Black Clover

Dervell

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Biggest problem was the beginning that took 2-3 episodes (don't recall how many exactly) to adapt 1 chapter of the manga, it was REAAAALY filler heavy, animation is a bit iffy too. Besides that even if the anime drags on a little more than it should, the plot itself is always straight to the point and something interesting is always happening, different from many other shounens just that make it worth it to me.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:21 PM, luv_3 said:

I haven't been keeping up with it, how good is it as an adaptation?

First, the best thing about the adaptation is the fights.  The manga fights are difficult to follow, with an overly complex image of the 'battlefield' (where everyone is, their magic taking shape, and the physical layout of the surrounding area), followed by overly simple images like a close up of Asta as he lunges forward with his sword(s).  

Secondly, while I really can't wait to see some of the more interesting things which have only recently been published in the manga, I am enjoying a more fleshed out look at secondary characters.

Third, just as how GoT allegedly had to make sacrifices to pay for dragon screen time, the set piece action scenes (Yami vs. Licht was amazing) are some of the most stunning I have seen.  And in return some of the animation looks like a digital novel game.  

Lastly, the show follows more of the rules of a "good detective story".  Among these are that the audience has to be presented with enough facts to reasonably predict the information withheld.  The manga gives hints, allows the audience to guess, disproves, and then betrays its own logic with a previously unrepresented mechanic.  The show provides additional clues which allow the viewer to accommodate their theories and anticipate this mechanic.  I am unsure which presentation with prove to be the more effective and cathartic as the show hasn't progressed to this point.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a typical shonen anime through and through. I completed the 1st cour of the season and it is good. Dubs were really nice and action was also great. If someone likes Naruto then this is definitely gonna please them. Well this has some issues too, almost 5min of episode is wasted on preview of previous episode which is a huge drawback. In the middle of the season the animation becomes so horrible and looks as if  some kid has drawn them. But they improved it in last episodes and I would say it really is just worth watching entire series just for the fight in last episodes. I would give a good 8/10 rating on this.

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2017 at 8:43 PM, Beave said:

Episode 1 aired and was pretty good. 

BTW, I'll be Posting the Dub version of this anime.

I love this anime.  It seems to ramp up and gear down at a good pace.  Lots of questions to be answered about the origins of Asta and Yuno...I have my theories.

Yeah I thought for sure we were finally going to get some knowledge on why Asta has no magical power and link it back to some great lineage, similar to Naruto; only for the rug to be pulled out from under us with the statement that he wasn't who she thought he was and there was absolutely nothing special about him.

However I think the bird signifies something that we'll learn about at some point. The bird is fascinated with Asta, but then also showed interest in the Witches jewel. So something is likely up there. Besides these birds apparently only go where magic power is, so why is it so attracted to Asta? Perhaps one day he will actually be able to harness magic power.

• Like 1