Encoding/Files Help - ID3 Tags

nemarious

Alright, folks, this has been troubling me for a while. I am by no parameter an expert encoder so forgive me if the solution to my problem is obvious.

A little background first. I wanted to make backup copies of all the DVDs and Blu-rays in my collection - mostly anime, some live action stuff - so that I didn't have to keep lugging all the sets around to different houses. As I go from my mum's house and my dad's house all the time, when I had a small collection this wasn't really an issue. Now I have more than a shelf of stuff this is more of an issue. I'm sure like many of you I don't like the idea of carrying my entire collection in one easy, stealable DVD pouch. So, I decided to see about making backups to take and put them on my PS3 up there.

Anyway, I've managed to start doing it (detailed below for your reference) but the big problem I'm having is with the Title ID3 tag. I can't seem to clear them after finishing the process of getting them sorted for PS3. It seems that the problem is the PS3 reads the Title ID3 tag rather than the actual filename like the Xbox 360 does. So, for example, I've done the first season of Black Butler and the file-names are as they should be (episode names) but the Title ID3 tags are the same as the disc (MANGA UK - Black Butler - C1 - D1) which is what the PS3 reads. I'll include some images as well so you guys know what I'm referring to better.

Basically, what I'm after is a way to clear the ID3 tag, or at least change it so that it's the same as the filename. For some reason, unlike non-protected MP3 files, I can't edit the Title ID3 tag at all. In fact, I can't change any of the properties under the 'Details' ribbon within properties. None of the files have anything in the Copyright ID3 tag so it's nothing to do with that.

I know some people will just say, 'Take you're Xbox with you then' but as the Xbox can only read external memory upto 16gb in capacity that's not really a solution. Plus I'd be replacing carrying my collection around with carrying a console around so that wouldn't really be any better.

So, I put it to you, encoders, whose work I've never seen suffer the same problem so clearly there's something I'm missing, can you help me at all?

Images

filedetails.jpg

This image shows the difference between the filename (on the left) and the Title ID3 tag (on the right). I want to clear the ID3 tag, or at least change it to the same as the filename, either or.

xboxwx.jpg

This image shows the file on Xbox 360 with the latest updates. It reads the filename and therefore isn't a problem.

ps3fz.jpg

This is the exact same file on PS3 with the latest updates. It reads the ID3 tag so I can't tell which episode is which.

Encoding Method

1. Use MakeMKV to rip from DVDs/Blu-Rays. http://makemkv.com/

2. If required, use mkvmerge GUI to split files into individual episodes.

3. Encode using self-made batch file to create smaller video file, code found below. This is done using the latest 8-Bit X264 binary (32-Bit version)

x264 --preset veryfast --tune animation --crf 18 -o %1.8bit.mkv %1

4. The file is now ready for PC and plays fine via MPC.

5. Convert using Freemake video converter (crap I know) to convert to compatible .avi file for both consoles (XVID video/AAC audio)

6. The files play fine on both consoles, that isn't the issue. It's the ID3 tag that messes the whole approach up because it mean's I can't tell which episode is which.

I'm sure there are better, more efficient programs to do a lot of the stuff up here (Handbrake and all that shit) but I don't want to do this "professionally", I'm doing it to make my life easier.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by nemarious

This seems to be a very specific thing. My encodes of Angel Beats! (BD) and Panty & Stocking (DVD) and both unaffected by this problem. But my encode of Black Butler S1 (DVD) and Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind (BD) and both affected by it.

I'm curious as to why there is this discrepancy between the series as it's clearly not a format related issue. I'm going to rerip a disc of the Black Butler set and Panty & Stocking set to see if the problem is there from the beginning.

EDIT 1: Okay, I've just ripped the first disc of both Black Butler S1 and Panty & Stocking and after ripping neither series has anything in the Title ID3 tag, both are blank.

This then led me to check the finished .mkv versions (see steps 1-4 in the post above) and they don't have it either.

So, it would seem that somehow converting the files to .avi to play on consoles is the cause of the problem. I'm reconverting the finished .mkv into .avi to confirm this.

EDIT 2: Yeah, it seems like, for whatever reason, Freemake is changing the Title ID3 tag on some series. At least I now know what the problem is but I still have no idea how to rectify it. There's nothing I can find in the settings that explains why it's doing it.

Edited by nemarious

I guess me reason for posting this thread has now changed slightly although the help I require is still largely the same. In my view I have a few options.

1. Find a tool that can change or clear the Title ID3 tag of video files. A quick google in this regard only seems to come up with software that can do this for various types of music formats which is no help whatsoever.

