Smell your games!

RazorDan

Just read an article (below) that announces a new piece of gaming software which has the ability of allowing gamers to 'smell' their games!

'High definition visuals and 3D-enabled televisions mean that gaming has never looked more realistic. But there’s still something missing from the equation – what does the action you see on screen actually smell like?

The ‘ScentScape’ peripheral from the Scent Sciences Corporation could provide the answer. This unassuming device plugs into your PC or games console via USB and wafts layers of scents into the air as the action dictates, thus enhancing the sense of immersion and enriching your gamesplaying experience. So says the promotional blurb, anyway.

Aromas such as flowers, the ocean, smoke and pine forests are part of the basic 20 scent package, but there’s talk of media-specific refills too. Eagle-eyed readers may notice ‘World of Warcraft’ branding on the unit in the picture, however Scent Sciences is not announcing any specifics at this stage. There’s even a ‘volume’ switch too, so you can dial the strength of the whiff up or down to suit your mood.

This is smell-o-vision, by any other name, but we can sort of see it working within reasonable limits. After all, there are some things in games that we certainly don’t want to smell any time soon – the inside of ‘Halo’ hero Master Chief’s helmet (which he never takes off), sweaty FIFA footballers at the final whistle, the fetid pong of Dead Space zombies etc. We could go on, but it’s probably best that we don’t.

ScentScape is primed to launch in time for Christmas, priced $69.99 with refills at $24 each (UK prices still tbc). This won’t be a one-time solution to the previously non-existent problem of conveying in-game odours either. Scent Sciences is currently bursting with ideas for product development and plans to have a next-degeneration version of the device on the shelves within a year.

All things considered you’ll probably smell it coming..'

whiff1_image.jpg

WTF lol, this is very intriguing :D

Full article here

Eh? Not so sure I want to spell all the bad things but good scents might not be too bad. That's if I can smell them over my Febreeze and Scentsy air freshners. The price tag though is ridiculous to say the least. I wouldn't buy this for more than maybe $10 and the refills should be a few dollars at most.

On the bright side, at least we'll finally be able to tell what Sephiroth smells like and see if those candles Square were selling earlier or fake =P

Seems like it's only going to be environments that we smell. A big warcraft sell out because of the beautiful Northrend areas. Pine trees, snow, ashe, Water etc.

and heres me thinkin i was going to be able to smell the dying Covenant aliens as i fry them with a flamethrower...XD

LOL. I would so totally go back to Halo and other games like that if this technology were that advanced.

hahaha! Hmm now I'm curious what would a multi-player match in modern warfare smell like XD or a war torn town in battlefield bad company 2 ohh the possibilites are endless

*Stops at a corner & smells a fire* Sigh. Another Camper...

Haha, I think this is a funny piece of technology. I don't really see it as essential to gaming but when we get virtual gaming, I want to feel the blood of my enemies washing my skin~ Jokes aside, I honestly think this is kind of like almost an aesthetic kind of thing, you know? A toy the rich kid would have =( unfortunately my financial situation isn't that good and I agree with Koby; I probably won't pay more than $10 for it, and not even more than a few bucks for refills.