MEGA Enforcing File Limit

TheLastOfUs

MEGA has disabled uploading files on my 983GB or whatever it is account until I pay :(

Just made a new account lol

Oh wow, how were you uploading?? With their sync client or web browser?

What is this "sync client" that you speak of? Are you referring to their browser plug-ins?

Looks like I will be next then. 980GB of 50GB. I hope to make it to 1TB first before losing the account. 

Keep us posted!!

What is this "sync client" that you speak of? Are you referring to their browser plug-ins?

As Moppet said, I was referring to the MEGAsync client that Mega themselves released. Which you can find under Menu > Apps > Sync Client from within Mega. What's nice is that it comes with a context menu allowing you to right click a file and send it to Mega (and specify a folder if wanted).

I found the client to give me higher upload speeds than uploading through the browser (with the extension installed).  

• Like 1

As Moppet said, I was referring to the MEGAsync client that Mega themselves released. Which you can find under Menu > Apps > Sync Client from within Mega. What's nice is that it comes with a context menu allowing you to right click a file and send it to Mega (and specify a folder if wanted).

I found the client to give me higher upload speeds than uploading through the browser (with the extension installed).  

I expected some kind of Windows only program. I guess that I can install it on my dual boot and if I'm only uploading to MEGA, I'll use it. However, I'm usually seeding torrents as well (among other things) so I like staying in OSX for just regular things (minus working on encodes).

I expected some kind of Windows only program. I guess that I can install it on my dual boot and if I'm only uploading to MEGA, I'll use it. However, I'm usually seeding torrents as well (among other things) so I like staying in OSX for just regular things (minus working on encodes).

They have one for OSX correct? I think it auto detects which OS when you choose the Sync Client from Mega, but not 100% sure. I also thought you had a seedbox? 

• Like 1

They have one for OSX correct? I think it auto detects which OS when you choose the Sync Client from Mega, but not 100% sure. I also thought you had a seedbox? 

Well shit... There is a Mac app. Hahaha. Thanks MK.

And I don't have a seedbox. I'm not going to pay extra when I'm already doing all this hard work ;) The only thing that I do pay for is usenet because usenet is f'n awesome (and just $5 a month).

If I need to upload a lot of stuff (like big initial seeding), I just go to campus and use their connection (aka free... minus tuition). It's mad fast and for some reason MEGA uploads seem to be able to work in parallel with torrent uploading (upload speeds of either don't get hampered too much) which is why I've been uploading all my stuff to MEGA recently.

And I don't have a seedbox. I'm not going to pay extra when I'm already doing all this hard work ;) The only thing that I do pay for is usenet because usenet is f'n awesome (and just $5 a month).

If I need to upload a lot of stuff (like big initial seeding), I just go to campus and use their connection (aka free... minus tuition). It's mad fast and for some reason MEGA uploads seem to be able to work in parallel with torrent uploading (upload speeds of either don't get hampered too much) which is why I've been uploading all my stuff to MEGA recently.

Haha not a problem. Never heard of usenet before xD... (kill me now I know)

Wow, Im surprised that you can use torrents at Uni (assuming that usenet is not a VPN), Mega I know can get through most public internet connections because of it's encryption technology but thats pretty cool. Do you know if your Uni has fiber?  

Haha not a problem. Never heard of usenet before xD... (kill me now I know)

Wow, Im surprised that you can use torrents at Uni (assuming that usenet is not a VPN), Mega I know can get through most public internet connections because of it's encryption technology but thats pretty cool. Do you know if your Uni has fiber?  

It'd be more weird if I couldn't use torrents at college/grad schoo imol. And no VPN. I've been on three different campuses and all of them were wide open (even the free public college internet that they provide). But I guess that's why they call 'MURICA the land of the free.

• Like 1

I've tested the new sync app a few times with my home connection, and surprisingly I get much better upload speeds with the Chrome browser plug-in...  :rolleyes:

I'll see if there are different results at school when I upload my new Ergo Proxy files in the near future...

Actually a sync client that says what it does and does what it should - speed up uploads. Just one thing to keep an eye on, in settings and on the bandwidth tab, make sure it's set to "Dont limit" as opposed to "Auto". You'll gain a few extra KB's. What speed do you get at home? 

