Anime for my Dad

Shazi

My Picks are:

Cowboy Bebop

Outlaw Star

Code Geass - It's more of a strategy anime rather than mecha, I think. And the story doesn't really revolve around the robots.

Trigun

Black Jack/21

FMA - Plus Movies sooooooooooooooooooooo GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD :ewhz:

FMA: Brotherhood - All time Favorite :exciting:

Yu Yu Hakusho

Shaman King

Hunter X Hunter

Saiyuki

Samurai X

Edited by noscire
  • Like 1

Okay so my Dad is into anime and is asking me for reccomendations, I have sent him on a hunt to watch through all of Studio Ghibli's works as well as Coyboy Bebop and some movies that I enjoyed, Next I think I will send him to watch FMA Brotherhood but from there I am stumped as to what to give him to watch, any ideas? My dad likes Sci-fi (not mecha though) and things that are well written. He has seen Ninja scroll as well

Your dad would really like Beck - Trust

Sci Fi:

Steins;Gate - its about time travel and microwaving stuff. Not much in the way of action but it is a good story.

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Its a space travel anime, its a bit dated and more comedy than anything else.

Tsuritama - Its a comedy sci fi about fishing and aliens, it definitely has its own style.

it was harder than I thought coming up with good sci fi that doesn't involve giant robots, I need to expand my own collection in that area. I want to throw Vandread and Nadesico in there, but they have giant robots in them, however they don't follow the usual trend of that genre and are more about space travel so it might be worth considering. Vandread has a battle of the sexes thing going on and is a little more comedy, nadesico has a descent story to it if you get into it, both have varying degrees of comedy.

As far as good story goes, I would recommend these:

Eden of the East - kinda hard to describe this one, its a little more on the serious and realism side of things.

Baccano - Takes place in the us during the 1800's, has a lot of violence and gore. Its all about the story telling and unique characters. It jumps around a lot between 3 time periods and between a lot of different characters which makes it hard to keep track of the first time watching as its basic premise is that for any event there are as many stories as there are people to tell them.

Durarara - Made by the same people who made Baccano, takes place in modern times and is much easier to follow. Doesn't have much blood and gore in contrast to baccano, but like baccano it has an emphasis on story telling and interesting characters. A common theme in durarara is centered around the Headless Rider, an urban legend about a person riding a creepy motorcycle around town with no head.

I'm not too familiar with studio Ghibli, but if he's into that stuff I would throw Kamichu in there, but at your own discretion. I could be wrong, but to me it seems reminiscent of the studio ghibli stuff I'm familiar with which is mainly spirited away and ni no kuni. I also filtered out things that were sordid or had a lot of gore in them (with the exception of baccano), but if these aren't an issue, Elfen Lied was mentioned and its a classic, gantz is very sordid but it is sci fi action with a warped sense of humor, lots of blood, nudity, language, and adult themes. Beck and Death Note were also mentioned and I would second them, they both have good stories, beck being about music and Death Note being a supernatural crime scene investigation psychological thriller.

• 4 weeks later...

And if he's up to watching something available only in subs

Toward the Terra

Dirty Pair

Although it took forever to download I did find a Dual Audio torrent of Toward the Terra (it was the best available video source muxed/synced with Animax English audio [decent enough dub imho])

Edited by DudeeBalls