Microsoft confirms 'pre-owned fee' for Xbox One

cloud1414

Mandatory game installation required for all games; second install on separate Live account sits behind paywall

Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

It added: "Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Microsoft did not disclose what the second-user fee would amount too, and did not clarify further on the matter.

The article claims that there is no sweeping 'always-online' requirement for future Xbox One games.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

still, if you play a game made by EA, battlefield for example, then you may be well aware that this policy already exists in the form of 'online access passes' and other such dire things. I bought bf3 second hand and had to pay 800MS points to play online,then be exposed to the usual 'buy this new map pack for MOAR stuff NOAW!'

I think the consumer may just have to get used to taking it from behind because it isn't just MS playing this game. 

and don't get me started on season passes:(

Yeah this is pretty lame.

I mean this basically defeats the purpose of getting a gaming console right? The X1 (lol such a silly name) and PS4 are almost literally personal computers with the x86 architecture. So if they are pretty much computers what separates them from a gaming PC?

Selling and buying used games.

With PC most people get their games from Steam, Origin, etc... Which become digitally binded to you. With the Wii/360/PS3 you could buy a game and sell it if you didn't want it anymore. So with that incentive gone why even bother getting two inferior gaming consoles computers when you can get a much more powerful gaming PC?

Nintendo/PC for life yo! :P

Not to mention the PC has this wonderful competitive pricing market... none of that $60 new and $45 used stuff being the only deal in town.

Literally by shopping smart and using special deals you can literally get something on launch day for as much as a third to half off for PC. That doesn't happen for consoles like ever. And if you are willing to wait six months to a year you can usually end up buying that "new" game for $10-15. When on consoles it will *still* be at least $35.

I love my PC.

I know it is only early stages but this has me asking so many questions it isn't funny. Sure I can see their reasoning behind it but I don't know. So what it is saying above I can buy a game for my whole family but that game will be registered to my profile and no one else in my family's. Which means we have to fork even more money out so that they can play the game as well?

This just seems like another way for Microsoft to get even more money when I am sure they will charge a lot for the new Xbox games.

wrong, wrong, wrong wrong.  Bad, bad, bad.  I had to except this kinda thing on steam,  but this is to far.  Who would buy a used game just to buy it a second time at home.  Even if the fee is cheap.   No more huge gameing sesions with friends unless every one has the same games.  I close to say that poeple should buycot the xbox 1 realise day.  Yes pirates are bad for business but screwing the player over to prevent it is a bad Idea. 

I heard the fee would be the same price as the game was brand new.

I also heard that the game would no longer work on the first console if it was resold.

Should that be true it will kill the pre-owned market and gaming at a friends place with you games on their console. I am still not sure if I want a new xbox now, I shall wait and see what develops over the coming weeks.

I also heard that the game would no longer work on the first console if it was resold.

Should that be true it will kill the pre-owned market and gaming at a friends place with you games on their console. I am still not sure if I want a new xbox now, I shall wait and see what develops over the coming weeks.

That's the point though. All game companies really want to kill the pre-owned market because in their eyes, that's lost profit. Pre-owned stores like GameStop make way more money than the actual companies that make the games do from what I understand.

As for gaming at a friends house. It seems you'll be able to load the game from your XBOX Live account for free so you'll be able to play your copy at a friends house. Being connected to your Live account ensures it's you, since you can only be logged in from one place at any given time.

That's the point though. All game companies really want to kill the pre-owned market because in their eyes, that's lost profit. Pre-owned stores like GameStop make way more money than the actual companies that make the games do from what I understand.

As for gaming at a friends house. It seems you'll be able to load the game from your XBOX Live account for free so you'll be able to play your copy at a friends house. Being connected to your Live account ensures it's you, since you can only be logged in from one place at any given time.

I buy my games brand new anyway but I am sure their are people out their who wait for games to go pre-owned before they buy, such as my dad.

I heard that games could run without the disc and wasn't sure how well that would work, but looking at it from the angle you just gave it makes a little more sense in my mind. I would also assume if the game was a multiplayer game everyone could play it as long as the owner of the game is present, or so one would hope.

I can also see gaming companies making a lot of money off the way the new Xbox runs, not due to killing pre-owned games but also say you have a family of 6 (my mother who doesn't play so it doesn't matter about her, but you have my dad, me and my 3 brothers) I buy a new $100 game and for all of them to play it where in the past I had the game they could all play now they have to all fork out $100 each to buy a new game so they can play it too, so instead of having one game for multiple people in my family I now need 5 copies of it for everyone.

That is if I have understood it correctly.

I think I'll stick with my Wii U and maybe get the PS4 depending what they have to offer at E3. I've never really been a microsoft fan. I gave the 360 a chance but all it does now is collect dust since I really dont want to pay $60 a year to be able to play online. This is definitely going to turn people away from the console and was not really a smart move by them, in my opinion. We'll just have to see post E3 time.

I think I'll stick with my Wii U and maybe get the PS4 depending what they have to offer at E3. I've never really been a microsoft fan. I gave the 360 a chance but all it does now is collect dust since I really dont want to pay $60 a year to be able to play online. This is definitely going to turn people away from the console and was not really a smart move by them, in my opinion. We'll just have to see post E3 time.

It is more like $80 -.-

Still that does not really bother me, I have been a xbox fan for ages but I also own a PS3 and Wii and as of recently a Wii-U. I don't think I will buy a PS4 as I am not a big Playstation fan but I want to buy the new Xbox, that is I want it to be a good console but at the moment it is teetering on the edge of a cliff and E3 is pretty much the only thing that will let me see if Microsoft falls from the cliff or pull themselves back away from it.

I just keep hearing one bad thing about it after another, I can't even think of anything good to say about it. Come on E3 show us the Xbox-1 has what it takes to rise from it's already dug grave.

It is more like $80 -.-

Still that does not really bother me, I have been a xbox fan for ages but I also own a PS3 and Wii and as of recently a Wii-U. I don't think I will buy a PS4 as I am not a big Playstation fan but I want to buy the new Xbox, that is I want it to be a good console but at the moment it is teetering on the edge of a cliff and E3 is pretty much the only thing that will let me see if Microsoft falls from the cliff or pull themselves back away from it.

I just keep hearing one bad thing about it after another, I can't even think of anything good to say about it. Come on E3 show us the Xbox-1 has what it takes to rise from it's already dug grave.

The thing is that even devoted xbox fans are turning away from the xbox one. Like you said, they really have to bring the audience back at E3. Sony still hasnt revealed their system so fans are going to get hyped about that too and I just feel like sony is going to have a more successful E3 this time around. Nintendo already confirmed they weren't doing a presentation for E3 but instead a few nintendo direct broadcasts. This will basically give microsoft and sony the spotlight and if microsoft dont step their game up then things could look very bad for them.