The Nostalgia Train Hit Me

pixxelherz

16 minutes ago, SecondNine said:

The trailers, yeah I know thats how they get a lot of us.  Of course E3 , Ign and all of that doesn't help either sometimes as there are biases. I mean I am not healiyl in to following thme, but they are obviously noticbale on some fronts.

Anyhow what sort of game genres do you like to play and why?

I like unique titles, hidden gems, potential concept games( ie turning points fall of liberty ps3), or games I missed the first time around like Area 51 for the ps2.

I used to like Racing till NFS was still good. 

I really like JRPGs and

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning 

Fable The Lost Chapter

The Witcher Series

GTA 

Borderlands 

Nier Automata

Horizon Zero Dawn

NBA

Bloodborne 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nabull said:

I used to like Racing till NFS was still good. 

I really like JRPGs and

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning 

Fable The Lost Chapter

The Witcher Series

GTA 

Borderlands 

Nier Automata

Horizon Zero Dawn

NBA

Bloodborne 

can you recommend any modern or futuristic JRPGS ?

@SecondNinehow hard did No Man's Sky hit you? 

Did not play it so I have no personal right to say anything about it, but did play the rebooted Prey game and I felt it was too short.

I also ran into some issues with the original Watch Dogs as I felt it was vastly different from what it was billed as.

That's just me of course and if someone likes a certain type of game for whatever reason, then its their peroragative, as long as there are games of all types for all levels and intrests.

1 minute ago, SecondNine said:

Did not play it so I have no personal right to say anything about it, but did play the rebooted Prey game and I felt it was too short.

I also ran into some issues with the original Watch Dogs as I felt it was vastly different from what it was billed as.

That's just me of course and if someone likes a certain type of game for whatever reason, then its their peroragative, as long as there are games of all types for all levels and intrests.

I did not follow Watch Dogs hype so I liked playing since I was not expecting anything 

• Like 1

I did not follow Watch Dogs hype so I liked playing since I was not expecting anything 

What did you think about the recent Tom Clancy Games, if you play them and if you are interested in them?

Ghost Recon Wild Lands has an interesting premise for a game, but an open world game presents obviously technological issues, ie. lag and potential for half finished portions of the map ie.

The Division had another interesting premise a government agency designed to deal with a societal collapse and actively trying to reestablish civilization.

The new God of War looks interesting from the mythological standpoint, Greek mythology meets Norse mythology.

I also heard about a Hp Lovecraft Game, that's territory as far as I am aware of not usually a theme of a lot of games.

6 minutes ago, SecondNine said:

What did you think about the recent Tom Clancy Games, if you play them and if you are interested in them?

Ghost Recon Wild Lands has an interesting premise for a game, but an open world game presents obviously technological issues, ie. lag and potential for half finished portions of the map ie.

The Division had another interesting premise a government agency designed to deal with a societal collapse and actively trying to reestablish civilization.

The new God of War looks interesting from the mythological standpoint, Greek mythology meets Norse mythology.

I also heard about a Hp Lovecraft Game, that's territory as far as I am aware of not usually a theme of a lot of games.

Haven't played a lot of shooting games 

I am looking forward to the next God of War game I have played the third really enjoyed it

• Like 1

Haven't played a lot of shooting games 

I am looking forward to the next God of War game I have played the third really enjoyed it

I wonder if that's the last one or they will make a spin off with a character from the upcoming game some point in the future.

It also seems at lot of games try to emulate other popular franchises and that's where they lose a lot of their luster in my opinion. I mean some individuals point to what happened to franchises like Dead Space, Resistance, Final Fantasy,  and the abundance of Zombie related games to name a few.

Each has a place in their own right, but more genres or different settings can be key to draw people especially if its well produced and constructed. I remember that as part of the thrill of many games I  had played when I was younger.

5 minutes ago, SecondNine said:

I wonder if that's the last one or they will make a spin off with a character from the upcoming game some point in the future.

It also seems at lot of games try to emulate other popular franchises and that's where they lose a lot of their luster in my opinion. I mean some individuals point to what happened to franchises like Dead Space, Resistance, Final Fantasy,  and the abundance of Zombie related games to name a few.

Each has a place in their own right, but more genres or different settings can be key to draw people especially if its well produced and constructed. I remember that as part of the thrill of many games I  had played when I was younger.

Yep once there is a successful release in a genre other studios try to replicate it and make little changes to the core of the game. There is an abundance of zombie games but only a few are worth playing. The companies should take more time in making the game than releasing half ass unplayable stuff *UBISOFT*

I don't know why they aren't making any Prince of Persia games. 

If you own a PS4 I really recommend getting Horizon Zero Dawn great story, great characters, great combat. Waiting for the DLC and Sequel 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nabull said:

Yep once there is a successful release in a genre other studios try to replicate it and make little changes to the core of the game. There is an abundance of zombie games but only a few are worth playing. The companies should take more time in making the game than releasing half ass unplayable stuff *UBISOFT*

I don't know why they aren't making any Prince of Persia games. 

If you own a PS4 I really recommend getting Horizon Zero Dawn great story, great characters, great combat. Waiting for the DLC and Sequel 

A prince of Persia on the ps4 would be interesting,  its a setting not commonly utilized  and it would be amazing to see what a capable studio could do with the property.

