How are you supporting the industry?

Proxy11

Hello People, since the Anime industry seems to be drying up in some avenues I wanted to know what other people were doing to help show their support. This site and some similar are good places to find out about new shows you enjoy and to communicate with other fans but if these sites are as far as you go than your being very short sited. Obviously I'm here so I love the site to death but this is my small system, all the shows I watch are from here or somewhere free. If I enjoy the show to a certain extent I'll finish it. Those I finish I make a goal to purchase but if it's not my kind of Anime then I will not have watched it far enough to warrant a purchase. I want to find new ways to show my support so I wanted to hear some of yours.

I also like the idea of supporting the industry because after all I like it and if I don't support it, it can die. I just started to buy some anime specially in Blu-Ray and of course just the ones that I think are worth it. If i do this it doesn't really make a difference, but if we all do, we can keep the anime industry live!

Right now, I don't make enough to buy the ridiculously expensive dvd/blue rays. I do however like your idea of buying the ones that you enjoyed later. That is something I've thought about doing for a while now and I probably will buy my favorites when I have sufficient funds. How ever, I don't think people watching anime for free is really a bad thing, the more popular an anime gets the more people who can afford it will end up buying it. There is no way I would honestly spend money on all of the anime I've seen but I have recommended ones that I've liked to friends who have ended up buying it later on.

I agree Trend some Anime shows are just so ridiculously expensive that sites like this are the only logical place to watch them. As long as the goal is there and you have the extra funds then all is good. It's taken me 2 years to get the first 5 Ergo Proxy DVD's and am still waiting on the 6th. When the opportunity permits itself I'll get it. As long as we all move towards purchasing the Anime even if it's a 10 dollar box set maybe we can pick this thing back up. Although I feel sites like this are very necessary to get the shows out there in the first place.

I agree with Trend too, those things are expensive and I don't have a blu-ray player, and I am currently working for free (it's officially an internship, but whatever). But when I'll get some money i'll buy a PS3 to play blu-ray discs and I will buy the series that I liked, for example Code Geass, Gurren Lagann and Black Lagoon. Or I could buy the available on the Zune Marketplace, but I would prefer a physical disc over the pain in the ass of DRM.

Erm I don't find them expensive at all. Most series I get for like $1 an episode or LESS on Blu-ray. I guess it all depends on when and where you look. I tend to wait for sales (often preorders have good sells too). RightStuf offers different sales every single week on Anime or Manga. Amazon, well add whatever you want to your wishlist and then check it every so often to see if the price has dropped to a reasonable price. I find most Sentai releases are extremely overpriced but most FUNimation releases are fairly reasonable. Viz is a joke who rarely releases anything outside of Naruto and Bleach (which they've stalled the latter).

iv never bought a game unless i played it 1st and i liked it! the same goes for anime! i buy there DVD's if i liked them, most of my collection is still in mint condition (not opened) and i like having them this way! the problem is that where i live its hard to find Original DVD's of anime, i mostly buy them online and that cost me the overseas shipping, that is sometimes more expensive than the DVD its self! so i only buy what i think is a legened anime, and not long one at the same time! Code Gease for example, and even though i think One Piece is a good one but its to much pain to buy in my case!!

Wtf is wrong with you guys, if buying it is too expensive then rent it! It will still somewhat help the industry out, by just making up excuses and saying you can't pay for it, you are single handily killing the anime industry. I used to rent a lot of animes, but now I'm saving up money to buy myself a Blu-ray burner and I will either start buying Blu-ray animes or rent them (maybe learn to encode and make my own encodes xD).

Wtf is wrong with you guys, if buying it is too expensive then rent it! It will still somewhat help the industry out, by just making up excuses and saying you can't pay for it, you are single handily killing the anime industry. I used to rent a lot of animes, but now I'm saving up money to buy myself a Blu-ray burner and I will either start buying Blu-ray animes or rent them (maybe learn to encode and make my own encodes xD).

Making up excuses?! I have a "job" that gives me no money, that's not made up. And a blu-ray player is expensive, I won't buy them in another format because when I buy something, I buy the best possible version, especially if I'm going to use it a lot.

