Recommend good comics

Bogamoga

it really does depend on what character you like, and what version of that character you like...

DC is going strong on its Rebirth series, so if you want to see anything current, i would go with that. Im a huge Superman fan, and I'm loving Superman Rebirth and Action Comics Rebirth.
what character do you like in DC?

Death of Superman is good, but it doesnt give really any background on the people that are involved

Superman wise:

for a good origin story, i would personally suggest John Byrne's 1986 mini-series and World of Krypton. for something more modern, you could go with Superman: Secret Origin (i love this series, and the art is beautiful)

i've heard Superman Birthright is pretty good, but i've never personally read it.

if you want more modern overall, the rebirth series is really good

Batman wise:

the Knightfall series- im not a big batman fan, but i love this series

the DC52 era, i guess

the rebirth stuff is pretty good

flash wise:
the 2006 Rebirth series and the current rebirth series... the 2006 Rebirth series delved into everything that brought flash into the modern era, and it's what the new show pulls from ofr its lore

wonder woman wise:

the 1986 reboot. the movie takes some of the concepts from this series

green Lantern wise:
brightest day, blackest night, but read Sinestro corps first... Sinestro sorps is kinda like the foundation of what happens in brightest day

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super Kal said:

flash wise:
the 2006 Rebirth series and the current rebirth series... the 2006 Rebirth series delved into everything that brought flash into the modern era, and it's what the new show pulls from ofr its lore

^^^^^^^^^^Yesssssssssssss this into road to flashpoint into flashpoint really excellent stuff

also the mid 2000s Plastic Man series by Kyle Baker, fucking hilarious.

Another great one is JLA: New Frontier, retelling of the silver age Justice League's origin (so the original Justice League, unless you consider the Justice Society of America from the 30s-40s to be the "original" Justice League, they were the Justice League before the Justice League).

14 minutes ago, Super Kal said:

green Lantern wise:
brightest day, blackest night, but read Sinestro corps first... Sinestro sorps is kinda like the foundation of what happens in brightest day

This is the Geoff Johns Green Lantern, only a part of I might add the whole thing's worth reading (I have all 3 omnibuses:boss:cost me a fucking arm and a leg tho) there's a spectre story from the 90s that leads into Geoff Johns's Green Lantern, it gives very important background on Hal Jordan's final days before Green Lantern: Rebirth (the very beginning of the Geoff Johns's Green Lantern) I think that's by Geoff Johns too. Geoff Johns's Justice Society of America is also phenomenal.

The 80s Teen Titans comics by Marv Wolfman are also excellent (The basis of the Teen Titans TV series)

Batman Under the Red Hood is also fucking great (you may find it worth it to read Batman: Second Chances and Batman: Death In The Family as a prelude to it so you have background on Jason Todd, there's also a prequel comic for Under the Red Hood called Under the Red Hood - The Lost Days. Personally I wasn't a huge fan of Second Chances. Death In The Family was decent I guess not as good as Under the Red Hood.). Batman Hush is also really fucking good, read this before Under the Red Hood.

Edited by DabDeity710

i never really could get into funny comics, to be honest... i tried getting into them, and i'll admit, some of them are pretty funny, but a lot of the stuff kinda grossed me out... i remember one panel where a guy was popping a zit in the mirror, and it kept popping, and he drowned in the pus :S... really grossed me out

33 minutes ago, Super Kal said:

i never really could get into funny comics, to be honest... i tried getting into them, and i'll admit, some of them are pretty funny, but a lot of the stuff kinda grossed me out... i remember one panel where a guy was popping a zit in the mirror, and it kept popping, and he drowned in the pus :S... really grossed me out

Yea a lot of them are extremely gross cuz gross out comics allow the artists to display just how good they are at drawing. The best displays of a cartoonists skill are gross out comics and sex comics (all the Spumco and Robert Crumb stuff comes to mind for me)

1 hour ago, DabDeity710 said:

Yea a lot of them are extremely gross cuz gross out comics allow the artists to display just how good they are at drawing. The best displays of a cartoonists skill are gross out comics and sex comics (all the Spumco and Robert Crumb stuff comes to mind for me)

Bruce Timm too, everyone always fangirls over his drawing skill and for good fucking reason. Like I said sex comics/gross out comics are by far the best display of an cartoonist's skill cuz it requires the most skill, Bruce Timm's best work is easily his ability to draw sexy cartoon girls:beauty::sexy_girl::beauty::sexy_girl:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend: "Y - The Last Man", "Saga", "Southern Bastards", "Watchmen" and "Kick-Ass"

There are also a couple of very short series I would recommend: "We Stand on Guard", "Joe - The Barbarian" and "300"

I have never gotten into the DC or Marvel universe, cus there are just way to many comics to even start reading. And im not really a fan of superhero comics or movies (Unless you go for the darker look at it like Watchmen or do a comical take on the genre like Kick-Ass). So I wont recommend any of those standard superhero comics. I have basically just been sticking to stand-alone series, where "Y - The Last Man" is my favorite so far.