What display do you use to watch anime?

qazwsx1

In descending order of preference:

1. 28" 4K Samsung monitor (TN, 2015)

2. 17" 1920x1200 MacBook Pro display (TN, glossy, 2011)

3. 5.8" 2960x1440 Samsung Galaxy S8 (AMOLED, 2017)

4. Nintendo 3DS upper display (320x240, IPS, I actually considered using this to watch anime a while back)

After tweaking the settings for the first two in the list, the colors look pretty good. The S8 display looks a lot better to me, but I don't use it as much because I'm concerned about burn-in. Since many videos don't use the 18.5:9 aspect ratio, there can be black bars on the left and right sides of the screen (unless you zoom in to crop the video).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I watch mostly on a Panasonic Viesa plasma 55" TV, NAD T777 audio visual amp and Dynaudio speakers via HDMI out on my Nvidia 980Ti thus I can get full hi-fidelity 5.1 output if the show has surround sound. Oh, just listening to music sounds awesome too. A few times I will cheap out and watch on my computer's Samsung SyncMaster SA850 27" monitor with Audio Engine A5 stereo computer speakers connected to my ASUS STIX sound card.

IMHO watching on small displays and tinny speakers just ruins it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 6:20 AM, qazwsx1 said:

I am curious to know what display (phone, TV, monitor) you use to watch anime as well as your general thoughts as to your experience, especially for those with computer monitors, as well as any future upgrades you are planning. If possible include the exact model numbers.

To start off, I use:

1. Samsung Galaxy S4 (AMOLED) 2014

Mostly use, enjoy watching, although sometimes its a bit over saturated.

2. Dell Inspiron N5050 (low quality TN) 2013

I try to avoid.

3. Samsung Syncmaster 2033SW (TN LED) (possible upgrade to Dell U2414H? IPS) Not great display especially with 1600x900p resolution. Hoping to upgrade to u2414h as a monitor/tv replacement.

3. Sony Bravia KDL-32V5500 (High quality LED) 2009ish (possible upgrade to Dell U2414H? IPS)

Hardly use, mostly for ps3 and anime bluray movies. Would like to get rid it and try combining with u2414h, as a pc gaming/console gaming/video watching display, though not many reviews on how anime looks on it.

I use an LG 720p HD TV from 2009 which i don't know the model of but i think it's 42' inches and i use a "kind of audiophile" sound system consisting of quadraphonic audio (4 speakers) and a Vintage pioneer equalizer model CR-333, a Pioneer stereo amplifier Model SA-508 and Pioneer SE-30 Headphones, Also 98% of my music library is in FLAC and i have a lot of anime 

• 2 months later...

I have a myriad of laptops with subpar screens.  Mostly 1366X768 or 1600X1200.  I also use a Google Pixel at times as well as a 10 Fire Tablet.  Lastly, I use a 40 inch LG 1080p 120hz with Plex.  Recently I adjusted the color preferences on my screen to vivid and it has made things more enjoyable.  I may use custom settings in the future but for now things are fine. One thing I wish I could get better support for though is the normalization of audio.  Windows and Plex normalization is basically worthless.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...