Old Stories!

Breathless

So I found an old story of mine and thought I'd post it here. There are some parts of the story that I don't even know why I put in, but #yolo I guess. I actually found a bunch of my old writings, I might post some more here if I feel like it. Anyway, have fun reading!

I’ve always had this dream... But, it’s a very strange dream... There’s this fiendish monster standing there staring at me. Its cold gaze pierces through me as if it’s crushing my soul... but at the same time, it feels somewhat gentle. Because... no matter how you look at it... the monster is me.

I had that dream again; every time I have it my heart skips a beat. I can’t tell if it’s out of admiration or disgust. Well, it doesn’t matter because a dream is only a dream.

“Oh you’re awake John.”
“Yeah.” I replied.

That’s me, John. I am the twin of my younger brother Chris, and I have a little sister named Kira.
Our father died when I was only eleven and Kira was just a baby... And well, the woman that calls herself my mother hasn’t gotten over his death yet. She says it was because I was a cursed child and Chris was meant to be born alone, maybe that’s why I have that dream every night.

“John don’t forget about Kira’s play today. She’s only five and mum doesn’t want to have anything to do with it... so-“

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t worry Chris, Even if ‘that woman’ doesn’t want anything to do with Kira’s play I sure do. Doesn’t it sound fun? I mean, it’s a play of monsters on Halloween! Even I might dress up.”

Chris smiled and thanked me.
“Don’t be late okay” he said after leaving the house.

I wasn’t going to be late, I’m always on time. Well, that is unless I have a good reason not to be.

“Kira” I called out.
“It’s time to get ready for preschool, get your costume and let’s go.”

“Are you staying at home again?” Kira asked me as we left the house.
“Yeah, I have other things to do okay?” She looked sad that I wasn’t going to school.
“But-... school is time with friends and food and sleep and nice teachers...”

I was happy that she enjoyed school so much, but her little speech left a thorn in my heart... Not everyone’s school was time for friends, food and had nice teachers. Mine was hell, the only thing worse than going to school was coming home to that dreaded woman... She never bought me any books, stationary or uniforms. I had to somehow scrape by on my own working like a dog. And when my classmates found out how hard I worked they were somewhat unhappy and made me a school target for bullying... It got brutal to the point I was suicidal, so I tried to confide in a teacher but... It seems it was my fault for being such a trouble maker and since then on the teachers branded me a good-for-nothing rebellious ruffian... I was even forced into cleaning the school every Saturday for the teachers...

... Why is it so hard to live?

“John? What’s wrong?”

Oh shit, I was so engrossed in my thoughts I forgot about Kira. I can’t believe how much bad memories can be brought up by a 5 year old kid.

“Nothing, we’re here so run along.”

I forced a smile and walked away. While I was walking away I picked up a few whispers from the mothers of the other children.

‘I heard he’s cursed.’
‘Did he leave school? How terrible’
‘My elder son told me he harassed his teacher’
‘Why is someone like that allowed to stay alive?’

Shut up... SHUT UP!! Argh, those stupid gossiping bitches, don’t they have anything better to do with their day? Why am I always the target of these kind of things, is being alive really that much of a sin?

‘pirruuu. Pirruuu.’

“Hello, Chris?” I answered my phone.
“John! A problem came up, can you please bring me my science book? I left it on the table.”
“Yeah, where will you be?”
“At the school front office, I’ll be waiting.”

I hurried home got the book and hurried to school.

“Chris! I brought it” I came into the office panting, trying to catch my breath.
“Thanks John, you’re a real life saver” I smiled at those words, it’s not often I get praise, if ever.

‘hmmph.’

I looked over to see the receptionist looking at me with disgust mumbling something.

“Ah... Chris I better go, It’s going to be Kira’s play soon.”

Once again I hurried back to a local costume store to rent a familiar looking monster costume and ran back out to Kira’s preschool.

I sat down in the school theatre just in time to see the curtains unveil and all the children standing on stage.

“wow” I said to myself silently.

