Anime series that ended but never finished telling it's story

Oblivia

Too many and it's really frustrating.

Tokko is the one that frustrated me the most. I really enjoyed this anime, the ending just left you wondering what the hell happened and what will happen next.

Ghost Hunt is another. It finished off ok-ish, but i think it needed another series.

Tokyo Underground........well, it didn't need another series, just 1 or 2 more episodes to wrap things up properly.

Black Blood Brothers. I loved the final episode, but it needed another series, the story was just beginning.

There is probably plenty more i can think of.

On 27/01/2016 at 2:53 AM, sapphireglaceon said:

dragon ball

We got it, it was called Dragon Ball GT. Not brilliant but i thought the ending was a nice way to end things for Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super is around now though and i have my doubts that it can end the series on a high note.

On 11/26/2015 at 9:24 PM, ani-me said:

• Future Diary | Mirai Nikki (though there exist an OVA that skips everything and directly shows the end, but what use it that?)

I'm not sure where you got your information, but the OVA is the series's epilogue. They didn't skip anything as far as I'm concerned. 

MAR

No way, Ginta saving the world and reuniting with Koyuki isn't enough for you? What more do you want?

Edited by Inverti

3 hours ago, Inverti said:

I'm not sure where you got your information, but the OVA is the series's epilogue. They didn't skip anything as far as I'm concerned. 

No way, Ginta saving the world and reuniting with Koyuki isn't enough for you? What more do you want?

Yes, the OVA for Mirai Nikki/Future Diary acted as the epilogues, but in my opinion it doesn't do the series justice. It is too abrupt and sudden, and just feels incomplete.

But yes, you are not wrong as well. It is just a matter of opinion. I guess

• 3 months later...

The main Ghost Hunt series only had one (arguably one and a half) arc after the Cursed House--enough material for a movie or 5-7 episodes. If they included Akumu no Sumu Ie as well, you might have gotten a ten- or eleven-episode season out of it if  you stretched it out.  It's disappointing that they didn't finish, but understandable.

-Shinrei Tantei Yakumo skipped around a lot and left at least half of its arcs uncovered.

-Tokyo Ravens caught up to its source material.  When the anime finished, there was only one or two more novels out.

-Akatsuki no Yona was just starting to get interesting.  So were Gakuen Alice and Psychic Academy.  They probably ended the latter two because they get VERY dark in the middle and end, and they wanted to keep the for-kids label.

-Kaze No Stigma will never finish; the writer died.

-Blade Dance of the Elementalers, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Chivalry of a Failed Knight all have plenty more material that can be adapted.

-Irregular at Magic High School (though it has a movie coming out).

In all honesty, we might be better off listing the anime that DIDN'T have endings that felt like a cop-out.  Too many are abrupt as hell or feel incomplete.  Sometimes the reason I remember an anime specifically because it felt complete.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How about Getbackers. Sure, I was fine with how they ended it but the manga continued on, It would have been nice if they had gone in later and finished it out in anime form. Also Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3. The Ova felt so rushed and the characters never had a chance to get fleshed out.. they should have given it a series!

Edited by SuperSaiyanLove

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Snaiia said:

For me it is One Piece
So many episodes and still it hasn't got end 

This topic is about anime series that actually ended, but didn't actually tell the full story; as-in those that needed another season or more but never got it.

Not anime that have just never actually ended airing as of yet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Argh, maybe it's my fault, I guess the topic title can be a little misleading... It is anime series that were never finished/completed, in other words, that were dropped.

Also, adding a few more: Shinrei Tantei Yakumo and Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi. Kamisama had a nice potential, but the story was totally unexplored. To be honest, i love the first three episodes, I think it is worth watching just for those. :C Also, I fear the dropping might happen with Akatsuki no Yona, if it is true, I will be really...mad.

• Koby changed the title to Anime series that ended but never finished telling it's story
  • 3 weeks later...

i have a general example: several OVAs from the 80s and 90s.

at best, it's a complete story arc at worst, the OVA ends right before the final battle.(they've got everything in story ready for it) an example is Bubblegum Crisis and Dangaizer. the former was said to be because of budget issues(or was it the production committee?) the latter...actually i have to yet to find any article about it not being ended.

another is Dallos. ayup. what is considered the very first OVA just ends when the story has just been established.

6 hours ago, gumby said:

Rosario Vampire please make it happen....

Honestly, Rosario + Vampire was so different from it's source material, I'd rather see a full faithful reboot than a season 3. Loved the show, but it was nothing like the manga.

The anime was basically an ecchi fanservice romcom, while the manga was apparently more dark/bloody shounen-esque.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...