The Flash (2014 TV Series)

Emrys

I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority on this but I haven't been that thrilled this season with Flash or even Arrow. Both have just basically been big adverts for the new 'Legends of Tomorrow' show CW is doing. Every episode has been build up for it. Finding a replacement for Ronnie for FireStorm, figuring out Ray aka the Atom is still around somewhere, setting Cold up to be a reluctant hero-type, introducing Wally as Iris' brother she never knew (even though he's her cousin in the comics), bringing Canary back to life, etc.. Not really much has happened in either show that hasn't been about setting up LoT.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And now that season 2 is over, can we all agree that it was a literal train wreck?

It started nicely enough, everything was on the track to be about exploring alternate dimensions. That was perfectly fitting considering how season 1 was filled with time traveling.

Then they hit a bump on the rail with the ridiculous revelation about Zoom's identity. Clearly they tried to emulate the first season big reveal about Wells (Or Eobard Thawne) being the Reverse-Flash, except that in that case it made perfect sense. Zoom's identity was not only utter nonsense, his origin story was even worse, they just made a excuse to justify his crimes that looked so artificial that it was downright unbelievable.

After that, the whole plot/train went of the track, rolled over and catched fire. Zoom's never explained his reasons, Barry gives his powers to a serial killer that he could defeat, a lot of villains like Reverb and Black Siren were just tossed on the screen without adding anything, the locations were seriously reduced (why on Earth the police is taking refuge on a coffee shop? There is only one precinct in the whole city?) and character development was extremely rushed (Iris is dating her editor on one episode and on the very next she is melting for Barry, Barry makes peace with losing his mother one episode only to lose his father in the next, etc).

And then there is the ending. The only train metaphor I can come up that mirrors that baffling ending would be if another train saw the first train wreck and kept going until it hit it and also exploded. Barry suffered from excessive dumbness this whole season, but saving his mother and destroying the whole show timeline takes the cake. That could have worked in the comics as a way to reboot the continuity, but come on guys, this is still SEASON 2! What kind of show needs a reboot after just two years? Some may think of this as a way to put out the fires, but does someone truly believes they won't screw up again?

I already gave up on Arrow, and I'm more than ready to let The Flash go and thus sever my connections with DC. They better step up for season 3, like "reach for the stars" step up.

Edited by Thomas_JCG

I'm honestly surprised they didn't show/hint that Jessie or Wally were speedsters before the end of the season. At least Barry semi-explained how the time remnant thing works. That ending Barry pulled off though should have some major changes next season.

Zoom was basically someone with similar backstory to Barry but went down the opposite path. He kept making parallels to Barry on how he could have just as easily become like him.

The whole plot about giving up his powers to Zoom right after he gained the speed needed to beat Zoom was ridiculous. He could have just ended it there. Instead he put the entire world at risk, allowed Zoom to do everything that came after, and ultimately led to his own fathers death as a result of not finishing it then.

To make matters worse, he goes back AGAIN to the time RF killed his mother (whatever happened to the whole paradox of not being able to continiously revisit the same place and time over and over without messing stuff up anyhow?) and he stops it this time which is going to have major repercussions on the time line. Then again his past fuckery didn't change anything: they gained a new helper at the lab that only appeared for one ep and seems to have just vanished without any word. So the writers will probably not make this reveal change shit besides allow the mother to be alive and Iris to once again forget she loves Barry all over again. Reverse Flash may even once again be alive.

On another forum I frequent, everyone talks shit about Arrow and say it's never been as good as The Flash and that it's the worst DC show the last couple seasons, but honestly I feel like The Flash has never been as good as Arrow S1 was, but either way The Flash S2 was definitely a downhill slope from S1. Seems all the 'Berlanti DC' shows have turned to crap.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's not a lot they can include from the Flashpoint comic. Captain Cold as a good guy, I guess. Hopefully, they skip the stuff in Flashpoint with Barry losing his powers then nearly killing himself to get them back. They just did that last season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, thisisatrial said:

I watched the first 5 or 6 eps, and enjoyed it inspire of some rough writing and acting. Do those aspects get better? Will I ever NOT hate the long haired comedic sidekick?

Season 3 has kind of been a let-down in my opinion, and they seem to keep reusing the same algorithm... and every season the 'big bad' happens to be some other speedster with the same powers as Barry. So they really need to shake it up with season 3 by making the big bad be someone with a different set of meta human powers.

If you're referring to Cisco, then yeah he became more likable as the show went on, but then in season 3 he began to kind of wear on me again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Koby said:

Season 3 has kind of been a let-down in my opinion, and they seem to keep reusing the same algorithm... and every season the 'big bad' happens to be some other speedster with the same powers as Barry. So they really need to shake it up with season 3 by making the big bad be someone with a different set of meta human powers.

If you're referring to Cisco, then yeah he became more likable as the show went on, but then in season 3 he began to kind of wear on me again.

Having everything being an anti-flash situation sounds not super interesting.