Open mindness.

Azrael

Hmm since I r is bored... Are we the kids of this new world becoming to open minded to things? Should we let the old ways die? I am semi minded person there are a few things that I am open minded ( one thing would be gay people marrying.) But others I'm close minded on. ( 1 on 1 relationship, and so on.) But what is getting at me is... will people who still believe in the old way die out, while the people who become open minded start to lose them self?

I believe some of the old minded ways should die out.

many of the worlds problems have all stemmed from those views such as racism and other negative social segregations. Though the one you mentioned about 1 on 1 relationships came from our Christian born government and has embedded that in our minds that it is wrong. I personally hope that it will stay, 1 on 1 HELPS prevent problems like jealousy and who gets what in case of divorce not only that but I'm a sucker for 1 on 1 romance

Well from what i learned from going to school, i have concluded kids of this new world are Really closed minded (Heard kids talking about gay marriage, and all of them basically said "EEWWWW FUCK THAT, MAN GAYZ GET NU RIGHTZ AND I GET DEM ALL CUZ I BE SUPERIOR TO DEM, THEY AIN'T HUMANS DURRRHURR")

Now i am not one of those kids, I am open minded to alot of things (Gay marriage, abortion, politics etc) but some things, Like OP (Original Poster for those who don't know) i am also closed minded on some things (1 on 1 Relationships and Monogamy for example). And i think we should teach them some Tolerance for one another. (They seriously cant respect eachother in my school)

PS. Those kids i talked about, are in high school (i know, /sigh)

PSS. TL;DR Some of the Old ways need to die out and the New Alternatives to those need to come alive.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Society changes and it evolves just like any of us. We learn new things and ways of thinking so the shift from one generation to another will always see the previous as "close-minded" or "out of touch" with society.

Open-mindedness doesn't mean jack to me because so many people claim to be open-minded, but in reality just hate the old way of thinking. Open-mindedness should mean tolerance of all points of view, not acceptance. You can allow something to exist even if you personally don't like it yourself.

For example: I do not like the idea of polygamous relationships, but I know a few friends who engage in them. Do I like the idea of such a relationship for me and my girlfriend? No, but I respect that they are different people with different feelings towards it.

depends on what you mean by the old way

if you mean in respect to religious ideas and moral ideas I believe that the "old way" if by this you also mean christianity, I believe it is the only way and will not die out

as for open mindedness in this respect I believe it is right to be civil and respect people's beliefs (for example I can't force my principles on someone who doesn't even believe my religion). But in the same vein, I am also trying to sway them to my view because that's one thing that my principles demand of me. My beef is the people that say there are many ways up the same mountain, because the component religions that they're trying to meld together don't even believe in that. That and you must be very arrogant because it is implied that you have a bird's eye view and can see that all the paths lead to the same place. If there were an easier path you would be the one to help the one struggling up a sheer cliff, right? If by open mindedness you mean respecting one another I believe that it will never really exist because of the fallen estate of man. Man is definately not perfect. There will always be those people misrepresenting religion by holding up signs saying God hates fags. and there will always be those Godless people like Hitler trying to kill of Jews. No one is exempt from this, religious or not. As long as man is imperfect close mindedness will always exist

• 2 months later...

Depends on what you mean by open mindedness. I agree with PseudoSage. I personaly believe that there is no one right way and that I have no right to try and convince you that some other way is wrong. I think that a person should e allowed to live as he or she sees fit, as long as the way that person lives does not directly interfere with my right to live the way I see fit(i.e. stealing, raping or murdering someone interferes with that persons right to live as they see fit). If one is talking about treating each other with respect (this is an old way) I think that should stick around and will stick around for a very long time.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I wouldn't say I'm open minded at all. Sure I say let gays should get married and all that stuff, but I don't think that's open minded. That's just having a different opinion on the matter. If I was open minded then I would accept the other sides view, but disagree with it. I don't accept the other sides view and think they need to take the sticks out of their asses and and learn to accept people for who they want to be. I don't believe people should have an opinion on the matter. They should suck it up and accept what's right. Which is people having their rights and being happy.

So no, I'm a close minded person. ACCEPT MY OPINION YOURS IS WRONG!!