What are the must-watch anime series & films?

Mr.xxx.

The Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films are good. There is a childlike quality to some of them, but can be easily enjoyed by adults and have a solid storyline (from what I remember anyway).

If you liked Inception, you might like Paprika. It's slightly less of a mind screw but still deals with the interplay of the dream world with reality.

Ergo Proxy tends to be heavily lauded (I found it rather pretentious). If you like darker, more philosophical anime, you'll like this one.

Samurai Champloo definitely gets recommended a lot. I don't have any strong memories about it aside from the seemingly random baseball episode, haha. Lot of action, lot of good hip hop music, and some measure of humour.

Be sure to check the Anime Approval thread as well. It has a decently extensive list of anime series and movies that people have voted on. By no means is it exhaustive, but it's a start.

Clannad

Ouran Host Club

Code Geass

Full Metal Alchemist

Black Butler

Cowboy Bepop

That's a few of the most watched ones, some are a bit older but still good, enjoy them

Those are some good ones.  As EO said, Miyazaki films are the best.  Tasogare Otomi X Amnesia, Toradora, Ookami-san, Ore no Imouto, Hanasaku Iroha, Ano Hana and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun are just a few more.

Some of the top films would be-- the whole dragon ball series, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece. Those are some of the biggest.

I prefer the smaller series and there are a whole lot of them that are great.

Trigun, Rosario Vampire, Vampire Knight....there are a lot Is there a certain genra that you prefer?