Books!

Hey everyone, so I'm finally home and over the past week I've read the same book about seven times cause I've been so bored so now I put forward a question to anyone who wants to help me out. I need some new books and I'm looking for some decent fantasy ones and other fiction novels. So if you know any good books let me know please. :)

I'm mostly looking for things similar to LOTR's or the darren shan books, I love vampires too lol so anything with those will be great probably...Except twilight...So bring on the suggestions!

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out with my boredom and bookshelves

Edited by Emotional Outlet

Well, it's not really LOTR and I've never read the Darren Shan books. But I swear by the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

"Harry Dredsen-Wizard

Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.

Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.

No Love Potions, Endless Purses or

Other Entertainment.

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical thing-and most of then don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a-well, whatever.

There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder commited with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get...interesting. Magic. It can get a guy killed."

Back cover of Storm Front. Book one of the Dresden files.

• Like 1

I would recomend all of the Dresden File books

Some good werewolf/Vampire books are:

Carrie Vaughn-- Kitty Norville Series.

Patricia Briggs--Alpha Omega Series.

Patricia Briggs-- Mercy Thompson Series.

Cassandra Clare-- Mortal Instruments Series.

These are all present time books. Some others that are more like LOTR books might be

George R.R. Martin------all

Christopher Paolini -- Inheritance Series. Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance.

CS Lewis--Chronicles of Narnia.

Robert Jordan-- all his books.

Terry Brooks--Shanara Series.

Anne McCaffrey-- Dragon Riders of Pern Series.

..........well, here are a few I got that are some of the bigger.more known Authors and Books.

I'm reading the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, and they're the best books I've read in a while. I've never read LOTR, but ASOIAF has that medieval setting, along with bits of fantasy. I really recommend this series. I don't usually read fantasy, but I love these.

I second this. I've only managed to read the first book but once I started it I couldn't put the darn thing down. A very good book series, which is also on HBO if you're interested in watching along as you read. What with each season taking place in each book.

George R. R. Martin is an Amazing Author.

Indeed he is. Actually saw him on t.v. at Comic-Con. I'm also a big fan of the the Mortal Instruments series, along with the other one...ummm, Infernal Devices series as well.

As for the Shanara series the only one I've read was the Sword of Shanara so I can't really say too much. Though I did like the book.

Edited by Prometheus1991

Indeed he is. Actually saw him on t.v. at Comic-Con. I'm also a big fan of the the Mortal Instruments series, along with the other one...ummm, Infernal Devices series as well.

As for the Shanara series the only one I've read was the Sword of Shanara so I can't really say too much. Though I did like the book.

The shanara series is all in one world but there are different story lines. you may have 4 books here and there and have a different set of characters. I found it really enjoyable. each collection will have new time period and characters.

The shanara series is all in one world but there are different story lines. you may have 4 books here and there and have a different set of characters. I found it really enjoyable. each collection will have new time period and characters.

Interesting, didn't know that. Does it mean that Allanon is only in the Sword of Shanara? If so it's a shame because I really liked the guy. Despite him hoarding secrets like they were candy.

I started on Clockwork Angel yesterday--a friend read the series and seemed to like it, not to mention the covers looked pretty, haha. She has fairly similar tastes as I do, so I don't balk on taking her suggestions. It seems interesting so far and from what I've read on the love triangle that gets set up within the first few chapters, it's one of the better ones in a while, so I'm interested to see how that turns out. I also tend to be pretty soft on young adult fiction because everyone needs a little fluff in their life from time to time.

I tried to read the first book of Song of Fire and Ice and I just. I don't care about any of the nine thousand characters introduced in the first ten pages. I also tried to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and couldn't get very far in it either.

I started on Clockwork Angel yesterday--a friend read the series and seemed to like it, not to mention the covers looked pretty, haha. She has fairly similar tastes as I do, so I don't balk on taking her suggestions. It seems interesting so far and from what I've read on the love triangle that gets set up within the first few chapters, it's one of the better ones in a while, so I'm interested to see how that turns out. I also tend to be pretty soft on young adult fiction because everyone needs a little fluff in their life from time to time.

I tried to read the first book of Song of Fire and Ice and I just. I don't care about any of the nine thousand characters introduced in the first ten pages. I also tried to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and couldn't get very far in it either.

Mmm, the love triangle was very good. I don't want to go into details lest I spoil it, but it kepy my attention the entire time. Both the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices are good all the way across the series.

As for the characters in the first book of the Song of Ice and Fire series the only ones I actually cared about were Rob Stark, Ned Stark, Arya Stark and Tyrion Lannister, the guy is awesome and by far my favourite in the series, and the wolves I love wolves.

As always I reccomend the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I find the series as a whole incredibly addicting. I must of read each book about half a dozen times.

