"The Witcher" series will hit Netflix as a American-Polish co-production

slowmo

firstwitcher011280jpg-7667b21280w-149502Netflix will develop and produce a new show based on The Witcher Saga, the series of eight novels by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the hugely popular CD Projekt Red RPG games.

Sapkowski - who does not profit from the game series  - will serve as a creative consultant on the series. “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories," he explained in a press release, "staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing."

Tomas Baginski - who directed the intro videos for all three Witcher games, as well as the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser trailer - will direct at least one episode per season.

It's not clear as yet what specific stories the series will follow. Executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse), said: “The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world. The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling.”

Platige Image, a Polish production and visual effects house will co-produce. Executive producers Baginski and Jarek Sawko emphasised that the books' subtexts will not be lost in the adaptation: "There is a moral and intellectual depth in these books which goes beyond genre. It is a story about today and today’s challenges, hidden under a fantasy cover. It is a story about us, about the monster and the hero inside all of our hearts.”

No release date, casting, or further directorial choices have been revealed at time of writing.

It will be a second adaptation of the book after disappointing series from 2002.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/28/2017 at 12:59 PM, noob447 said:

I feel like Netflix has done such a good job on the vast majority of their self-produced stuff but idk how to feel about this one. I effing love the games but it just feels like a flop for some reason.

Probably because of all the stigmata of bad game to anime/movie/cartoon productions that epicly failed. I was afraid Castlevania would suck, but it was awesome. Maybe Netflix will do just as good this time, if not better. :)

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, pixxelherz said:

Looks and feels good so far! xD

Only issue is that was an entirely fan-made trailer. xD

It says so in the description.

◅ THIS VIDEO WAS MADE FOR FUN ▻ FOR PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT THE VIDEO IS FAKE... WELL, OBVIOUSLY I DIDN'T MAKE THIS VIDEO TOO FOOL OR SCAM ANYONE IT'S JUST A FAN TRAILER

I wonder what sources he used to create this with Mads.

• 4 months later...

New rumor: Millie Brady has been cast as Renfri in The Witcher. Millie will only be in the first episode and has a sex scene that they’re saying requires nudity.

https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comment_vhpZzghkgjNKzsoWOMBKxXKGFTadk88o.jpg

source: https://www.recapped.com/october-7-2018-rumors/

Also, another rumor: Anya Chalotra might be casted for the Yennefer role!

https://gfx.gexe.pl/2018/9/7/183237.1536337957.jpg

source: https://www.recapped.com/september-27-2018-rumors/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Koby said:

d_zsr_rvuay_cgh_3af66defa8226bf4121fb4d3

Spoiler

d_zsej8vuaykfee_80556547088e18b74d29c2ffd_zsej8u0amn3t7_73ff2b02b94c66fa1c682cfbd_zsej9u8aa09b4_1892ebc26a639af48094880c

d_zmfqgu0aenkmc_5c5dd736b52986b823044771d_zmfqhuiaayv8k_1dbeb0e6b21cb4812d63ac77d_zmfqfvaaicalq_a0d9630e3236954efbbc6309

Looks promising. Yennefer does not look like how I envision her from the books, however. Much will depend on their acting too of course. Cavil does look the part, I'm surprised how it has improved since the first video snip-it. Right now I can only say what a joy it is reading the books. Nothing will surpass them. It can only get a worthy interpretation. I still hope Netflix won't screw it up by silently instilling it with too much of their social justice bullshit. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...