Crunchyroll Announces Streaming Plans and English Dub Cast for The Rising of the Shield Hero Anime

Krieg

4dff7c455804d7062036ca9aeb011ebc15451961

Today, Crunchyroll unveiled the English cast of The Rising of the Shield Hero; Crunchyroll’s first simultaneously launched dub title.

Both the subtitled and dubbed episodes will premiere on Crunchyroll on January 9, with new episodes airing every Wednesday. 

The Rising of the Shield Hero is a Crunchyroll co-production with Kadokawa and is based on the hit light novel series written by Aneko Yusagi.

Synopsis

Iwatani Naofumi, a run-of-the-mill otaku, finds a book in the library that summons him to another world. He is tasked with joining the sword, spear, and bow as one of the Four Cardinal Heroes and fighting the Waves of Catastrophe as the Shield Hero. Excited by the prospect of a grand adventure, Naofumi sets off with his party.

However, merely a few days later, he is betrayed and loses all his money, dignity, and respect. Unable to trust anyone anymore, he employs a slave named Raphtalia and takes on the Waves and the world. But will he really find a way to overturn this desperate situation? 

The curtain rises on a fantasy adventure about the rise of a man who has lost it all.

English Dub Cast List

•   Naofumi Iwatani - Billy Kametz
  •   Raphtalia - Erica Mendez
  •   Filo - Brianna Knickerbocker
  •   Ren Amaki - Alan Lee
  •   Motoyasu Kitamura - Xander Mobus
  •   Itsuki Kawasumi - Erik Scott Kimerer

Edit 2/13

The Rising of the Shield Hero Dub Starts Today!

c112c3daf7f2404b2d7489bd3d69c66b15500814

The wait is over—starting in one hour, you can watch the official dub of The Rising of the Shield Hero!

Join Naofumi as he fights his way through a mysterious and unfriendly world, accompanied by Raphtalia and his magic shield (and the occasional chompy balloon). All five episodes that have currently aired will be coming out today, with future episodes available alongside the subtitled release!

We're also pleased to introduce our dub cast:

209c1575b886d38394010e7f5b5e95ad15500814

Starring as Naofumi Iwatani, the Shield Hero himself, is Billy Kametz. You may have heard Billy as Josuke in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable, or as Metal Lee in Boruto: Naruto Next Generations.

4dbb532fb7f3dfdc222dcba21b7fd73515500814

And playing Raphtalia is Erica Mendez! Erica can be heard as Megumin in KonoSuba - God's blessing on this wonderful world! and Ryuuko Matoi in Kill la Kill.

Going forward, new dubbed episodes will be released the same day as the subtitled simulcast—so you can get your Shield Hero fix whichever way you prefer! For today, we will be launching episodes 1-6 dubbed starting at 1pm PT, with new episodes coming out 15 minutes apart.

Edited by Krieg
Updated info
  • Like 4

Interesting that Crunchyroll picks up more dubs after the FUNimation departure. I was kind of worried it'd limit the amount of shows getting Simuldubbed as FUNimation wouldn't have access to dub Crunchyroll licenses. I wonder however what studio is dubbing Crunchyroll dubs now. The voice actors listed have appeared in many things including Aniplex titles, past FUNi-CR titles, and even some Netflix anime.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, thesimpson36 said:

I'm pretty excited about this show. Usually I wait for the dub version of the show before i decide if I will watch the dubs or subs. Didnt realize that CR is now doing dubs as well. Is this a recent phenomenon?

They've done dubs in the past, like Durarara!!x2, Gintama S3, etc... but I think they're going to start cranking more out now that they've split from the CR-FUNi partnership.

Recently Crunchyroll put out an English dub for KonoSuba season 1 too.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 1:44 AM, Koby said:

And... the dub has been indefinitely delayed before the first episode streamed and despite Crunchyroll saying they'd give an update soon, it's been nearly 3 weeks and we're still waiting to find out what's up.

AH, that explains things. For a moment I thought FUN$ would keep its English dub for its platform only. Remember hearing this last year, and found it nice of CR doing a dub at the same time as the subbed ver. 

Hopefully they'll update us with more info... eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Added new info about the dub.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, gskumar said:

Any news on this? It has been one month after their notice. I am having 2nd thought that Is this even going to come or not?

Going forward, new dubbed episodes will be released the same day as the subtitled simulcast—so you can get your Shield Hero fix whichever way you prefer! For today, we will be launching episodes 1-6 dubbed starting at 1pm PT, with new episodes coming out 15 minutes apart.

Just now, Krieg said:

Added new info about the dub.

Awesome news!