Ballard's rant

ballard

I need to let off some steam, so please forgive me for this thread. Before you start reading this I would like to warn everyone that this may contain a few Assassin's Creed 2 spoilers.

A few days ago I posted Fable 3 on craigslist in hopes of receiving either $35 or a game that I actually wanted. Yesterday I got offered Asssassin's Creed 2... I was more than happy to accept the game. I drove down to his house and talked to him for a few minutes. He seemed like a nice enough guy to me at the time and we swapped games. I checked the disc and from the way the light shined onto it, it looked to be in perfect unscratched condition. I drove home and checked the disc again. Scratches were all over it. I didn't think much of it and put the game in my xbox and began to install it to the hard drive.

It paused for a moment at 44%, and the sound of the disc drive slowing down to a complete halt as an error message came up telling me that it was unable to read the disc. Still in a pretty good mood I simply played the game directly from the disc itself. Other than a few audio glitches here and there from the scratches the game was working great. I played for several hours thinking that it would be fine, and I was ok with the thought that I couldn't hear some of the talking at the cutscenes.

Now I'm to the point in the game where Ezio's mother and sister are staying at the uncles villa. I took the path that leads outside of the villa to a city. It splits off into two paths with a huge field of grass in the middle. I can't interact with anything in this area or the game will crash and my xbox will tell me that it is unable to read the disc. I messed around in this area for awhile in hopes that I could leave it. No matter which direction I take I am not able to leave. I can't kill anyone... I can't get on any of the horses at this stable looking place between the fork in the road. However, the AI can still interact with me and there are these 3 guards that keep pushing me...

I'm generally a nice guy all the time and I like to avoid confrontation, but there are certain times in life where you have to be an ass to people that try to take advantage of nice people. I start off by texting the guy nicely stating that the game will not work passed this point in the game, and it will not install onto my hard drive. He replies "I'm really sorry, but I can't do anything about it. It worked fine when I had it."... So I tell him that I want to trade back for my game. He ignored me for awhile. I end up calling him. We talked for awhile and he tried to avoid the subject when I tried to mention it. I finally get him to talk about it. He told me that he traded it in at Gamestop and that he is unable to give it back to me.

At this point I'm really pissed... I feel like driving down there... D:<...

Edit:

I ended up going down to the the guys house with my brother. After a lot of drama... it turns out he lied to me and still had the game. When my brother and I knocked on the door the guy looked like he was scared to death. I ended up getting my game back ^_^.

I just want to add that everything was handled in a peaceful manner.

I did business on Craigslist once last year around Spring. Bought 7 sets of Inuyasha. They looked kind of suspicious so I asked them about it and they said it was some original tv sets that was released before the final box sets. Like an idiot I went ahead and paid for it since I already drove an hour away to meet them. Once I got home I did some searching on the internet and found the same sets on an Anime DVD sale site.. which sales bootleg copies. So I spent $60 and got 7 bootleg sets with have episodes 1-127 on them. I also got the 4 movies which were real though.

To get the movies would have only cost me $20 + shipping on Amazon though.. so honestly I was only out about $40. I still have the bootlegs but I don't want them. I'll eventually buy the real sets when I can afford to do so.

I called them and they never answered their phone. I emailed them and they never emailed back.. so yeah. I haven't done any buying on Craigslist since. Of course this was partly my fault for actually buying them.. but even if I hadn't.. I'd have been out the gas for a 2 hour drive (1 hour each way) to get to Dallas and back.

i dont have a clue what craigslist is (though after reading the posts i can imagine) but what i know is that you did the right thing, bothered to solve the problem rather than leaving it be, as a result you both got your game back and got some useful experience to help you in future. Double gain. Plus respect for knowing exactly when to cross the niceguy-ass line.

i dont have a clue what craigslist is

http://craigslist.org

Pretty much an online garage sale. You list what you have, people contact you and then you setup a place to meet and exchange or buy the item.

Some funny or stupid things have happened where people tried selling drugs, selling themselves, selling their babies. Someone was even called the Craigslist killer because he was meeting up with people and killing them in some state I forgot.. I think North Carolina?

I am pretty much am buddies with the owner of a small shop that trades in games, movies, etc. If I have a request I usually go through him, and he can usually shake loose a copy if there are any legit versions within system he uses.

I've seen the results of the online listings be sour far to often to have any desire to use them. Far too many people trying to make a fast buck at somebody's expense.