Kamidori Alchemy Meister Review

Before-Notes

So. I've recently aqquired this game called Kamidori Alchemy Meister and I figured I'll do a review on it! I'll be splitting it up into different parts, seeing as how I'm still playing the game. I'll do a "first look" review, "half-time thoughts" review, and then the "final" review. I may end up going through it really quick, or this might take me a very long time, it really depends on my schedule.

Anyway, without further ado, here we go!

Kamidori Alchemy Meister - First Look

Kamidori Alchemy Meister

ss2uu.jpg

Kamidori Alchemy Meister is a Japanese Eroge, created by Eushully. It's an 'informal sequel to Princess Hunting Dungeon Meister', which I have never played before. In Kamidori Alchemy Meister there are three main heroines, and doing a little bit of research I have learnt that each have their own specific route.There is a loli heroine, a quiet-and-knightly kind of herione, and a motherly / big-sisterly heroine. I'll talk more about these later.

The one thing I have noticed about Kamidory Alchemy Meister is that unlike most visual novels, there's a game-play element to it. I haven't even reached the 'eroge' bits yet, and I have to admit this game is actually pretty hard! If I had to compare it to another game, the battle system reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics, or maybe Fire Emblem, but with less characters to control. Though the game-play is simple, it requires you to keep thinking actively, or rather take care with each move you do. As a visual novel, it's very similar to Utawarerumono, but I'm enjoying it a lot more at the moment.

(battle-system screenshots)

ss5kk.jpg          ss6fe.jpg

When not in battle or dungeon, you're either in town, or in a cut scene. The town layout is quite simple as well, just click where you want to visit and you're there. The cut scenes are your typical Visual Novel cut scenes, which I personally enjoy but I know a lot of people find them a bit boring. 

(in-town screenshot)

1345149811-cg000002.png

You play the character Wilfred Dion, a young man who lives in Yuidora, a city famous for it's alchemists. Due to personal reasons, Wilfred failed the Alchemist test last year and has chosen to retake it this year. I won't talk too much about the plot, simply because I just started this game and also that would be spoilers! But so far it seems like it's a coming-of-age story full of adventures, friendship and love! In other words, totally awesome!

The music in this game aren't amazing, but I haven't hated a single track yet. Similarly the voice acting, there's none that I hate as of yet, or rather, I quite like the voice acting. The art on the other hand, I'm a bit iffy about. It's generally quite good but I think they could have done more with the in-dungeon sprites seeing as how that's what you're looking at for the bulk of the time. (The battle sprites look amazing though!) They have done quite a good job creating a consistent atmosphere though, so good job to them there.

Finally, on to the characters.

Emelita

ss9c.jpg

First up is Emelita the loli! Emelita is an enthusiastic young girl who, though good natured, is somewhat clumsy. She was the second heroine to run into Wil (Protagonist) in the story, and seemingly knows of him from somewhere. She's quite cute and the situations she gets herself in are quite amusing. She tries hard, and is rather talented when it comes to observing magic and alchemy. On the other hand, her social skills aren't quite up to par, and she doesn't know about a lot of 'common' things. 

In terms of battle-ability, she's a long-range caster. She has high magic damage, and good AOE (area of effect) spells, but is quite fragile and has low mobility. (I probably favor her the most in battles, I enjoy sniping people!)

Serawi

ss15m.jpg

Second up is Serawi, the big-sisterly / motherly-type heroine. Serawi is an elf from a nearby village, and due to being an elf her longevity is much greater than a humans. She's a kind, good natured and well mannered girl whom's dream is to have humans and elves
co-operate together on an intimate level. (they're kind of distant as it is) She is the third heroine to run into Wil, in the story, it was a brief first meeting. Serawi is the most mature one of the group, and has the deepest understanding of nature and mana.

In battle, Serawi is a ranged archer / healer. She is quite well rounded with offense and defense, and also has some support spells. She's the most mobile on the team. (She's probably my favorite heroine out-of-battle. She's also a key supporter in-battle for me!)

Yuella
ss17zh.jpg

Third is Yuella, the quiet but knightly heroine. Yuella is from the foreign lands, Disnafrody. She was the first in the story to run into Wil, and due to circumstances they ended up sticking together. Yuella is a straight forward girl, who has a strong sense of duty. She's distant from the rest, keeping her burdens to herself. You don't know much about Yuella as of yet except that she's a foreigner, and she has requested to have the magic in her sword restored. She's strong and independent, but knows little of how to socialize, and the proper manners in Yuidora. 

Yuella is a front line solider in battle. She's got a decent amount of health and defense, though lacking a bit in magical defense. She has good movement and can get to places fast, and relatively safely. (She's probably my most used in terms of exploring dungeons. I use her as the front line to soak up damage and to pick off any weak monsters that get in her way.)

First Look Ratings

Gameplay: 8/10
The gameplay is quite simple, but at the same time challenging. If you take your time it should be no problem! It's quite enjoyable, though I would hope it gets a little more complicated later on.

Sound: 7/10

The music is not bad and fits the game well. The sound effects are also above average. Maybe the music will get more epic later on, I'll have to wait and see.

Art: 7.5/10
The art is good! I would have liked to have given it an 8 seeing as how the cut scenes and standard dialogue scenes are phenomenal, but the dungeon art didn't really cut the 8/10 mark for me though, but it's still good!

Characters: 7.5/10
The characters have their own distinct personality to everyone else in the game. True, they're kind of generic personalities you can find in any anime/game, it's just the start and it would be strange if it started off with huge character developments.

Voice Acting: 8/10
As I stated before, I quite liked the voice acting in this game. My biggest peeve when playing a visual novel is when I can't stand the voice of one of the characters, thankfully that's not here. They really did do quite a good job though.

Overall: 8/10

• 2 weeks later...