I was so absorbed into the play I forgot that Kira was my little sister, and started to believe that she was ‘little red riding hood’. They play went on with Kira acting flawlessly for ten odd minutes until she finally made a slip up.

“hmmph, why did they let such a idiot looking girl as the heroine instead of my little Luna.”

It was then it hit me. That ‘little red riding hood’ on stage wasn’t an actress, she was my little sister.

“Watch your mouth you old hag. That’s my sister you’re talking about”

“wha-... such impudence, no wonder she seems so stupid. She probably won’t even finish high school.”

“Watch your mouth or I will seriously ‘watch it’ for you.” I glared coldly at her.

“Oh? What are you, the Mafia? I guess she’s destined to grow up to be a little whore then.”

‘snap’

“Okay you annoying bitch! - I warned you enough already!”

I curled my hand into a fist as she ran away with a pale expression.

The play was over and I missed most of it, Chris will we be disappointed. I walked outside into the meeting hall to give Kira a hug.

“Great job Kira, you were excellent. Do you want anything to eat? I’ll buy.”

“I want a yummy burger!” she replied happily.

“Ok, wait here!”

Even though I missed most of the play Kira was still amazing. I can’t wait to see what she grows up to be. A famous actress or model perhaps? These thoughts surged through my mind as I was headed back to the meeting hall with Kira’s cheeseburger.

“WAAAAH! MOMMY HURT KIRA!!!”

Kira was on the floor with blood all around her and all the children were crying.

“I’m sorry Luna I really didn’t mean to!”

I looked to see the woman that was bad mouthing Kira during the play.

“What the hell... You were that jealous that you had to go and hurt my little sister?”

“No... You’ve got this all wrong... I didn’t mean to.”

“Don’t give me those stupid excuses... She was just a child!”

“Mrs Freed! She’s not breathing, we should call an ambulance.”

“Kira...” I mumbled as my legs lost their power.

“pulse... check her pulse!” I shouted.

“...There is no pulse.”

My mind went blank, my vision disappeared. I couldn’t hear anything, and all feelings in my body disappeared. I went completely numb and senseless. I couldn’t think at all.

I don’t know how long it had been, but everything started to come back to me...

My feeling came back, I was sore.
My hearing came back to the sounds of crying.
My vision came back to a mirror...

All around me there was blood, children and mothers crying. But... In the mirror... It was very strange... There’s this fiendish monster standing there staring at me. Its cold gaze pierced through me as if it’s crushing my soul... But at the same time, it felt somewhat gentle... Because no matter how you look at it... The monster in the mirror, It’s me...

My heart skipped a beat, and I can’t tell if it is out of admiration or disgust... But.... It doesn’t matter, because this is reality.

Edited by Breathless

It's just like one of my Japanese horror mangas!!

Haha, interesting read. I like the bookend narrative. o3o

Haha, it seems I was quite into the bookend style back in the day. A few of my stories seem to start and end with the same sentences. Sometimes it's so forced, I don't even know why I was doing it!

It's got a nice touch to it and just pulls you into the story......I hope there's more Breathless!

Not of that story! haha. I wrote it like 5 years ago, I don't even think I could continue it if I tried!

That being said, here's a flash fiction of mine. I wrote it more recently, this one is probably ~2010? Anywho, please enjoy.

I stared at her back with only one thought in my mind, 'Please turn around'.

'I don't want you to leave'. No matter how loud my thoughts were I would keep them to myself.

'It's not your fault, it's mine.' I couldn't say it, even after accepting the fact.

'Please turn around' resounded in my mind once again, yet my mouth was sealed shut.

'Just please, don't leave me'... It was too late for anything...

She left me....

'I guess it wasn't meant to be.' I thought to myself as she boarded the plane.

'I guess this is how it ends.' I unwillingly accepted.

'Just one last look, and then it's over.' I decided as I peered at the plane.

'There she is...' Her face covered in tears, her mouth slowly moving.

"Why didn't he tell me to stop...

... Why didn't he tell me to turn around..

Why did he let me go."

• Like 1