Can someone please explain Ben 10 to me?

avalpsychicguy

It's my understanding that the new Ben 10 is total crap.  I'm assuming the original series is good, of course.  Everyone always loves the original.  But what about the other 3?  I'm wondering what the general consensus is on those.  As someone who's never seen an episode of Ben 10 in my life, I just want to know what I might be getting myself into.  Also, Omniverse's description on Wikipedia confuses me.  Is it a sequel series, an alternate universe, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Personally I think everything before Ben 10 Omniverse is pretty good. Ben 10 original being the best, I enjoyed the slightly more mature storytelling of Alien Force and Ultimate Alien

Omniverse is where the show shit the bed for me, Ben became much dumber, totally retconned character... Gwen and Kevin left. The show turned to a more comedic style which might have been good if it was actually funny.

Omniverse is a direct sequel to Ultimate Alien which itself was a continuation of Alien Force, which was a continuation of the original. Shame it retxons everything good about the series

Edited by EccentricOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5knuckleshuffle said:

what happened to make the series/franchise go south?  Was there creative changes or was it just whole sale changes on the entire team?

I remember watching the sporadic episode many years ago and enjoyed it.  WAnting to get into it again, but hearing stuff after a certain point is not very good is concerning

Based on what EccentricOne and DRX said, the first 3 series are the ones to watch.  I'll pass on the 4th series and the recent reboot, since those are the ones that are apparently bad.  Also, EccentricOne described what happened to the 4th series, if that helps you at all.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2017 at 11:26 PM, avalpsychicguy said:

It's my understanding that the new Ben 10 is total crap.  I'm assuming the original series is good, of course.  Everyone always loves the original.  But what about the other 3?  I'm wondering what the general consensus is on those.  As someone who's never seen an episode of Ben 10 in my life, I just want to know what I might be getting myself into.  Also, Omniverse's description on Wikipedia confuses me.  Is it a sequel series, an alternate universe, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

Terrible show that is popular with kids.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:02 AM, olympustenay said:

Terrible show that is popular with kids.

Not really sure which one you're referring to, unless you think they're all terrible.  In the latter case, I would have to disagree, because I'm most of the way through the original and loving it.  I can't wait to watch Alien Force and Ultimate Alien.

As a side note, just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who actually likes Omniverse?  Just wanna make sure I see all sides before I totally dismiss it.

• Like 1

Personally, I couldn't handle sitting through the original series if Ben were any more childish and bratty, Gwen is an improvement at least, I don't think the show is bad, but I just cannot relate to the main character, at all. (Even more so than the average kid centered TV show)

I do agree that the first three are the ones to watch, but PERSONALLY I find the second and third better simply because the main character is more bearable, if it were not for that, I'd massively prefer the first.

4 hours ago, avalpsychicguy said:

Not really sure which one you're referring to, unless you think they're all terrible.  In the latter case, I would have to disagree, because I'm most of the way through the original and loving it.  I can't wait to watch Alien Force and Ultimate Alien.

As a side note, just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who actually likes Omniverse?  Just wanna make sure I see all sides before I totally dismiss it.

Okay @avalpsychicguy I have to be totally honest with you, there are quite a few episodes of omniverse that truly were worth watching :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Ok, the orginal ben 10 holds up well.

Alien forces did it better, but had some hickups due to CN's melding to make him an a**hole. Ulitmate Alien has fewer times Ben was an a**hole, and was much better overall.

Omniverse was different, but due to CN's melding in the first few seasons ruined the show, but the later seasons were pretty good.

and the Reboot is trash, but I was offended by it, just unhappy.

And thats it!

Quick update on this, actually. Ever since this post, I've watched through Ben 10, Ben 10: Alien Force, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, and even Ben 10: Omniverse. The original series was my favorite, and while Omniverse certainly wasn't as good as Alien Force or Ultimate Alien, I DID like it. Its tone didn't feel too different to me, except for a handful of episodes. I doubt I will ever try the reboot, though.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

As a general rule, the "Classic" Ben 10 series' always start off strong and fizzle off. The first two seasons of Ben 10 are great, the first two seasons of Alien Force are great, the first two season of Ultimate Alien are decent. It's that third season that always does them in. They always take it too far, and the series is constantly resetting its own continuity so Ben isn't stupid powerful.

There's also a Secret Saturdays crossover in Omniverse, so that series is gold as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by PhoenixPress
  • Like 1