The Promised Neverland (Yakusoku no Neverland)

Koby

The Promised Neverland
Yakusoku no Neverland
2BfUBXQ.jpg
AniDB | MAL

Synopsis: Emma, Norman and Ray are the brightest kids at the Grace Field House orphanage. And under the care of the woman they refer to as "Mom," all the kids have enjoyed a comfortable life. Good food, clean clothes and the perfect environment to learn - what more could an orphan ask for? One day, though, Emma and Norman uncover the dark truth of the outside world they are forbidden from seeing.

3 hours ago, EmptyBasket said:

Pretty decent so far but never read the manga. Was anything cut out?

Oh, definitely. Episode 1 was mostly left untouched but the other two episodes are very crammed.

The manga has a lot of mind games and internal thoughts, kind of like Death Note. The anime completely skips over this aspect of the story and has everyone talk about their plans out loud, or they simply skip over it entirely and hope that anime-only folks will catch on.

This is most notable in episode 3. Krone seems to be portrayed as some kind of crazy lunatic (talking to a doll, really now?) whereas in the manga she is very serious and constantly scheming things in her head. Same goes for Mom and the main characters.

I binge-read the manga in several days after finishing episode 1 of the anime, as I really enjoyed the premise. While the anime has some good moments, I would definitely recommend anyone who is interested in the show to read the manga first.

Edited by Scyrous

I've only seen episode one of the anime thus far, but it was pretty much by the numbers what I expected would happen; no surprises there. In any case I enjoyed it, though it would have definitely been something if it shook the typical formula up and surprised me by having something new. I'm definitely in for watching the rest of this season, and while I haven't read the manga, as usual people are saying this anime adaptation was fumbled. Such a shame that anime has to be forced to fit into cours rather than given the time to actually flesh out the material it's adapting without the need of cutting out some of the best things about it.

1 hour ago, Scyrous said:

The manga has a lot of mind games and internal thoughts, kind of like Death Note. The anime completely skips over this aspect of the story and has everyone talk about their plans out loud, or they simply skip over it entirely and hope that anime-only folks will catch on.

This part bugged me to to end. They spent a good amount of time establishing that the 3 main characters are super smart and then they pulled this nonsense. Seriously what was the director thinking? The show is still very intriguing tho and i'm enjoying it so far. hopefully they don't pull a tokyo ghoul and butcher the entire thing in the future.

Edited by CyborgIcarus29

Finally caught up now.

Man, Sister Krone always has the creepiest facial expressions.

So guys that haven't read the manga to the point of already knowing, any guesses as to who might be the

Spoiler

spy that is reporting to Mama actually is?

Just curious who you predict might be it.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, Scyrous said:

Oh, definitely. Episode 1 was mostly left untouched but the other two episodes are very crammed.

This is most notable in episode 3. Krone seems to be portrayed as some kind of crazy lunatic (talking to a doll, really now?) whereas in the manga she is very serious and constantly scheming things in her head. Same goes for Mom and the main characters.

I binge-read the manga in several days after finishing episode 1 of the anime, as I really enjoyed the premise. While the anime has some good moments, I would definitely recommend anyone who is interested in the show to read the manga first.

I agree completely. Actually I think they skipped some part in 2nd episode itself when norman says this is a farm to ray and doesn't get surprised, in anime they gave some ridiculous logic of saying "trust" but in manga ray actually suspect it before by seeing the windows having grill and other stuff. Which I felt it was important to keep.

I feel same way as sister krone. Tag part was most interested part in manga but in anime I didn't get that punch.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:52 PM, Koby said:

Finally caught up now.

Man, Sister Krone always has the creepiest facial expressions.

So guys that haven't read the manga to the point of already knowing, any guesses as to who might be the

Reveal hidden contents

spy that is reporting to Mama actually is?

Just curious who you predict might be it.

What is your guess?

@Koby watched last episode? 

• 2 weeks later...

Was actually surprised at the double agent aspect, and their thought process for continuing to trust the person and move ahead with their plans as-is though I should have probably expected something of the sort.

My question is how did that person learn of what was going on in the first place? Either I missed them explaining that or they just forgot to explain it. So I'm very curious as to how they discovered it to set their entire plan into motion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koby said:

Was actually surprised at the double agent aspect, and their thought process for continuing to trust the person and move ahead with their plans as-is though I should have probably expected something of the sort.

My question is how did that person learn of what was going on in the first place? Either I missed them explaining that or they just forgot to explain it. So I'm very curious as to how they discovered it to set their entire plan into motion.

It's explained in the manga... I'm really not sure if they will touch upon it in a future episode.

While I'm tagging this as a spoiler, it's pretty minor IMO and doesn't affect the rest of the story.

Spoiler

Ray, unlike the other orphans, didn't experience childhood amnesia. This contributed greatly to his discovery about the truth of the orphanage.

It is likely that he has hypermnesia - abnormally sharp or vivid recall. Essentially, he claims he remembers everything, even from back when he was just a few days old.

Honestly, I think it's a pretty half-assed explanation. :P

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scyrous said:

It's explained in the manga... I'm really not sure if they will touch upon it in a future episode.

While I'm tagging this as a spoiler, it's pretty minor IMO and doesn't affect the rest of the story.

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, I think it's a pretty half-assed explanation. :P

Well I certainly wouldn't have considered that the possibility. I'm not even sure I've ever met anyone who legit had that in such a way.

I was thinking more along the lines that at some point he stumbled across something or over-heard something, not that.

I guess it works, but I think it slightly cheapens it. I get everyone has some special brain power and whatnot which makes them "high caliber", but I'd kind of like to see at least one dumb character tbh lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duckgoose said:

I never gave thought to watching this anime, thinking it would be a kiddie show. Is this a kid's show or an anime starring kids?

It's anime starring kids but it's much more. All the kids are kept in a closed house and and are raised for some specific reason (No spoiler introduced). When they learn about it they decide to escape it but what awaits them outside find out by watching it.

It is definitely not a kiddie show, infact it is more like death note playing mind games. Watch two episodes and decide by yourself. I assure you, this will blow your mind.

Edited by gskumar

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, atlasxof said:

Definitely one of my favourites this season, sadly there's no news yet for a second season or movie iirc. I highly recommend to go check the manga is great, pretty brutal though. 

I haven't read the manga, but I'm curious about how much material is out past where the anime scenes likely to be ending at this season.

Can usually semi-judge when a potential second season will happen based on that knowledge.

46 minutes ago, Koby said:

I haven't read the manga, but I'm curious about how much material is out past where the anime scenes likely to be ending at this season.

Can usually semi-judge when a potential second season will happen based on that knowledge.

Well, there's available two complete arcs now, and more two on going. (Not counting the introduction one)

So, It's about 100+ chapters officially. This season is just the Jailbreak arc, so about 37 chapters, it gets better after that btw. I think there's enough content for movies though.