‘The Big Bang Theory’ To End Run After 12 Seasons

Koby

tVcxxzR.jpgThis is the end. Despite recent remarks by CBS that the network was exploring  a 13th season of The Big Bang Theory, the network, producing studio Warner Bros. TV and executive producer Chuck Lorre just announced that the top-rated comedy series will end its run in May 2019 with its upcoming 12th season. The Big Bang Theory still will rank as the longest-running multi-camera series in television history, spanning 12 seasons and a record-breaking 279 episodes.

“We are forever grateful to our fans for their support of The Big Bang Theory during the past twelve seasons. We, along with the cast, writers and crew, are extremely appreciative of the show’s success and aim to deliver a final season, and series finale, that will bring The Big Bang Theory to an epic creative close,” WBTV, CBS and Chuck Lorre Productions said in a joint statement.

The final season of The Big Bang Theory will debut Monday, September 24 on CBS before moving to its regular time period on Thursday, September 27.

The series, which debuted in 2007 and airs in syndication around the world, has received 52 Emmy nominations and 10 wins to date (though has never won for Outstanding Comedy Series), and 7 Golden Globe nominations.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

I will miss the show (whether it's vanilla or not) because it will be a touchstone of my childhood.

It had some weak seasons, but the most recent season seemed to be an improvement.

It turns out sheldon killed off the series.  Everyone else was willing to sign on for two more seasons.  I can understand sheldon being tired, he is very old.  If he did two extra seasons, he would be 48!!  That is incredibly old any way you slice it.  I can't even relate to that sort of old, it is older than my parents.

So, I guess it is okay that it is ending.  I don't want a old person hurting himself just so the show can keep going, even if he would make an extra 50 million to cushion the blow.

I don't like young sheldon, it is horribly campy with cheap sets and low production values.  I don't like any sitcoms now.  Hopefully animation will continue to be interesting.  And I am reading more books.

Finally! God, I loved this show when it first started, but then it peaked so hard when they ran out of shit to drive the plot

Seriously, I remember the earlier seasons when there were jokes and gags like Leonard sitting in the giant-ass time machine while everyone around him pretended to be going forward in time, or when they all accidentally dressed up as The Flash for Halloween and Raj suggested they all walk behind each other in a single-file line pretending to be one really fast man. A few months ago, an episode from the current season was airing while I was eating dinner with my family; Sheldon said "fool me n times, shame on you. Fool me n+1 times, shame on me."

I really watched this show way longer than I actually needed to; I guess I was too committed to seeing what would happen next that the damn laugh track conditioned me on when to laugh on cue like a Pavlovian dog. I'm glad this show can be put to rest. CBS needs to step up their game to make sitcoms that do not rely on canned laughter and take bigger risks instead of maintaining their politically-biased and "family-friendly" status quo; seriously, The Late Show is doing to Stephen Colbert like what Full House once did to Bob Saget.

16 hours ago, Nintenerd said:

The Late Show is doing to Stephen Colbert like what Full House once did to Bob Saget.

You got that right. Colbert's old show had biting satire and great interviews with non-famous academics.

I can't watch his new show for 5 seconds.  The drawn-out interviews with "top celebrities" are mind-numbingly tedious.  I'm surprised Colbert hasn't gone insane doing this sort of fluff.

Legacy network "TV" is becoming increasingly irrelevant anyway.  People just 5 years younger than me have no idea what it even is.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like some shows as time goes on have momentum or writing issues. Some networks have focused related issues-deciding if they want to have more comedy,sports, drama, action etc over a diverse genre of shows. Additionally on demand and streaming can affect network content focus and thus cause certain shows to never adapt while others try to adapt to much to current trends. In my opinion I have seen some shows become trapped in trying to be everything to everyone or appeal to every single demographic. I think all shows have to end at some point, the challenge is when, on what terms, and how.

In my opinion that's why there are so many reboots, 15 season long issues, shows with a risky premise -but no long term plan, and too much interference from all aspects of the creative process

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Aldrin said:

as a fan I really think it's the right time to finished.

As someone who once was a huge fan of the show, I think they right time to have ended it sailed past us several seasons ago when they ran out of ideas, stopped being funny, and forgot why people watched the show. The dynamic drastically changed when they gave everyone on the show girlfriends/wifes instead of being a bunch of desperate geeks in search of love it seemed they'd never obtain and stopped referenced popular geek-culture. I mean the latest seasons references "Momma Mia!" for crying out loud.

• Like 2