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far :) I'm going shopping probably tomorrow so I'll certainly pick some of these up or at least glance throughthem and form an opinion. Dresden Files was also a show too, only went for one season though I think, I have it somewhere so those books are appealing to me because I enjoyed the show a lot. Hockey Stick staff ftw!

So yes I will take all of the suggestions into account, I'm sure dymocks will have them or if I'm keen I may go into the city to Kino and look in their huge range of books for them, probably have a better chance of finding them there.

Lul, I'm probably the last person to be offended or annoyed by spoilers. I occasionally go out of my way to spoil myself and still end up surprised when it happens, like with Rue in Hunger Games or even Aislinn and Keenan's relationship in Wicked Lovely (though I haven't gone past Ink Exchange). Knowing what happens and seeing how it leads up to that point are two very different things--something I think some writers forget, and you miss out on a lot of potential character development and progress, opting instead for a sudden "And then he was EVIL" or "And she was actually GOOD" type of twist with no reason.

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far :) I'm going shopping probably tomorrow so I'll certainly pick some of these up or at least glance throughthem and form an opinion. Dresden Files was also a show too, only went for one season though I think, I have it somewhere so those books are appealing to me because I enjoyed the show a lot. Hockey Stick staff ftw!

So yes I will take all of the suggestions into account, I'm sure dymocks will have them or if I'm keen I may go into the city to Kino and look in their huge range of books for them, probably have a better chance of finding them there.

I loved the show, they really should of continued it. It's also rather hard to find, at least it was for me when I was looking for it. I think I had to use around 6 different download sites to get it all. And yes, the hockey stick staff was magic. I did notice a distinct lack of a blasting rod though. But how amazing Bob was more then makes up for it. The only thing I really would of liked was for it to stick to the plot of the novels a bit more. I think there was a good reason they didn't but I can't remember.

• Like 1

The show was an alternate storyline just using the world the books set up thats why, they never meant for it to follow the books. Bob was awesome, his skull was cool lol, that was weird to say. I've never actually seen the show again to buy, I guess I got lucky when I found it at Big W lol, it was like 20 bucks and I enjoyed it all the way up to the point when I found out it was cancelled and was like WTH! WHY!!!??? lol but I still watch it occasionally

Ahh I see, I see. Well if they do decide to start it up again (got my fingers crossed) I hope they align it with the books. I'd love to see how they present...well, just about every character in the series. And you must of been amazingly lucky to find it, I've never been able to find a non-digital copy of it, which I sadly lost when my laptop got borked. I suppose I should spend tomorrow trying to get the series again. Oh, and another book series by Jim Butcher that I forgot to mention is the Codex Alera series. It's also really good.

• Like 1

Ahh I see, I see. Well if they do decide to start it up again (got my fingers crossed) I hope they align it with the books. I'd love to see how they present...well, just about every character in the series. And you must of been amazingly lucky to find it, I've never been able to find a non-digital copy of it, which I sadly lost when my laptop got borked. I suppose I should spend tomorrow trying to get the series again. Oh, and another book series by Jim Butcher that I forgot to mention is the Codex Alera series. It's also really good.

I hope they start it up again too but I doubt they will, although if they create a new series based on the books it would probably do better since I think that's what majority of people expected when the show came out, so the disappointment of fans ended in the shows cancellation. Ebay may be a way to find a copy of it for cheap, otherwise I'd be hitting the low price bins at your retail stores, you may find the little hidden gem that is Dresden Files on DVD, good luck with your search! :)

..... I got 6,000 books on my computer. and every one that has been mentioned on the post so far. As for the Dresden Files, I have never seen the show. I love the books so much I don't think that I could handle the show. It would be a disappointment I believe. I am currently reading the last book right now and have gotten stuck. If I go on and finish, then it is over.

I hope they start it up again too but I doubt they will, although if they create a new series based on the books it would probably do better since I think that's what majority of people expected when the show came out, so the disappointment of fans ended in the shows cancellation. Ebay may be a way to find a copy of it for cheap, otherwise I'd be hitting the low price bins at your retail stores, you may find the little hidden gem that is Dresden Files on DVD, good luck with your search! :)

What we need is a petition! Fans of the Dresden Files worldwide should unite and make a petition to get them to bring the show back, and to match it to the books. Although now that I think about it the Storm Front episode was somewhat similar to the book.

• Like 1

Not to bring the show back Prometheus but to redesign it to match the books and create a new series, the REAL dresden files. I think fans would be much happier with that.

Rep, I know what you're going through with the not wanting to finish it so it isnt over, I do that a lot with tv shows and animes, I wont watch the last episode so it doesnt end, although I usually end up watching it a few months later when I rewatch the series because by then I want to know how it ends...Still a little sad when a good show or book ends though...But I can always watch it again or re-read it