tablets were ment for anime hands down

gotsanimefever

I rarely run into people that watch anime on tablets. I would say that I have done a considerable amount of research on the matter, as I have run tests and experiments on my own tablets to optimize my enjoyment in watching anime. I currently own two Samsung Galaxy Tab 3s, which run on two cores, and the 4-core Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5, as well as the Samsung Galaxy View (not portable). I have also ordered a Sony Xperia Z4, which is due to arrive in a week. That tablet is, as far as I am concerned, the most powerful tablet ever existed, running on a whopping 8-core CPU. 

So, to start off: 2-core tablets can run 720p videos with no lag. It's a hit or miss for 1080p videos since the codec determines whether or not they can run smoothly. 1080p videos with MPEG-4 codec can run smoothly as long as they are played on MX Player with H/W+ decoder.

Next, onto the 4-core tablets: The Galaxy View runs on any video without lagging, though its smaller and portable counterpart, the Tab 10.5, needs to be overclocked in order to run 1080p videos without lagging.

Lastly, the 8-core Sony Xperia Z4 is without a doubt the most powerful tablet out of all the above. I've briefly tested its capabilities by attempting to use it to run an AVC 1080p video. Runs smoothly, 100%. No overclocking required. I can't wait until it arrives so that I could root it to grant NTFS permissions.

Edited by Inverti

My 16:10 2560x1600 res Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" with the Snapdrqgon 800 handls every format I toss at in in 1080p and under. Might not handle HEVC and 4k to well but my laptop using an i7 7700hq can handle that if I even had any 4k or hevc content t begin with. Tablet is perfect if I want to read something compared to trying to read a book on my large 15.6" laptop. Also works well if I don't have much room and want to watch a quick video or 2. The tablet also lasts much longer than the laptop as well if I need to conserve battery life on the laptop. So for me Tablets have a place and 16:10 is the best resolution for a media device I have personally run into as it works quite well for most media formats whither it be 4:3 or 16:9 or something in between. Even books are decent in 16:9 since you normally get both wider and taller resolutions compared to 16:9 and 4:3 format so more words fit on screen then either at the same sharpness.

Tablets generally have higher portability than laptops (in the sense that you could actually watch stuff while walking), so that's why I really like watching anime with any of my tablets. That, and the fact that when I am on a computer, I perform computer-exclusive tasks such as downloading, torrenting, mixing, etc. Just can't concentrate on an anime if I try to watch it on a computer.  

On 9/12/2017 at 0:47 PM, Scyrous said:

The only advantage I can think of would be the 4:3 aspect ratio (though I don't know how common that is anymore, even for tablets). Perfect for (old) anime that was only ever released in that aspect ratio. But when it comes to modern 16:9 material, I'd rather use my laptop/TV.

I want the latest iPad for that reason :byebye:

11 hours ago, Pretinaverse said:

I don't even know why you would prefer to see your anime in a tablet, when you can use hdmi and see it in your TV B|

1) Tablets are portable. TVs aren't.

2) The TV screen is too big. The idea that bigger screens = superior is just merely personal preference, not a fact. Well, unless you're talking about a phone screen, which is really too small. Otherwise, a tablet screen that is 10.1 inches+ is just fine.

3) I can only concentrate and actually make progress if I watch anime on a tablet. When I am on a computer, I tend to work on organizing documents and the like. Also, this might come off as surprising, but I don't actually like using TVs. I've tried to watch anime on a computer or a TV, and it... just doesn't work with me. 

4) I can produce screencaps using a tablet faster than a computer or a TV. I'm a hobbyist screencapper, and I snap hundreds, or even thousands of pics while I watch anime. MX Player, which is the best video player on Android, could also remember the exact hour, minute and second I stopped in a video, so I don't have to manually scroll back myself if I had to pause.

And there you have it. We all have our preferences, and that's that. 