• Like 1

I've tested the new sync app a few times with my home connection, and surprisingly I get much better upload speeds with the Chrome browser plug-in...  :rolleyes:

I'll see if there are different results at school when I upload my new Ergo Proxy files in the near future...

Actually a sync client that says what it does and does what it should - speed up uploads. Just one thing to keep an eye on, in settings and on the bandwidth tab, make sure it's set to "Dont limit" as opposed to "Auto". You'll gain a few extra KB's. What speed do you get at home? 

Now I feel like a noob... That might be the issue. I've changed this and now the client seems to max out my connection at home as well (~650 Kb/s up). The big test is with the connection at school. I'll see how it goes down. Thanks MK.

Weird but I'm getting infinitely better performance with the Chrome browser plug-in on my school's WIFI. It's probably due to some blocking and shit. And the sync app was comparable at home but the browser plug-in still worked slightly better. I guess that I'm sticking with the tried and true formula :)

Now I feel like a noob... That might be the issue. I've changed this and now the client seems to max out my connection at home as well (~650 Kb/s up). The big test is with the connection at school. I'll see how it goes down. Thanks MK.

haha, in all honesty I only found this out a couple of days ago. 

Weird but I'm getting infinitely better performance with the Chrome browser plug-in on my school's WIFI. It's probably due to some blocking and shit. And the sync app was comparable at home but the browser plug-in still worked slightly better. I guess that I'm sticking with the tried and true formula :)

I never used the sync client at my uni as I just uploaded from my phone. It could well be blocked. Maybe the sync client programme doenst use the same encryption method that the plug-in does? Did all your uploads finish when uploading through the browser? I.e. did any of them get stuck at 99% and not budge from there until you had to refresh? 

haha, in all honesty I only found this out a couple of days ago. 

I never used the sync client at my uni as I just uploaded from my phone. It could well be blocked. Maybe the sync client programme doenst use the same encryption method that the plug-in does? Did all your uploads finish when uploading through the browser? I.e. did any of them get stuck at 99% and not budge from there until you had to refresh? 

I very rarely get a problem with my uploads hanging at 99% or failing. It does happen once a blue moon though. I'll try the sync client in some different locations. The one that I've been at today has been problematic overall but the Sync client literally uploads at 50-100 Kb/s max while the browser is 600Kb/s-1.5 MB/s. With those numbers, I let the sync client run for a few minutes and just gave up.

Edited by deanzel

http://gizmodo.com/paypal-canceled-megas-account-because-of-encryption-bu-1688424955

Sons of bitches. PayPal suspending MEGA's account because MEGA's encryption is "too good" that they don't know what is being uploaded. Visa and Mastercard have already stopped supporting MEGA. Fuck that senator. While MEGA says that it will temporarily stop charging or enforcing storage limits and give every paid account an extra 2 months, I'm more worried about what this entails for MEGA's future. You've gotta collect money somehow (and not through BitCoins).

• Like 1

Isn't that what the resellers are for? You're not paying MEGA directly.

P.S. I didn't bother reading the article, only your summary and the headline.

Meh. Resellers are for shady ass Russian sites where you gamble on trying to use PayPal and have to pay that premium. For something as big as MEGA, you'd hope to have a much more stable income platform than depending on "resellers" especially when you're essentially the big fish that all the anti-piracy groups are targeting (for filehosting).

And I wasn't exactly saying that its income is gone but that this is a sign that the hammer could be dropping on them or much larger problems loom in the future. Whatever it means, it certainly is not good when PayPal essentially got forced by Visa and MasterCard to stop processing MEGA payments for as shitty of a reason as their files being "too encrypted".

Edited by deanzel

http://gizmodo.com/paypal-canceled-megas-account-because-of-encryption-bu-1688424955

You've gotta collect money somehow (and not through BitCoins).

DogeCoins! Shit ton of ad's or use a paypal equivalent (like Skrill) is what I would suggest at the Mega meeting about this...  good news is that storage limits have been removed

OH YEAH!! That was a HUGE problem before.

• Like 1

You've gotta collect money somehow (and not through BitCoins).

DogeCoins! Shit ton of ad's or use a paypal equivalent (like Skrill) is what I would suggest at the Mega meeting about this...  good news is that storage limits have been removed

OH YEAH!! That was a HUGE problem before.

There is no sarcasm scale in the world that could measure the amount that was used here.

• Like 1