchpad also has a downside. I was aiming my sniper rifle in Uncharted and I didn't know that I could change the zoom with the rear touchpad, so I was kind of surprised when the zoom changed without having touched the touchscreen.

It is a good console, but I wish there were more games. I don't know if it was an offical Sony bundle or a promotion from my local gamestore, but the console was 249$ and came with two games. The games that came in the bundle were:

• Uncharted: Golden Abyss (The salesman told me it was the best of the series and it was a prequel. I still haven't play the other ones. (I don't own a PS3))
  • Little Deviants or Wipeout 2048 (I chose Wipeout. I thought it would be the game I wouldn't play, but it's kinda cool with it's superfastyouneedtobeajeditoplay racing and the dubstep soundtrack)

I also bought :

There is one big problem tough. I keep saying PSP instead of saying vita. So I found a new way to say it: psvita. Not P-S-Vita, but psvita, almost like pssvvita (wow it's hard to write a pronunciation. but you get it, right?)

Edited by Dude888