Always on the lookout for new anime to watch

AH1

Hello all,

First of all I'm glad to see the site humming again. I missed it greatly while it was having some hosting and technical troubles.

I'm always on the look out for new anime series to enjoy but the corpus of material is so large I like to ask around for suggestions.

Specifically, I enjoy anime with historical roots like Zipang, le Chev D'eon, and Soten Koru; anime with religious undercurrents like Chrono Crusade and Trinity Blood; and sci fi like Planetes, Cowboy Bebop, HOTD, or The Last Exile.

Although I do like some big robot anime like Gundam or NGE, I'm not into that subgenre particularly.

My list up there was by no means exaustive and I'm willing to givejust about anything a chance. As a nota bene though I have to say that I've probably seen most mainstream popular anime already (eg. Deathnote), which is why I have such difficulty finding new thing to watch.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by Emotional Outlet

Going to recommend Code Geass, seeing as it's widely popular yet not-so-childish. looking at your list it seems you're not too into stuff like onepiece or naruto, but maybe I'm looking in too deep.

Also El Cazador de la Bruja, it's based in 18th century Paris. It's not really based on any historical events (I don't think)- though I think it's well worth a watch.

Also, From the New World is a sci-fi anime that's still being released. (Currently 8 episodes out I think) It has a dark feeling but I haven't read the novels and it's too early to tell, but I'm enjoying it so far.

There's also Fractale, it's a sci-fi. I haven't watched it myself but I think it looks good so it's on my list. Maybe read some reviews on it as I can't tell you much about it.

Ghost Hunt - it's kind of like the show ghost hunters where they setup cameras or bring in psychics and try to determine if a place has paranormal activity and if it does how they should go about fixing it

Shikabane Hime - it's about shikabane which are corpses that come back to life and there are monks that have made contracts with shikabane hime or corpse princesses who help them to fight them

Gunslinger Girl - little girls turned in psyborg assassins

Gantz - after dying two high schoolers are transported to a room where they are told they will be fighting in a game for a chance to survive

Moribito - a prince is to be executed for having a demon inside him which is believed to be causing a drought and is a saved by a spearwoman who becomes his body guard

Basilisk - two ninja clans are chosen to have a fight to the death to decide who the next ruler of the country will be

I gave all of these a 10 out of 10 Gantz is pretty much rated R for violence and nudity just for a warning on that one. I put my list in my sig if you want to see what I've seen and like for reference.

Edited by Animevil

I would recomend Gankutsuou; its an adaptaion of the Count of Monte Cristo

That sounds quite intriquing. Right now, I'm watching Mnesyome. It caught my attention for no other reason than the title is Greek and I am a classics scholar. Haha, it's always interesting to see Greek in anime because they either handle it well or very poorly. Some other "Greek" animes that come to mind are Last Exile and Planetes. Last Exile is funny if for no other reason than they literally copy and pasted the Greek right from a lexicon, including the masculine/feminine case endings!

• 4 weeks later...