Edited by Inverti

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 3:07 AM, gotsanimefever said:

do you thinik tablet users that it was ment for anime its sweet watching spice and wolf on mine in mkv it supports alot of formats it even does the subtitl 

i think that the tablet is cool for that video format guilty watching anime on a tablet but wouldnt you if you found out its acceptable formats on yours. 

I think tablets were meant for reading comics and ebooks

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/13/2017 at 6:52 AM, olympustenay said:

I think tablets were meant for reading comics and ebooks

I agree that reading is especially well suited to tablets. Reading on a giant tv isn't something most people would do. The low cpu usage needed to display static images increases battery life compared to playing video. You can fit a huge amount of material on even a small memory card.

I don't personally own nor use a tablet. But I think far as mobile watching goes, a tablet would definitely be the way to go.

The only thing I'll personally be using one for is reading at some point. Plan to eventually buy a Kindle for reading Manga/Light Novels which I have recently got into buying.

One for having a separate/dedicated reading device and not draining my primary phone battery and two for the better of my eyes, use something made for reading. (Low Light, Blue Light Filter and all that good stuff)

17 minutes ago, RyanEsau said:

two for the better of my eyes, use something made for reading.

The e-ink displays are good for reading. Much easier on the eyes than a normal screen. But they have such a low refresh rate that they can't be used for general purpose tasks, so you pretty much need a device dedicated to just reading.

• Like 1

There was a time when my tablet saw a little more use, but never as a primary video player. Usually as a comic reader and music player, occasionally as a handheld gaming device. These days I basically only keep it around to play Flappy Bird and watch sitcoms while I'm at the gym. All of its previous functions can be better serviced by other machines. When I'm at home my PC is the center of my life, being where videos are watched and games are played. I also use it as my jukebox when I'm at home, and these days I even prefer to read comics on it... actually, I realized at some point most of the comics I read were web comics anyway, so why not? My monitor is large enough to display a comic page at full size and even give me an adequate display for splash pages (though I do miss laying on the couch and reading comics. Much more relaxing). The only thing I don't use my PC for is ebooks, for which I have a classic Kindle. When I'm out of the house, a smart phone makes a much more convenient music player than a tablet ever could. Same operating system, same apps, same capabilities, but if its in the pocket much more easily.

Tablets are redundant technology, and they were when they released. Their future will be in video games, but they were too slow on the draw and Nintendo beat them to the punch. Maybe a large surface area, light-weight tablet could corner the market on comics until color e-Ink is a more mature technology, but that's really just serving as a stop-gap.

• 2 months later...

Tablets are my favourite way of consuming media.

I have the Samsung 7 inch tab and its the best screen ratio for reading especially. I enjoy a lot of comics and manga on the go because of it. Its also great for watching stuff too.

Its too bad tablets are kind of a dying market nowadays. Been meaning to upgrade but I haven't seen anything in the same form factor that would satisfy me, I wish Nvidia would update their Shield Tablet and still keep it 8 inches, would definitely upgrade if that were to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 11:36 PM, K1LL3R_R0N1N said:

Tablets are my favourite way of consuming media.

I have the Samsung 7 inch tab and its the best screen ratio for reading especially. I enjoy a lot of comics and manga on the go because of it. Its also great for watching stuff too.

Its too bad tablets are kind of a dying market nowadays. Been meaning to upgrade but I haven't seen anything in the same form factor that would satisfy me, I wish Nvidia would update their Shield Tablet and still keep it 8 inches, would definitely upgrade if that were to happen.

I don't usually watch long stuff on a tablet (no movies) but I really like watching stuff like TV shows and anime on them. Also, they are my preferred way of reading digital comics. I hate that tablets are dying although 2-in-1s are a close subsititue. I have a Chromebook 2-in-1 that I like using to watch stuff on now too.

Also, I have the Shield Tablet (which remarkably still works after more than 3 years) and I would absolutely love an update of it with maybe the same chipset as in the Shield TV.

• Like 1