Toonami

Koby

America's Cartoon Network has revealed at Georgia's Anime Weekend Atlanta convention this morning that it will end its Toonami programming block tonight after 11 years. The official announcement will be made during tonight's final run, with an "important message" during the 10:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. ET/PT timeslot. Naruto has been the only Japanese series in this Saturday evening block recently, but Toonami used to host a variety of Japanese-animated programs when it began as a weekday afternoon block in 1997. Among those titles were Voltron, Robotech, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Ronin Warriors, G-Force: Guardians of Space, Blue Submarine No. 6, Tenchi Muyo!, Cardcaptors, Zoids, .hack//SIGN, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, The Big O, Outlaw Star, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Cyborg 009, Duel Masters, Astro Boy, Gundam, Rave Master, Zatch Bell, One Piece, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Pokémon, MÄR, The Prince of Tennis, Megaman Star Force, Bakugan Battle Brawlers, and Blue Dragon. The Toonami Jetstream online streaming service will reportedly still continue, and Cartoon Network is working to import the Japanese-animated Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z spinoff that is based on its own Powerpuff Girls series.

Two episode of Naruto are currently scheduled for tonight at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. The 2002 live-action Spider-Man film will run instead of Toonami on September 27, although most television listings have not been updated yet. Batman: Gotham Knight, this summer's Japanese-animated video tie-in to The Dark Knight film, will then run on October 4 at 8:00 p.m. After Batman: Gotham Knight, an episode of Naruto, "Powerful Helper," will run at 9:30 p.m., but there are no other episodes scheduled yet.

Source: gaijinside, and ANN

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH CARTOON NETWORK. Does anybody know why they don't care about fans. Ps why can't I post new treads.

Post new threads in what board? If it's the news board.. then only staff can.. but almost all other boards you can/should be able to.

-----------------------

Okay first Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" moves all their anime except Bleach to the 5 AM "death slots"...

Then Cartoon Network shuts down "Toonami" after it's 11 years of running...

What does this mean for English Dubbed Anime? Nothing good.. :'(

We will basically be left with only Sci-fi's "Ani-Monday".

I've heard FUNimation closed their "Colours TV" channel that was on Dish Network.. though since I no longer have Dish Network.. I could be wrong.. but I do believe they were the only cable/satellite company to have that channel to begin with.. So thats another channel of english anime that is gone..

Is G4tv still airing any anime... and if so are they any good? I remember watching R.O.D the TV and Gad Guard there several years back..

Anyhow.. where does Toonami shutting down leave Naruto? Is it doomed to no longer air.. or is it being moved to Adult Swim or what? And with the recent Adult Swim moving anime to the death slots... and Toonami closing.. it sure doesnt' look good for Naruto Shippuuden and any future English Dubbed Anime... :/

------------------------------

Okay good news Naruto fans, seems Naruto will continue to air, although at one episode per week instead of two. It wont be on any special programming like Toonami, etc.. just plain ol' Cartoon Network on Saturdays.

Schedule of Anime on TV in US & Canada

http://www.animeontv.com/tv.htm

Yes funimation did pull off of colours tv and g4tv is no longer playing anime so cartoon network doing its thing soon it will just be scifi's animonday witch sucks because sarah conner cronicle is on for the first hour of animonday. shows you that stupid people who can't tell fantasy from fictoin end afecting fans shows exept when it comes to wwe for some reason

I cannot belive this! those jerks at cartoon network! they are horrible people and don't care about anything but money!! toonami was the best thing since sliced bread, suikoden and kya dark lineage!!!

cartoon network is slowly turning into a kiddie channel with all of the lame shows they have (no offence to anyone that likes a show on cartoon network, i like some of them too but not many), it used to be for everyone :doubt:.

They need to create a Anime Network, like Cartoon Network except for anime. And make it as an available channel in the top 100, then all the anime fans would get their fix.

Yeah i agree with you, that would deffinatly be a good idea and i would also never watch cartoon network again! i really only watch it for the anime becuase they don't put any of the good shows on anymore like teen titans.

• 1 year later...
nothing is good on Cartoon Network anymore. I remember when Cartoon Network used to be the best place for cartoons but now it SUCKS! They should bring back the animes that used to make Cartoon Network the best place for ANIME.

Yeah, I've gotten to where I don't watch anything there any more. They only air Bleach for a couple months then take it off for nearly a year.. and Naruto they just stopped airing, Moribito took over a year to get the series aired.. and right now I believe they aren't anything anything new?

Well Naruto Shippuden is on Disney XD tomorrow from (i think) 7:00 - 10:00 pm, don't remember and to lazy to turn on TV. I don't either, I mean I don't watch Cartoon Network anymore.

EDIT: Nope nothing good that is. Cartoon network sucks now.

Disney is behind the DVD releases though. So I just get the iTune DVD rips since they are better quality then the Disney TV rips.. plus unlike the Disney TV rips... the iTunes DVD rips are uncut and unedited. xD

At the moment we have up to episode 34 for download in our Anime Downloads section. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
But I thought that this was old news that Toonami was killed off a long time ago...

And I agree, I do think they should have a channel devoted to anime only. They don't have that here in the good old U.S.A. do they? Sometimes I wonder why.

It is old news. It was posted in 2008.. but some people keep reviving very old topics lately.

I agree, they should make a channel dedicated to Anime 24/7 though.

This thread is old and outlived it's purpose, to prevent further posting.

*closed*

• 3 months later...
Anyone remember watching toonami (the 3 or 4 hour block of anime that used to be on cartoon network after school)? I grew up watching yu yu hakusho and dbz on toonami everyday. Where did it go?

Toonami got cancelled I ripped this from Wiki explaining it:

On Saturday September 20, 2008, Cartoon Network ended Toonami. Employees who worked on the block moved to other parts of the channel. Anime was mostly handled by Adult Swim, and a new block "CN Real" replaced Toonami on Saturday nights afterward. Toonami Jetstream remained with the Toonami name until January 30, 2009. At the end of Toonami's final airing, the host, voiced by Steven Blum, ended the block with a brief, final monologue:

“Well, this is the end, beautiful friends. After more than 11 years, this is Toonami's final broadcast. It's been a lot of fun, and we'd like to thank each and every one of you who made this journey with us. Toonami wouldn't have been anything without you. Hopefully we've left you with some good memories. So, until we meet again, stay gold. Bang".