I know the studio that did the Metro series is Eastern European and not triple AAA and if you read the stories about the hardships they had in making the game and the conditions they faced there(not ragging on Eastern Europe or signaling any country out here) it puts some things in to perspective. I mean they poured they heart and soul into the game and made a sequel that improved upon the first.  I mean they had no major publisher support for at least a year and a half.

7 minutes ago, SecondNine said:

A prince of Persia on the ps4 would be interesting,  its a setting not commonly utilized  and it would be amazing to see what a capable studio could do with the property.

I know the studio that did the Metro series is Eastern European and not triple AAA and if you read the stories about the hardships they had in making the game and the conditions they faced there(not ragging on Eastern Europe or signaling any country out here) it puts some things in to perspective. I mean they poured they heart and soul into the game and made a sequel that improved upon the first.  I mean they had no major publisher support for at least a year and a half.

The AAA guys aren't using their user base well enough, they should be the ones who should try making entirely new and different games since they already have the audience but it's the indie developers who actually venture into making new and different games 

• Like 1

The AAA guys aren't using their user base well enough, they should be the ones who should try making entirely new and different games since they already have the audience but it's the indie developers who actually venture into making new and different games 

You nailed it and of course they wont because at the end of the day its all about profits. Of course money has to be made, but logic would dictate or at least appear to dictate  a better quality product should earn a company more money and prestige. However some of the problem at least my opinion is the loss of casual gaming in some instances, games are no longer made for the sake of a challenge or a distraction from life , but rather as solely a product or a service, a problem  that has become worse as competition among studios and outlets like gaming stores  has become consolidated. The triple AAA's have become overly complacent and its style over substance.

The indies may be the only real challenge to the triple AAA and new technologies or services could help them in the long run.

A new property, engine, or gameplay style would most definitely be a chance of pace

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SecondNine said:

You nailed it and of course they wont because at the end of the day its all about profits. Of course money has to be made, but logic would dictate or at least appear to dictate  a better quality product should earn a company more money and prestige. However some of the problem at least my opinion is the loss of casual gaming in some instances, games are no longer made for the sake of a challenge or a distraction from life , but rather as solely a product or a service, a problem  that has become worse as competition among studios and outlets like gaming stores  has become consolidated. The triple AAA's have become overly complacent and its style over substance.

The indies may be the only real challenge to the triple AAA and new technologies or services could help them in the long run.

A new property, engine, or gameplay style would most definitely be a chance of pace

For example CD Projekt Red now has great reputation due to the way they handled The Witcher 3 I'm sure if they come up with something new everyone will buy it 

• Like 1

I agree and its studios, developers or producers of this caliber who will likely have to take the lead or carve their own niche. I mean Naughty Dog did that with Uncharted (despite now being a triple (I guess a notable exception),  CD Projekt Red with The Witcher like you mentioned,  and the developers of the metro series.

Virtual reality systems and gaming could provide an avenue for Indie and lesser known developers as they are more willing to take risks and embrace new technology.

I mean we have already seen many vr games starting to slowly come out and being distributed rather quickly. Of course there are adjustments to be made in regards to story and mechanics ie, but at least they are trying something different.

8 minutes ago, SecondNine said:

I agree and its studios, developers or producers of this caliber who will likely have to take the lead or carve their own niche. I mean Naughty Dog did that with Uncharted (despite now being a triple (I guess a notable exception),  CD Projekt Red with The Witcher like you mentioned,  and the developers of the metro series.

Virtual reality systems and gaming could provide an avenue for Indie and lesser known developers as they are more willing to take risks and embrace new technology.

I mean we have already seen many vr games starting to slowly come out and being distributed rather quickly. Of course there are adjustments to be made in regards to story and mechanics ie, but at least they are trying something different.

VR is not that big an avenue as of now the system is expensive I don't see myself buying it. Buy I have heard great things about Skyrim VR 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nabull said:

For example CD Projekt Red now has great reputation due to the way they handled The Witcher 3 I'm sure if they come up with something new everyone will buy it 

Side question and you do not have to answer it if you do not want to but do work or want to work in the game industry in any capacity

I am only asking because I work in the retail  sector but I go from place to place and set up displays for triple A's sometimes,  I am contracted by a third party and they have all these unrealistic goals and expectations about selling in and marketing their products?

1 minute ago, SecondNine said:

Side question and you do not have to answer it if you do not want to but do work or want to work in the game industry in any capacity

I am only asking because I work in the retail  sector but I go from place to place and set up displays for triple A's sometimes,  I am contracted by a third party and they have all these unrealistic goals and expectations about selling in and marketing their products?

What's the question here? 

9 hours ago, Nabull said:

VR is not that big an avenue as of now the system is expensive I don't see myself buying it. Buy I have heard great things about Skyrim VR 

Yeah cost is always the first obstacle and it will still probably be  a couple of years before we see a large scale adoption of these devices.

I mean the Ps2 was reavlitvly expensive when it first came out but it was relatively profitable for sony because of its hardware and gaming libraries/

9 hours ago, Nabull said:

What's the question here? 

Oh I am sorry Its just that you know a lot, I apologize if I am being unclear , would you want to work in the video game industry if the opportunity presented itself>

Just now, SecondNine said:

Oh I am sorry Its just that you know a lot, I apologize if I am being unclear , would you want to work in the video game industry if the opportunity presented itself>

I might later when I learn more about programming not until after I graduate from college