RIP Kickass Torrents

Catar

https://torrentfreak.com/feds-seize-kickasstorrents-domains-charge-owner-160720/

While obviously it could spring back up, a la the hydra that TPB has become, for now it seems to be down. Given KAT's much greater leaning toward being a for-profit enterprise than TPB, however, I wouldn't be surprised if KAT is down for good. 

Not that it really solves much. Any bets on what the next biggest index will be? I think TPB is too unstable to really hold it down, despite name recognition, and KAT had a much nicer structure with database integration for shows/movies and a greater sense of community. We'll see.

6 minutes ago, DigiPokeMon said:

I do not know what will loadstone will do now since he used kat to release his web-dls. He is the primary source of the Marvel Animation web-dl's

loadstone or u mean raven !

well if some how kat gets up again I advice all torrent lovers not to discuss infront of strangers there is some fucking pieceof shit bastered enemy of torrents among us  

Edited by forgetful

ExtraTorrent.cc is now the largest active public torrent tracker. ThePirateBay is a shell of it's former self, riddled with pop-unders and fake torrents. Other noteably sized trackers include RARBG.to and TorrentDownloads.me Either way public torrenting on giant sites is a dying breed. Any site that takes over is just going to end up being the next big target for takedown.

Problem with sites like KAT is the owner was apparently making millions off pirated works (reportedly had over 28 million in one bank, and had 14 million in ad revenue within a few months in another bank). It's one thing if you're doing something like that for free, but when you become a millionaire off pirating copyrighted material, then of course you'll be a target. The point of pirating isn't to make money, but to share what otherwise couldn't be shared.

I pirate because otherwise I couldn't afford to watch stuff through legal means. Yes they're working on making things cheaper to obtain through streaming means and such, but a lot of people around the world still get locked out due to region-locks and the like. Until they make free options which are region-free, I believe piracy isn't going away. It's something that likely will never go away, but they can work towards lessening it. Unfortunately they'd rather point the finger at big shots rather than fix the system that created them.

Talking shit about feds isn't going to help. At the end of the day, what KAT was doing was illegal. You can't blame feds for taking down something breaking the law.

• Like 12

some of us wana make an impression by giving speaches in paragraphs and pin pointing others and getting chants ln bla bla bla ol 

free torrent sites can never be shut down you cut one head it will grow another names can be changed and looks can be deceivable. Although it a big plan of aluminatis first make addiction to something then taking control over that to have absolute power the governments which are in aluminatis control will gona stop all torrents piracy  one day but that time is not near guys 

Edited by forgetful

On 7/21/2016 at 3:31 PM, Koby said:

ExtraTorrent.cc is now the largest active public torrent tracker. ThePirateBay is a shell of it's former self, riddled with pop-unders and fake torrents. Other noteably sized trackers include RARBG.to and TorrentDownloads.me Either way public torrenting on giant sites is a dying breed. Any site that takes over is just going to end up being the next big target for takedown.

Problem with sites like KAT is the owner was apparently making millions off pirated works (reportedly had over 28 million in one bank, and had 14 million in ad revenue within a few months in another bank). It's one thing if you're doing something like that for free, but when you become a millionaire off pirating copyrighted material, then of course you'll be a target. The point of pirating isn't to make money, but to share what otherwise couldn't be shared.

I pirate because otherwise I couldn't afford to watch stuff through legal means. Yes they're working on making things cheaper to obtain through streaming means and such, but a lot of people around the world still get locked out due to region-locks and the like. Until they make free options which are region-free, I believe piracy isn't going away. It's something that likely will never go away, but they can work towards lessening it. Unfortunately they'd rather point the finger at big shots rather than fix the system that created them.

Talking shit about feds isn't going to help. At the end of the day, what KAT was doing was illegal. You can't blame feds for taking down something breaking the law.

my feelings exactly. imo the term " pirate " is a misnomer. we dont actually go in a store log the merchandise and keep it. instead one person purchased it in one way or form and shared it. now i also agree that it is illegal simply because the legality of an action is dictated by law. whether the law is right or wrong is different story. and my personal opinion is u shouldn't be profiting off of someone elses work. its like soliciting on a well visited area cuz its well visited and u feel u have the right to advertise anywhere u plz. the onlh thing i can accept is using the proceeds to fund the site and whatnot and if theres extra left over to purchase more material to share or donate to a cause. i think that would have made torrent sites  into robinhoods of sorts. anywho i think contnet providers should adopt the torrent model.  imagine if top artists would have made their own sites. they would keep all that money to themselves and consumers would be super happy. 

but i am too naive for my own good. 

its a shame though, i liked KaT. they had a well organized site. 

Edited by professa X