Yeah sure, you can't even spend one dollar on renting? Over here renting animes that are a few months old is about 1 AUD, and older animes are about 50cents. If you go for new releases it's about 4 dollars, but you can get it cheaper if you rent on certain days.

I don't really like renting stuff and over here there is not a lot of anime available in stores. I could rent it through the Zune marketplace, but I don't like the whole microsoft points thing and not everything is available. I wouldn't like to spend the little money I have on something I never saw, so I'll buy the blu-rays of stuff I like. That way, I'll support the industry even more because I'll give them more money for each episode

Making up excuses?! I have a "job" that gives me no money, that's not made up. And a blu-ray player is expensive, I won't buy them in another format because when I buy something, I buy the best possible version, especially if I'm going to use it a lot.

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but a cheap/decent Blu-ray player here is like $50 or $60, but most people including myself just use their Playstation 3 as a Blu-ray player.

Well I haven't a fan of anime for very long so I'm not to the stage where I'm whipping myself for not supporting the industry yet, but I most certainly do plan on buying DVD/Blu-rays eventually though.

I hadn't even thought about renting the animes though, and it sounds like a pretty reasonable idea. I'll have to look into that.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man,... As it seems because of recent problems my post here disappeared. So I will... resurrect it. So how it was?:... :confuse:

I do NOT support industry! Nor anime, nor any other (music, movies). And I won't do that. And why is that? Well, there are couple of reasons:

Considering anime: no one sells anime, nor anime related material in our country. So how I could support something, that isn't here? You could suggest buying overseas. But I would decline that kind of offer. Why? Well:

a) too risky (there are no guarantees that I will get what I ordered and in worse case scenario I wouldn't like to waist time finding out what and why);

B) too long to wait (it would take too much time to bring here what I ordered);

c) money problems (converting our currency to other would put me in disadvantage; talking about dollars to litai it would be somewhere 1 to 4 (1$ equal to our 4Lt ~ something about that))

Considering music and movie industry: I could by movies and some music albums (not all though, as metal isn't very popular here and selection of it should be (though I'm not sure) dull), but...:

a) prices are too high. In past (when I hadn't access to Internet) I could buy pirated music CD for 10Lt, when original of it would cost about 70Lt. So you can see the difference. The things hadn't changed much to these days.

b)waste of time. Going to shop or ordering online takes too much time, way too much. With couple of pushes of mouse button I can have anything I want in my HDD, but if I want to have it legally... Registering, paying through bank account and so on. Real waste and confusion. It is much faster just to jump to torrent site, write name and... it is already in your PC. So easy, so fast.

So that's that. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. Oh well. I and my excuses. :dhh:

Yeah same here I figured they got deleted. (if a mod did delete my post please tel me)

I'll sum up my previous post. Things are to complicated right now to just simply support much. Until things return to normal, I'm not going to worry to much about it sense there to little some one out side of Japan can do.

So i'll just support it in other ways. Like in the old days no one barely new what anime was. But those first die hards kept it going and gave it the exposure it needed. So for now I will support the fan base and help keep things alive.

First off I would just like to say anyone that isn't supporting the industry in any way are Fools... If I download any anime and like it I will buy the box sets if they release it on blu ray I will also buy them too but only Eng dub ones. I have done this for years I had all the ledgend of the four kings, guyver (the origanal ones that they only did like 12 ep in english) Angel cop and a load more on VHS (yeah you can google VHS if you don't know what it is :doubt: )... Even though I have all the naruto box sets and movies on dvd I will buy them on blu ray eng dub as soon as they come out, the same with all the ones i have. I also support them by buying other memorabilia as well like Gundam wing models and stuff like that. I'm not saying everyone should go buy everything they have ever watched, but if YOU thought it was really good and want to see more like it throw a bit of money there way. Even if its just by buying a £3 key ring that you might just bin any ways, it still helps to make sure the industry dosen't dye... Ok thats my 2 cents worth, sorry for the mad rant :byebye:

• 3 weeks later...