2. FInd a way of doing the equivalent of what I do to get the .mkv file with a .avi file. So, if anyone knows how to write and equivalent basic script that would encode an .avi and software equivalent to mkvmerge for .avi that would be one solution.

3. Find/Use a different encoder to make the .avi files. I've heard good things about AVS but the free version of their video converted puts a watermark on the video which makes the whole process redundant really. I don't have the money to pay for a license either, being unemployed.

If anyone has a solution for me I'd very much appreciate your input.

Edited by nemarious

the id3 tag is probably set by mkvmerge or the equivalant (i think you're using a program called "makemkv").

you can download mkvtoolnix and edit the name that way. there is a kind of "batch" feature, but for this you're probably better off using the command line.

for that, open mkvmergeGUI and add your mkv file (this is before you send it to your avi conversion program). select the video, and type in the name of the episode, or whatever you want the id3 tag to be called. now copy the command line and use that as your base.

simple.

EDIT: just did a little reading, and it appears my way of doing things is a bit over the top. there is mkvpropedit that comes with mkvtoolnix. that way, you don't have to remux the whole file.

Edited by JohnFlower

Thanks for the info. I don't think that will really work for me, it's not the mkv files that have the problem.

Basically, initial rip has nothing in the ID3 tag. Remuxed version with new video has nothing in the ID3 tag. Only after converting to AVI does it have something in the ID3 tag, and that only seems to be certain series. It's not 100% thing.

I, essentially, need something like mkvpropedit for avi files. Is there an equivalent of mkvtoolnix for avi files? Would AviSynth (another program I've read other people mention around the forum) be of any use.

Just a little extra info. makemkv just rips the file straight from your DVD/Blu-Ray and converts it to mkv format. As opposed to other software that creates an iso dump and then you have to mess around afterwards. Additionally, the batch files I made runs in command line. It doesn't run in anything else. Literally, put the file you want to encode in the same folder as the batch files and the x264 bindary then it's drag and drop. Nice and simple.

Why avi anyhow?

I assume makemkv is using x264 to encode to h264.

Rather than re-encode to avi using xvid and cause further quality loss... Simply use MP4Box or Yamb to remux the mkv into an mp4.

The PS3 and 360 from my knowledge fully support h264 video with a profile level of 4.0 or lower.

your method of encoding is bit weird to begin with. i would first rip all the files off the dvd with anydvd or dvdfab, then use hd stream extractor coupled with mkvmerge to get me a workable mkv.

that aside, have you tried naming the video with mkvmergeGUI or mkvpropedit before sending it to that avi conversion program? try that and see what you get.

just fyi, avisynth is for more advanced encoding.

Why avi anyhow?

I assume makemkv is using x264 to encode to h264.

Originally the avi setup I mentioned was the first one I found that worked on both the consoles. I'm not saying it's the best format, I just didn't want to mess around with stuff too much when I'd found something that worked. It's also worth noting this was nearly two years ago so technology will have moved on since then.

As for what video codec makemkv uses to produce the mkvs I don't know. I would imagine as it's still new software (still in beta) that they use the latest and 'best' version for making the stuff. When I put a freshly ripped video in mkvmerge GUI it just say V_MPEG2 which it says with videos I've downloaded from here and via IRC in the past so yeah... whatever that means.

Rather than re-encode to avi using xvid and cause further quality loss... Simply use MP4Box or Yamb to remux the mkv into an mp4.

The PS3 and 360 from my knowledge fully support h264 video with a profile level of 4.0 or lower.

Again, I just found something that worked a few years ago to convert stuff I'd downloaded off this and other sites to work on xbox. I knew even less about this sort of stuff then so I just messed about with setting in a different video converter (cracked AVS 7.x at that time) until something worked. I'll try yamb and see if just repackaging this stuff works. If it does then my problem will, theoretically, be solved.

Your method of encoding is bit weird to begin with. I would first rip all the files off the dvd with anydvd or dvdfab, then use hd stream extractor coupled with mkvmerge to get me a workable mkv.

I think it's perhaps more noobish than it is weird. I don't know what I'm doing (evidently lol) more than it's unusual. Those of you in the know - yourself included clearly - use all kinds on crazy programs to do all sorts of things. When I found makemkv I was just looking for a program that ripped stuff from DVDs and Blu-rays and that was the first one I found. The fact it also converts to MKV whilst ripping was also a positive (I thought when I downloaded it) until I found that I needed to encode again to produce reasonable filesizes.

That aside, have you tried naming the video with mkvmergeGUI or mkvpropedit before sending it to that avi conversion program? try that and see what you get.

Just for clarification purposes, when you say about naming the video with mkvmergeGUI do you mean the bit in the input tab where you click on a track and you can change the track name or do you mean on the Global tab where you can change the 'File/Segment' name? If you mean the former then, yes, every time I encode the file I change the video track name to the same as the episode. If you mean the latter, then no, I haven't tried that. I'll do so and get back to you guys.

All in all, this is some great help. Thanks for being patient with me. I'll try yamb and stuff and see if that works.

Edit: @JohnFlower, I've found using you're method with the File/Segment file name that that would solve the problem because it is found in there. If I delete that and the reconvert I shouldn't have a problem theoretically. I think I'll still try yamb to see if I can retain a bit more quality. Would also save me having to reconvert again.

Edit 2: I think I'm just going to start again. I'm going to delete all the stuff I've ripped and encoded and start again. I tend to learn better from doing things. Additionally, I assume there is a parameter I could add to my batch file that would change the image size of the video? Obviously all DVDs are 720x576 by default so what could I add to my batch file so that these stretch to 720p? I'm not bothered about adding filters and stuff because that's just another level of complexity.

Edited by nemarious

Well, thanks to your help I can sort the problem of the title.

Now, if only I could get yamb to work to see if MP4s play on consoles. It keeps saying there's a dll file missing after I've done a full installation lol.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure I've got the whole image resizing thing from my above post sorted. Apparently adding - vf resize:1280,720 to the end of my batch file should solve the problem. Haven't tried it yet but multiple sources suggest that would do it so...

Edited by nemarious

Okay, I can now get Yamb to work but it fails on creation. The log says

"[16:09:55] : Error importing C:\Users\Mathew\Desktop\Utilities\Encoding\Encode\EP 11 - My Piece_Track1.h264:name=EP 11 - My Piece:fps=23.976: BitStream Not Compliant"

The file is episode eleven of Heaven's Memo Pad. It also does it with episode 12 of the same series. Both of these were MKVs made using my batch file so I tried the first episode of Steins;Gate after downloading it and it gave the same error.

Any idea what's causing this?

I haven't got the EAC3to extractor set up in Yamb but that's not going to make that much difference surely? From the looks of things that's to do with audio conversion and the error is caused when converting video.

Still, I'll get it and see if it fixes the problem...

Edit: Yeah, got EAC3to set up and it still gives me the same error on all 3 files. Curiouser and curiouser... any ideas?

Edited by nemarious

I've been reading some things about the problem possibly being to do with Yamb (or MP4Box specifically) expecting a raw video file as opposed to one that has all the other stuff in it.

Going to try using mkvextract to make a raw video file and then see if Yamb will work with it that way.

Yeah, this is harder than I thought. What do I need to write to get mkvextract to extract the video from the mkv file? So far I have this:

mkvextract tracks EP 11 - My Piece.mkv --fullraw 0:EP 11 - My Piece (Raw Vid).rm

I keep getting an error saying there is 'Missing output file name for argument '11'

I know enougth from the bits of programming I've done to know the gist of what that means but I can't figure it out.

The syntax listed for mkvextract is as follows:

mkvextract {mode} {source-filename} [options] [extraction-spec]

mkvextract tracks EP 11 - My Piece.mkv fullraw 0:EP 11 - My Piece (Raw Vid).rm -- this is what I thought I was doing.

What am I missing?

I'm pretty sure it's the [extraction-spec] bit that I'm doing wrong. It's fairly obvious from the error that there should be something after but I don't know what it is. You guys help me out?

Edited by nemarious

Lol. It would be something like that. Strange though, that the mkvextract help on bunkus doesn't have any quotation marks in its example syntax. I'll try it tomorrow and hopefully get this mess sorted... Well, until I find something that I don't know lol.

Thanks for the help and your patience.

Yeah, okay. That got the script to work and produce a file. The file then wouldn't be opened by Yamb but, meh, this is all superfluous. My original question was answered and MP4s with X264 videos do work, on Xbox at least, so I'll just use freemake for that.

All in all this whole experience with different bits of software and methods and crap just shows how much work all you encoders put in. I certainly don't have the patience for it all myself. Which, I suppose, is a good job I'm doing this for backup purposes and not for sharing.

Also, I know in future, if I ever have a problem, just go straight to JohnFlower lol.

Many thanks for your help.

This thread can be closed/deleted w/e if you guys still do that when questions have been answered

:)